AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magnepan

Magnepan Full-range ribbon and planar speakers

Old 12-19-2015, 05:01 PM

Hifisand,

Good to see your post. It will be interesting to hear your comments on the new sound room at your home. I was going to take the my Mye stands off for a little while for re-positioning my 3.7i's. They sound ready good but I think they have more to give. I haven't picked up any Still points yet. I'm just not certain I would hear that big of a change. I think I will go with longer speaker cables first so I can move my audio cabinet out from behind my speakers. Don't forget to put up some pictures of your new room once it is all set up.

~Mike

Last edited by mgard; 12-21-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Last week I ordered a set of "stealth" Mye stands for my 20.7s. I chose the semi-gloss black finish and for the anchors I went with both rounded points and sharp. My thinking was that my wife likes moving the speakers off to the side when watching movies, so the rounded points will allow the speaker to slide after tilting it and the sharp points will anchor it once it is set on the carpet.

Has anyone else tried this tweak with their Maggies? If so, what did you think?
I have a normal pair for my 20.1's, and they work very well, although they have been buried deep in my storage for a long time

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:37 AM

I have made many changes to my Magnepan 3.6s (active and passive crossovers, rewiring, interior sock removal, & better speaker binding posts), and I can say that of all of them, these are the first you should make and the most cost effective. There is a significant benefit in sound improvement from the better bracing that is supplied. These are an extremely well made product that has no equal on the market - couldn't possibly be made any better. Grant's a great guy to deal with too!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:49 PM

Berry,

You may have commented elsewhere but what are your thoughts on replacing the spikes on the Mye stands with Stillponits? Don't you hang your 3.6's from the ceiling?

Thanks,

~Mike
Old 01-10-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgard View Post
what are your thoughts on replacing the spikes on the Mye stands with Stillponits? Don't you hang your 3.6's from the ceiling? Thanks, ~Mike
My speakers are on a concrete subfloor.- no need for Stillpoints I don't know why anyone would hang their speakers from the ceiling.....
Old 01-10-2016, 03:35 PM

Hey Barry,

I thought you might be Berry Diament of Soundkeeperrecordings. I tried to find who had tried this and it appears it wasn't Barry (who has done extensive testing with vibration control). The whole reason this person was mentioning this was to eliminate vibration. These are Berry's comments below.

The minuses: Suspending the speakers means they'll "swing" which will harm definition at all frequencies. One alternative would be to have them firmly attached to the ceiling so they can't swing but such mounting would bring any structural vibrations right to the speaker/crossover. It also prevents the use of a vibration isolation bass.