AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Chris.......Not to be overlooked, there is incredible value in purchasing pre-owned components and speakers. A $10K budget goes much farther when a system is built around quality used components and speakers versus full priced retail.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-17-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Chris.......Not to be overlooked, there is incredible value in purchasing pre-owned components and speakers. A $10K budget goes much farther when a system is built around quality used components and speakers versus full priced retail.
. I don't want to be accused of making a blatant plug, but the For Sale section of AA is a great place to start. I got a minty MCD500 from a member for half the retail price - and he was an incredible gentleman to deal with.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Merry Christmas to all

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-17-2014, 11:56 PM

Yeah no kidding - I sold all my McIntosh gear in the AA marketplace, and I feel like I gave it away

Point being, you can find some mint gear in there for a lot of savings.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:09 PM

OK, I'd like to revive this moribund thread a bit. While arguments can be made regarding whether more of your budget should be spent on the source vs. more should be spent on the speakers in a system, I personally think its a good idea to try to find some synergistic balance between various components. I was just looking at one audiophile's signature on another website (both of which shall remain anonymous) and while he had about $6Gs invested in his digital front end, less than 3Gs invested in his analog front end, and less than $10Gs invested in speakers, he had over $40Gs invested in preamp/amp/cables. Go figure. So what is the best approach when you're spending your audio budget?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I second that. The Robert Harley book that Cyril mentions is a GREAT source for anyone that wants to get into this hobby. And of course AA is another great source.

I think another few tidbits are:

1. You can build a quality system on a smaller budget. It won't be legendary, but it will certainly provide musical satisfaction. The point is, you don't have to be rich. Look at the $5k system that E just put together with LS50's! I bet that sounds great.

2. Everything matters. Each little tweak, every inch your speakers are toed in or out will make a difference, and it's up to you to leave no stone unturned!

3. Don't get so caught up in the system that you forget the music. Keep your eye on the prize - enjoying your favorite music in a way that moves you.
With the Ls-50's you can put a decent system together for 3k.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:49 PM
Music Provides Joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
...So what is the best approach when you're spending your audio budget?
Speakers + Room; amplifier, source, other stuff.

Listening Room (2 Channel): Vandersteen 5A speakers, Simaudio Moon Neo 400M Mono Block Amplifiers, Esoteric D-07X DAC (preamp) via Apple Mac Mini (Roon), Furman IT-Reference 20i Power Cond., Wireworld.
Listening Room (HT Portion): Vandersteen VCC-5 Center, Vandersteen VSM Signature Surrounds, JL Audio CR1 Crossover, JL Audio f110 v2 Subwoofer, Marantz SR 5010 Receiver, Wireworld

Office: KEF R500 Speakers; Sonos Amp fed by Roon
Family Room: Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speakers, McIntosh MA6600 Integrated Amplifier, Pro-Ject RME 9.1 TT w/ Sumiko Blackbird MC Cart.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:09 PM

I'll second that. At least 2 thirds (66%) of your attention going to speakers and room acoustics.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:19 PM

I guess that you guys don't subscribe to the teachings of the founder of Linn - that first you start with the source. An LP12 'natch.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
I guess that you guys don't subscribe to the teachings of the founder of Linn - that first you start with the source. An LP12 'natch.
Chris.......Would you expect anything else from Linn?