AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Conrad-Johnson

Conrad-Johnson It just sounds right

Old 10-28-2011, 04:55 PM

Question Opinions/Thoughts on the CA200 ....

Has anyone compared the CA200 to the ET250? How does the CA200 stand up to its more expensive siblings?

Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:54 PM

I had the CA200 and found it to be one of THE best amplifiers I had in my system. The CA200 is very similar to the Premier 350SA. It has great transparency, a huge soundstage and very good dynamics. I did not keep it mainly because I needed a power amp and it did not make sense to use them as a power amp. I have to say the CA200 had many advantages over the stock LP125M monoblocks I got later. I assume that after upgrading the 125M to SE things will be different. I still miss the CA200 and might get it anyway as a second amplifier.
I loved that big little amp!
Old 10-29-2011, 02:06 AM

Thanks. I keep looking at one but am waiting for more reports on the ET250S. So much gear, so little time.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:59 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I've also heard that the CA200 sounds more like a Premier 350 than anything else C-J put out, and that is not a bad thing. I heard a Pr350 from the guy I bought my Pr17 from, it is one of the most impressive amps I've ever heard. A lot like a Burmester 911 Mk3.

Joe, FWIW, I have a friend who as an ET250S and he loves it; he uses it very effectively to drive Maggies, just about the hardest speaker to drive. He thinks it is a real "sleeper", a truly excellent product that almost no one knows about. I read a review of once in a mag where the guys at C-J also think the ET250S is a "sleeper", and one that pairs beautifully with a tube preamp. I've thought many times myself about getting one, and would love to have one to live with for a while.

Trouble is, I'm extremely happy with my LP70S. It's a gorgeous sounding amp, and I got for a steal, only $2500 in like-new condition.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 10-31-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:04 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenash View Post
I had the CA200 and found it to be one of THE best amplifiers I had in my system.
I loved that big little amp!
Not surprising, I've heard the same thing about this control amp from everyone who has ever had or heard one.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 AM

The main reason I shy away from some nice tube amps is because the amount of time my system is on. There has been a great deal on a demo CA200 & sometimes the ET250's show up at reasonable prices.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 PM
dpod4

I'd love to hear opinions on rank order of best to less from anyone who has heard all three of these:
- CJ CA200
- LP275m
- ET250s
Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpod4 View Post
I'd love to hear opinions on rank order of best to less from anyone who has heard all three of these:
- CJ CA200
- LP275m
- ET250s
Me too!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:28 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I haven't heard any of these, but I would hazard a guess:

1) LP275M
2) ET250S
3) CA200
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

I think the LP275M is in a different price range and would definitly be the best choice if (and thi is a bug if)
1. You are willing to pay the high electricity bills - They will eat up ~1K watt each when powered on.
2. You are willing to pay ~$1000 for replacement tubes every 2-3 years.

The CA200 are in the same price range. I have heard both. The ET250s is a bit warmer in tone and you can fine tune it through tube rolling. The CA200 is dead natural, super detailed, transparent and has that seductive CJ glow. With the CA200 you also get a build in passive preamp that has worked with any cable or source component I have tried extremely well.

If I was to make a purchase now I would get the CA200. I might still get it in addition to the LP125m I have. It is that good!