AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Inspire by Dennis Had

Inspire by Dennis Had Enjoying Vacuum Tube Audio

Old 03-23-2018, 08:50 AM
Retired

Has Dennis offered any preamps with remote volume control?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-24-2018, 06:31 AM

Not as far as I know.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
well, if "any" is what you really mean, the answer is possibly - depending on what is within your range of considerations.

My SLP-98 Cary preamp was originally designed by Dennis, and it has a remote control. It was offered by Dennis back in 2004 when he as at Cary. Still in production today. I really like mine, more $ though, and to upgrade it with great caps get's to be costly. Maybe find a used one. Mine has a remote. Works great. With some tube rolling of NOS tubes and the right caps, it can sound really good. I use mine with my Cary V12R and the little Inspire KT150 Hot Rod amp now. It's a good match too.

"Sweet Little Preamplifier" (SLP), article:
https://www.stereophile.com/tubeprea...ary/index.html
Old 03-24-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well, the answer to that is possibly. Straitwire's personal preamp is a modified LP-3 that has not only a volume remote control, but also a LED embedded in the volume knob. I don't know if he and Dennis have worked all the kinks out, and if Dennis can be convinced to offer it as an option, but perhaps Straitwire will comment and show off his own personal rig.

Dennis has also been working on a new pre amp that features three of the VR tubes instead of the customary Zener diodes for voltage regulation. Dennis was very pleased and surprised to find that the VR tubes drop the noise floor considerably. However, this is a new prototype, so I don't know when it will hit the market. I didn't get any pix of it either, and we didn't listen to it when I went over to the shop Friday. Perhaps Straitwire can get a pic or two.

I did get some pix of a new amp Dennis built which was a modification of an older design with upgraded iron, but is radically different than the recent designs. I am not at liberty to talk too much about the design, but in my understanding it will run everything from 6V6s to KT150s. He calls it the "Universal Fire Bottle" It was designed around 6L6s though, and per the second picture, it really shines with a set of 6L6 GAY tubes in it. I have listened to a LOT of Dennis' amps since I first found him burning holes in his dining room table with his soldering iron during his non compete year, and I have to say, this one really ends the Pentode vs Triode argument.

The Universal Fire Bottle with new issue Rooski Tung Sol 6550s

Untitled by Analog Addict, on Flickr

6L6 GAYs...

This amp has tremendous clarity and control as compared to a PSE in triode

but with the 6550s, I still preferred the intimacy of the triode amp. However, when the old school (40s or 50s vintage) 6L6s were plopped in, the amp became sublime, creamy sounding was the term we came up with. It still had great clarity and control, but the vocals now sounded like they were coming out of a triode amp. This amp is still fresh out of the box, so once it burns in, my guess is it will sound even better. Dennis texted me this morning and said he stayed up till 2AM last night listening to it.

This one's different. Stay tuned.....

Last edited by Analog Addict; 03-24-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
My SLP-98 Cary preamp was originally designed by Dennis, and it has a remote control.
Yes. Definitely on my radar. Just add a SUT and ready to rock & roll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Addict View Post
I have to say, this one really ends the Pentode vs Triode argument.
In which configuration's favor?
Nice looking amps. Are they both stereo?
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-25-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Yes. Definitely on my radar. Just add a SUT and ready to rock & roll.

Yeah. Maybe you could find a SLP-98"P" unit with the factory installed Lundahl MC transformer option used by Cary. I've only read they are supposed to be pretty good. Did a quick check and TMRaudio has two w/phono. A Red/Silver and a Red/black unit for sale right now. The Black 98P unit has the Cardas caps and Hexfreds already installed too.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:04 PM

On an unrelated quick note, in case anyone is interested: After 5 years of preferring FB2K for my source, I'm definitely switching to the JPlay algorithm. In both modes (single PC virtual network with Linn Kazoo and MinimServer, as well as in JPlay-Mini), this thing beats a former favorite which stood the test of time until now, hands down! YMMV.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:25 PM

Hey everybody, Dennis and I have tried different remotes but for various reasons have not had the time to find a decent one that has as good or better a volume pot than we use now, and that also works in the LP- style layout and doesn't cost a fortune. The last one we tried fit but had a problem with the remote control assembly and only worked in a stepped fashion (one push gives you one increment)... weird.

My remote uses RF instead of IR, is hand made and has only UP and DOWN function in a remote the size of a key fob, that you have to disassemble to replace the battery.
But the LP- style chassis works perfectly with the offset motor on a motorized Alps Blue Velvet volume pot. So mounting the parts in the chassis including power supply is easy, but the remote fob is slow and tedious to build with button covers and an overlay, but it looks good and functions well once I have finished the long fitting process.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Here is a picture of the Special Regulator preamp using three VR75's
[IMG][/IMG]

The new Universal FireBottle is wired in Pentode and sounds amazing, but I can't really say more.
Old 03-25-2018, 11:43 PM

I have been thinking about purchasing the KT-150 Triode Single Ended Amplifier but now that I see the new Universal Fire Bottle I don't know which way to go. Decisions, decisions!
Old 03-26-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimi55 View Post
I have been thinking about purchasing the KT-150 Triode Single Ended Amplifier but now that I see the new Universal Fire Bottle I don't know which way to go. Decisions, decisions!
The Inspire KT150 Hot Rod can run various tubes too and has some nice upgrades in it. You can send DH a question on eBay and he will respond on his current auctions.