AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PMC Speakers

PMC Speakers UK's Finest

Old 02-13-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post
I know where there are a MINT pair of EB1i's for sale, say the word and they'll be headed to Jasper by 5pm today...
are you selling yours already?
Old 02-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rob.......I'm thinking his PMC EB1i's might not be efficient enough for Stephen's Class A bliss.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 AM

Yes, sadly the fabulous PMC EB1i's are for sale.

If it not for moving to a much smaller place I would have gladly kept the PMC as my last speaker forever. They just do everything very well. Seriously the best speaker that I have lived with.

I hope to post some photos of my new listening space tomorrow... it gives new meaning to "near field".

The new low powered SET amp and efficient speakers are giving me great sound in my little room.

I look forward to the day when I will have the room and the living stability to have a 501/C500/PMC system again.

You CANNOT go wrong with PMC speakers
Old 03-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Stephen,
now that I spent some time with the EB1i, and having the experience of 8 different pairs of speakers in 10 years, I 'm now convinced that the perfect speakers do not exist.
Perfection is not reachable by men, for anything.
When we get a new pair of speakers, we all think it will be the last one. With time, we realize the sound could be more of this and less of that....
I have listened to many expensive speakers. All of them had some kind of shortcomings. I know that I could find better speakers than mine for some aspects but they will be less good on other points.
Maybe that at 150000 euros
I could find a 'near perfect' speaker but i will never spend that kind of money.
The PMC EB1i are far from being perfect. They don't do everything.
But as long as they will give me the will to listen to more and more music, they will be here to stay.
The only still affordable speakers I could think of that could replace them are very big JBL and Tannoy Prestige ones...
Cheers,
Jerome

Last edited by Jerome W; 03-18-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:15 PM
Merry Christmas to all

I have to chime in here. I may be the primary reason why many folks here at AA have taken an interest in the PMC EB1i speakers. I believe I was the first in our group to embrace the PMC EB1i's, and I have come to believe they are the best sounding speakers on the market under $20k, period. Of course, that is just my humble opinion.

I have owned big JBL's, big Altec's, B&W, Definative Technology, Sonus Faber, and many other speakers over the past 43 years in this amazing hobby. I have auditioned many, many manufacturer's speakers at audio showrooms all over the United States, in all price ranges, including many stat panel speakers. I have had the pleasure to sit for hours with several friend's systems that include big B&W's, Focal, and McIntosh speakers. When I experienced the PMC EB1i speakers I was completely mesmerized by their overall tonal balance from bottom to top, as well as their effortless dynamics, clarity, and power handling capabilities. I have owned, and lived with the PMC EBi1's for a year and a half, and still find myself thoroughly immersed in audio pleasure each time the music flows. They do so many things right.

I have read the comments on their lack of some exotic shape, or unique cabinet design, but let me tell you they produce music oh so well. I find their fit and finsh to be very attractive. Obviously I am a happy, and biased owner. Were it not for all my years in this hobby, and exposure to a plethora of different speakers through these years, I might be considered narrow minded in my judgement, but my long history affords me the experience and ability to determine good sound when I hear it.

I am not trying to say my PMC EB1i's are the best speakers in the world, or that they are perfect. Like Jerome, I understand perfect is more a concept of man's imagination than reality. Still, the PMC EB1i speakers are a tremendous value, and sound far more expensive than thier price point.

The bottom line ultimately comes down to the subjectivity of sound. We all hear differently. The brain chemistry generated by the excitement of the auditiory nerves will never be the same for any two individuals. Such is life, and this alone provides the foundation for the huge selection of speakers we have to chose from. I love this hobby.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 03-18-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two dot View Post

I look forward to the day when I will have the room and the living stability to have a 501/C500/PMC system again.
Just about as good as it gets!

Last edited by BuffaloBill; 03-18-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I am not trying to say my PMC EB1i's are the best speakers in the world, or that they are perfect. Like Jerome, I understand perfect is more a concept of man's imagination than reality.
Here is an interesting point of view from Dave Wilson.

YouTube - Conversations, Part II
Old 03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Serge.......Thanks for the link. Dave Wilson is an articulate, and passionate speaker designer who clearly has a firm grasp of the limiting factors in speaker designs. It is so true......no perfect speaker, no perfect microphone, no perfect wire, no perfect recording.

It is still a ton of fun. Joy and satisfaction are extremely individual emotions. All I know is I am still going strong in my fascination with audio reproduction. A fair chunk of my discretionary income has helped support any number of audio equipment and speaker manufacturers. Every step has been a learning experience that I would not trade back for the money.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
I have to chime in here. I may be the primary reason why many folks here at AA have taken an interest in the PMC EB1i speakers. I believe I was the first in our group to embrace the PMC EB1i's, and I have come to believe they are the best sounding speakers on the market under $20k, period. Of course, that is just my humble opinion.

I have owned big JBL's, big Altec's, B&W, Definative Technology, Sonus Faber, and many other speakers over the past 43 years in this amazing hobby. I have auditioned many, many manufacturer's speakers at audio showrooms all over the United States, in all price ranges, including many stat panel speakers. I have had the pleasure to sit for hours with several friend's systems that include big B&W's, Focal, and McIntosh speakers. When I experienced the PMC EB1i speakers I was completely mesmerized by their overall tonal balance from bottom to top, as well as their effortless dynamics, clarity, and power handling capabilities. I have owned, and lived with the PMC EBi1's for a year and a half, and still find myself thoroughly immersed in audio pleasure each time the music flows. They do so many things right.

I have read the comments on their lack of some exotic shape, or unique cabinet design, but let me tell you they produce music oh so well. I find their fit and finsh to be very attractive. Obviously I am a happy, and biased owner. Were it not for all my years in this hobby, and exposure to a plethora of different speakers through these years, I might be considered narrow minded in my judgement, but my long history affords me the experience and ability to determine good sound when I hear it.

I am not trying to say my PMC EB1i's are the best speakers in the world, or that they are perfect. Like Jerome, I understand perfect is more a concept of man's imagination than reality. Still, the PMC EB1i speakers are a tremendous value, and sound far more expensive than thier price point.

The bottom line ultimately comes down to the subjectivity of sound. We all hear differently. The brain chemistry generated by the excitement of the auditiory nerves will never be the same for any two individuals. Such is life, and this alone provides the foundation for the huge selection of speakers we have to chose from. I love this hobby.
Very well said Dan !
And once again I thank you very much for the inspiration you gave me to go to listen to the EB1i.
They are truly amazing speakers.
And they actually gave me the will, for the first time, to stop looking for ( and I mean buying ) new speakers for my main system.
I'm still looking at some speakers which I'm interested in, but just with curiosity ( Wilson Sasha, JBL Everest, Tannoy Westminster.....) and not with the will to buy anything...

Cheers,
Jerome
Old 03-19-2010, 10:14 AM

Sorry to high-jack this thread, but i am unable to create a new thread.

My dealer has suggested wiring my EB1i's with XLO Signature 3's bi-wired.

Has any body tried this cable.

Any other suggestions. I am attached to Bryston 7b-SSt2's