AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 04-12-2009, 10:26 AM
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
Care to compare the sound that you got from your PMC's versus on XLS's?

Thanks in advance.
Yep, not easy to compare though. Some brief history - My experience with PMC started as I was downsizing years ago, I was looking for higher performance monitors, cheap and used. TB2s fit that application. They were my introduction to transmission line speakers. I was hooked.

Sold them for a pair of cherry FB1s, installed the '+' kit and they too sounded great. The AB1s came up on Agon, price was right and it solved my floor standing issue, I simply wanted to get the speakers off the floors to accommodate my neighbors downstairs. When I sold the AB1s to fund an amp, I missed them so much I grabbed a local dealer demo pair of maple GB1s. Now they were really something. Same dealer, had the xls360s, for a song I picked those up and have never looked back.

AB1 xls360 comparison - I can say with the history of PMCs in my room, I was always amazed at the accuracy and detail. For me the downside was the rest of the food chain, always a weak link somewhere, and the PMCs told me so. The difficulty is comparing the 2 way ATL to a 3 way twin driver sealed aluminum box.

I AB1 has a sweet soft dome tweeter, well blended with the 9" Dyn driver, a good balance. The 25-25hz freq response was more than enough low end for me. In fact it was perfect for my needs. It was only when I hooked up the xls360s that I could define what was lacking in the AB1s. Hands down the xls360 midrange is hard to beat, vocals outstanding. BUT I will agree with Alberto in his listening session with a pair of xls360s, the mids depending on several factors can be a tad forward. I have a few recordings where this is definitely an issue. The twin 10" drivers in the 360s are much tighter, accurate yes but overall the 360s are simply more musical all around.

Similarities in sound might be the performance at very low listening levels, I was very surprised the 360s could compete in that area, AB1s being transmission line and all.

The AB1 was a much older model, and a true working studio monitor to boot. At time of purchase I knew the xls360s were weak in the very low end octaves, but my plans for twin subs would take care of that eventually.

Moving forward it will be extremely hard to decide between PMC and McIntosh, for me it will come down to amp synergy. The current partnership between the mc602 and the xls360s is hard to beat.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg

Last edited by gtubes; 04-13-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-12-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

I am hearing so many great things about the new PMC's...

Of course having the LS360's and the power to drive them, PMC are going to have to show me something pretty special to top what I currently have.

I am interested in the TB's for a small set up with monitors and perhaps a small sub... I know many here prefer this type of set up.

Then the IB's might be a interesting upgrade to my LS's.

We will see.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
What?

two dot, I am convinced if I were to change my mind and go subless down the road I would have to look at the EB1s, or IB2s..that is to go upwards from the xls360s in my space. I listened to the EB1s at length at my dealer. I would argue (for lack of a better word), the EB1s require some breathing room, room I do not have. They were unbelievable and to see them sell for 9k on Agon keeps me up at night.

I'd like to see you have the opportunity to listen to both your LS360s against the IB2s, in your room. Then again looking at your 501s and source, that may still be a lateral move.
Unison Research Sinfonia Anniversary. McIntosh D100 > Bluesound Node2i > Tidal. Clearaudio Performance DC. Gold Note PH-10, Gold Note PSU-10. Isol-8 InLine. Shunyata Research Hydra Delta D6. Wireworld. Acoustic Zen. Audioquest. Klipsch Cornwall III.

Greg
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Here's a pic of my PMC I took this afternoon.....

Last edited by 'cisco; 04-12-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Merry Christmas to all

'cisco.......Looks like a nice day in Hawaii. What is that on the Oppo, some sort of Hoetie tweek? The PMC GB1i's look great. I like to hear your system.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-12-2009, 08:34 PM
What?

'cisco, nice cherry GB1s, and I like your rack. It looks easily adjustable, or is that fixed?

Greg
Old 04-12-2009, 09:11 PM

cisco,

I love the looks of your system. Beautiful. Simplistic. Someone once said that the perfect design is achieved not when nothing else can be added, but when nothing else can be taken away.

To me, you have acheived perfection!

Enjoy.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
'cisco.......Looks like a nice day in Hawaii. What is that on the Oppo, some sort of Hoetie tweek? The PMC GB1i's look great. I like to hear your system.
Hey Dan....haven't you heard of this great new tweak written up on Stereophile? In my case it made my MC252 sound like a pair of 501's...boy,what a difference a miniature ceramic vase makes

You're always welcome here in paradise but it's not going to sound anything like your systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
cisco,

I love the looks of your system. Beautiful. Simplistic. Someone once said that the perfect design is achieved not when nothing else can be added, but when nothing else can be taken away.

To me, you have acheived perfection!

Enjoy.
Thanks two dot....It's still a work in progress...I may wanna get a wood rack sometime in the future.

So is a pair of PMC's in your future?
Old 04-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'cisco View Post
Hey Dan....haven't you heard of this great new tweak written up on Stereophile? In my case it made my MC252 sound like a pair of 501's...boy,what a difference a miniature ceramic vase makes

You're always welcome here in paradise but it's not going to sound anything like your systems.

Thanks two dot....It's still a work in progress...I may wanna get a wood rack sometime in the future.

So is a pair of PMC's in your future?
Perhaps...

either for the main system or a pr of TB's for a second system
Old 04-12-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc602 View Post
'cisco, nice cherry GB1s, and I like your rack. It looks easily adjustable, or is that fixed?
Hi mc602...thanks and they sound great also. The shelves are easily adjustable. Not bad for about $100 and change