AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-25-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad.Wagner
Are the DAC's in the MCD1100 better than the DACs in the MX151 and MX121?
The MCD1100 uses the ESS Sabre DAC's and they are usually regarded as one of the better options. The MX121 is quite good and the digital section of the MX150/MX151 is a step up, not just the DAC's and Room Perfect but also the way the circuit is laid out. Rather than be dogmatic a out the chip itself, maybe we think about how crucial implementation is to the final result. For pure D/A off a CD or SACD then the MCD1100 is the way to go. For ultimate multi-channel take a look at the MX151 and for the true bargain in premium theater audition the MX121. We think all products have their home so it is more about aligning goals of the given customer with the right product.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu
Chris... I made this a Sticky, thank you!
Thanks to all and Ivan for making it happen! I am a pretty mellow guy and making Sticky Status made me smile. Now it is time to live up to the hype...
Old 07-25-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjazz

Chris, they do not turn off LFE for the 121 coming in through the balanced inputs in Direct or Pure Direct mode. This is why I think there's something wrong with 3CH analog inputs where the LFE does not kick in.
This deserves a further look and I will pass it along to our MX expert. I don't personally have the answer but I know just the man to ask. Stay Tuned!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMikeSmith View Post
Thanks to all and Ivan for making it happen! I am a pretty mellow guy and making Sticky Status made me smile. Now it is time to live up to the hype...
No problem, so you're in Boston

Maybe you should visit me, I'm only an hour down the road.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM

Hi Chris, the other components are McIntosh C27 pre amp, McIntosh MR78 tuner, McIntosh MCD500, Linn Sondek LP12. The 1.2kw's and the MCD500 were new from Audio Classics. The MR78 came from Audio Classics, too, and Mr. Modafferi worked on it. The C27 went to Audio Classics for work. They are all excellent. The Linn went to a Linn tech and it is very good.
With regards to the amps, I tried switching speaker cable and pre amp connections. Still the one amp needle bounces on power up. I took them back to Ryan at Audio Classics and we didn't solve the problem.
There is a dedicated 20 amp circuit for each amp. The other components are on seperate circuits.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal
Chris awesome...the questions are coming in thick & fast.

Can we have a new cover for the MT10 please? The material cover, whilst it is a nice suede is no friend of the tonearm & looks ugly on top of the beautiful MT10 "cyclops".

I am currently using an AVID HiFi flat cover which mounts on the platter. It works ok, but obviously shaped for an AVID turntable design.

I would like to see a platter mount cover that extends to the perimeters of the unit with downward folds to keep the dust out but not exceed the footprint.

I would be happy to purchase it as a accessory & I'm confident most MT10 owners would buy one.
I will need to look at this option and see what we can do. We always fight the dilemma of minimum order quantity versus potential market opportunity. We sell a nice quantity of MT10 but it doesn't necessarily translate to a one-off quantity for cool and unique accessories. Let me chat with the gang in engineering and see what we can do. No promises on this one but I hear and understand the request. Much appreciated feedback!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu

No problem, so you're in Boston

Maybe you should visit me, I'm only an hour down the road.
Ivan, can you shoot me your info and see if we can connect? I travel quite a bit for work and you are easily in my route. Worst case call the office and let them know you want to reach out and they can get me your info.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMikeSmith View Post
Ivan, can you shoot me your info and see if we can connect? I travel quite a bit for work and you are easily in my route. Worst case call the office and let them know you want to reach out and they can get me your info.

Cheers,
Chris
Done!
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal
I would love to see a reference MX processor that has been designed & built from the ground up which surpasses anything on the market today. Is there a new generation reference level product in development?

The following design line would be appealing:

Built along the reference level standards of the C1000, a two box unit without all of the redundant I/O or bloat. A new Multi-ch MEN solution would make it a 3 box solution for those that want to use RoomPerfect. Another possibility is taking it a step further for the extremophile by making it compatible with multiple C1000P/T like units with a separate analog stage(s). i.e. mix'n match component box options depending on budget & needs of the consumer.

Now if the box was split into Controller & Processor coupled with HDBaseT, it could potentially be future-proofed to allow for just a single Processor box upgrade/replacement catering for emergent hardware based DSP CODECS & Digital Video Processing & upscaling technologies. Similarly any new input types as they become standardised over time like more HDBaseT ports! We will see another evolutionary change with the introduction of 4K/8K technology in the years to come too...

All the D/A & pre-amp stages can be split off to form the Controller of which future Processor box models could remain backward compatible with. i.e. the Processor would contain all of the HDMI inputs, DSP & upscaling technology & the Controller would contain all of the D/A outputs & pre-amp stages or the pre-amp could be split off further. Coupled via HDBaseT Ethernet channels the boxes could even be separated at distance to cater for innovatively new HT room deployment options! This could mean shorter HDMI or XLR runs!

Anyway there is a thread on this topic for your R&Ds consideration. http://www.audioaficionado.org/mcint...wish-list.html

I would buy this & spend upwards of $20k or even $30k depending on the package. I guess for this price point, I would also want full analog pass thru so it can be used like a conventional analog pre-amp too.
It sounds like you need to move to Binghamton and join the team! Tons of great ideas. Too many to comment individually but trust that we hear you and will try to incorporate in to the product roadmap to the best of our ability. I will forward this post off to engineering but are you sure you have not already submitted patents? Being raised by two lawyers I can never be too cautious!
Old 07-25-2012, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528
Don't make a server with a ssd or HD. Just build one to playback files. No storage. Build an app to control it and you're done.
I am on board with this strategy. UI is key to this solution and something we would need to invest in. It is a constant discussion and part of a larger discussion beyond servers. We don't currently have those bodies but that doesn't necessarily mean we shouldn't or don't want to.

Cheers,
Chris