AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM

ShindoStevanSan,

Thanks for the well thought out comments about the 3 amps you referenced. If you don't mind and if it is not too much trouble, can you explain in layman's terms what you mean by stating
The VR is slightly dark and more about control than the alive, large character. Instruments are spot lighted against a velvet background and tonally it may be beyond reproach.
Would you mind also sharing and or commenting further about the development of the sense that the Giscours is more alive, airy, dynamic, colorful, big and involving?

I really appreciate your comments above and I am even more curious now about the Giscours. I may now need to ask my friend to bring his Masetto over so I can see if I pick up on the differences. May be I need to call Matt...
Old 08-22-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG
FWIW, Freestone, I'm pretty happy with my set-up. It's not on the level of ShindoStevenSan's, but certainly a decent arrangement.

My challenge is the cost delta to go from my VR to a Giscours is much less than jumping into the Shindo amps side. That's primarily because of my need for mono-blocks with my room and rack layout. So I somehow justify the strange logic that going to a Giscours would be easy and rewarding... LOL Plus that would be less than 1/2 the cost for me to enter into the price of a Shindo SET mono... One of these days I'll stop resisting the force and give in. It will likely be a CC34 amp, but my desire is the GM70...
I would call Matt and ask him what he recommends. Which is the biggest difference path. Or fly out to SF. We can have a bottle of Bordeaux afterwards.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM

Freestone... You're going to get me in trouble! BTW, I just finished off a nice Syrah by Kongsgaard tonight!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:34 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
I would call Matt and ask him what he recommends. Which is the biggest difference path. Or fly out to SF. We can have a bottle of Bordeaux afterwards.
Ok, in all seriousness, let me address each:

1. I have spoken with Matt. He seems to think the GM70 would be a spectacular addition. But also speaks highly of the CC34. My read and impression is that the "wow" factor will come with the GM70 and not the CC34. If I've misrepresented Matt's comments I hope he will chime in.
2. Flying to SF - I wish I could. Interestingly, I just learned this evening that there is an outside possibility that I will be there in October. If that happens, I will DEFINITELY visit Matt - provided that he's in town.
3. Bordeaux - you make my knees knock...

You know this is pretty crazy stuff - how blessed we all are!

Have a great night, Freestone!
Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinLG View Post
Ok, in all seriousness, let me address each:

1. I have spoken with Matt. He seems to think the GM70 would be a spectacular addition. But also speaks highly of the CC34. My read and impression is that the "wow" factor will come with the GM70 and not the CC34. If I've misrepresented Matt's comments I hope he will chime in.
2. Flying to SF - I wish I could. Interestingly, I just learned this evening that there is an outside possibility that I will be there in October. If that happens, I will DEFINITELY visit Matt - provided that he's in town.
3. Bordeaux - you make my knees knock...

You know this is pretty crazy stuff - how blessed we all are!

Have a great night, Freestone!
Jonathan,

I think the biggest improvement path would be to upgrade to the GM70's. We've been talking about fine differences between Shindo pre-amps, but installing the GM70's will rock your world, trust me. One of the great things about Matt is that he strives for accuracy in his description of Shindo products--but he errs on the side of modesty, which is refreshing and professional. The GM70's are simply the best amps my ears have heard in the 25 plus years of being an audiophile (admittedly my experience is almost all tube amps but I've had some great ones, Komura SETs and the Cortese, to name a couple).

You will not look back from this upgrade.

Steve
Old 08-23-2012, 07:44 PM

Maybe you just do both and get it over with! . Life's short.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:20 PM

I'm brand new to this forum, a very satified Shindo owner and I've been pondering the same question regarding th VR, which I own and love and also was my first Shindo component, and the Giscours. I realize it may be hard to descibe in hi fi terms because even I find that true to a lot of reviews, although only written by a relatively few, you just can't listen to, let's just say an all shindo amplified system and keep focus on hi fi atheltics. You just get sucked into the beauty of the music. But I do wish some one on this forum who owned both would try.
Old 08-30-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhardy
I'm brand new to this forum, a very satified Shindo owner and I've been pondering the same question regarding th VR, which I own and love and also was my first Shindo component, and the Giscours. I realize it may be hard to descibe in hi fi terms because even I find that true to a lot of reviews, although only written by a relatively few, you just can't listen to, let's just say an all shindo amplified system and keep focus on hi fi atheltics. You just get sucked into the beauty of the music. But I do wish some one on this forum who owned both would try.
Shindosteven has owned both and does compare. Read earlier on this thread and also search his earlier posts.
What's the rest of your system?
Old 08-30-2012, 08:39 PM

Thanks, I just saw it now I wish I hadn't. Oh well, I'm off to the lottery store.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestone View Post
Shindosteven has owned both and does compare. Read earlier on this thread and also search his earlier posts.
What's the rest of your system?
Sorry for the delay in response. Still learning the functionality to get around to where I want to go.

System

Analog: Nottingham Hyperspace, Basis Vector 1 arm, Transfiquration
Supreme cartridge Auditorium 23 Hommage T1 SUT
Digital: EMM labs CDSA SE CD player (no upgrade)
Amp: Shindo Haut Brion (current version)
Pre: Shindo Vosne Romanee
Speakers: Rethm Maargas
Cables: all Shindo Silver (Interconnect and speaker)
Accesso: Mr. T power conditioner