AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 12-16-2018, 01:17 PM

Default Why won't my BDP3 play with my Oppo205?

I have tried several times to get an answer to this question, but so far no joy. I want to use my Bryston into my Oppo via USB and from there into my SP3 via balanced cables, so I can use the full MQA capabilities of the Oppo I get no signal whatsoever.

Oppo, to their credit, at least responded. Crickets from anyone here on the Bryston threads. Oppo says the BDP3 probably doesn't have the proper drivers for the Oppo. Isn't USB USB? Can Bryston provide the drivers I need?

The Oppo has excellent DACs, and works as a Roon endpoint with full MQA decoding. I know MQA is controversial, but I have spent the money on the gear and I want to decide for myself.

Right now I have bypassed the BDP and am using an imac as my Roon core, and running the signal through the Oppo by ethernet, and then XLRs to the SP3. Sounds very good, but I want the full MQA experience, then I can decide for myself where to go from there. If I can use the BDP in the chain, I'll keep it. Otherwise it's just a very expensive brick.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Last edited by moonhawk; 12-16-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 02:06 PM

Why not use the BDP 3 S/PDIF or HDMI outputs which are not driver dependent?
Old 12-16-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Why not use the BDP 3 S/PDIF or HDMI outputs which are not driver dependent?
Thanks, Kal. Because the Oppo only does the full MQA fold with the USB input.

I'll give the HDMI input a try just to compare sound, but it won't do full MQA, and I really want to hear that for myself. I've read a million opinions about it from others, but I'd really like to try it myself.

Thanks again for your response.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:43 AM

Hi Dave

USB connections are determined by the 'DAC' used not the 'player' - as far as I know the BDP-3 does not have drivers as such.

I will ask Chris Rice though to be sure.

james
Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 AM

According to the UDP 205 manual all of its connections are outputs with the exception one HDMI port. It appears the UDP205 is a DAC only for itself. You could try using HDMI between the BDP-3 and the UDP205, but I'm not familiar enough with the UDP205 to know if or how well it'll work.

Chris
Old 12-17-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
=unincognito;945042]According to the UDP 205 manual all of its connections are outputs with the exception one HDMI port. It appears the UDP205 is a DAC only for itself. You could try using HDMI between the BDP-3 and the UDP205, but I'm not familiar enough with the UDP205 to know if or how well it'll work.

Chris
From the Oppo website:

USB DAC and Coaxial/Optical Inputs
An asynchronous USB DAC input supports sample rates up to 768 kHz PCM and DSD 512. For additional convenience and flexibility, the UDP-205 can convert digital signals from cable and satellite boxes, televisions, video game consoles and other digital transports with coaxial and optical digital outputs to analog. By bypassing the low fidelity, poor quality DAC of traditional computer soundcards, the UDP-205 turns any computer into a high performing multi-media source by utilizing the ES9038PRO DAC.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:40 PM

I noticed the BDP-3 has a lot of USB ports, split between 2 different busses, if I read correctly. Some may be inputs and some outputs but I'm not sure, though. Have you tried different usb outputs from the BDP-3 into the Oppo?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 12-17-2018, 03:46 PM

I would suggest shutting down the bdp3 completely and then connecting the usb port to Oppo and then booting up the bdp3. This way the linux OS on the bdp may recognize Oppo and be able to communicate with it. I had a similar issue when I tried to connect a DAC to my bdp via usb.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I noticed the BDP-3 has a lot of USB ports, split between 2 different busses, if I read correctly. Some may be inputs and some outputs but I'm not sure, though. Have you tried different usb outputs from the BDP-3 into the Oppo?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tie_breaker View Post
I would suggest shutting down the bdp3 completely and then connecting the usb port to Oppo and then booting up the bdp3. This way the linux OS on the bdp may recognize Oppo and be able to communicate with it. I had a similar issue when I tried to connect a DAC to my bdp via usb.
Thank you both. I've probably tried these things but it's been awhile. I'll try again.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unincognito View Post
According to the UDP 205 manual all of its connections are outputs with the exception one HDMI port. It appears the UDP205 is a DAC only for itself. You could try using HDMI between the BDP-3 and the UDP205, but I'm not familiar enough with the UDP205 to know if or how well it'll work.
That is not true. There is a USB input (Type B), optical and coax S/PDIF inputs, an Ethernet input (RJ45) and, of course, a WiFi input in addition to HDMI.