Old 10-07-2011, 01:59 PM

Default SP-3 Feedback

Memo: Bryston Dealer Feedback
Subject: NEW SP-3 Preamp/Processor

Sent: October-07-11 1:11 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: SP3

Hi James,

I just wanted to give you some feedback on my new SP3 that arrived.
First off, let me thank you for the unit. I know that there are many on back order and to be included in the first shipment is an honor. Now for my impression: In the worlds of John Belushi in Animal House, "Holy Shit" … This thing is amazing!

When I recall the SP 1 SP 1.7 and the SP2, I remember subtle but noticeable improvements from generation to generation. But now comes this new 3U behemoth. Truly a work of art, well worth the 3 year wait while it was perfected. This unit is not just a slightly improved SP2- it is a new force to be reckoned with.

First, the sound is INCREDIBLE. Just when I thought my PMC MB2 XBD Active (Bryston 4B x 1 and 7B x 2 per channel) LCR and active PMC inwall Wafer 2 with Bryston 10B LR with PMC SB100x2 in rear could reveal no more, you Canadians have exceeded my expectations. But I have come to expect that from you. The new SP3 is so dynamic, so lifelike, I am in disbelief. Are my ears deceiving me? No. The SP3 has taken it to a new level. One that I never dreamed existed. Powerful and dynamic. Delicate, revealing every nuance in the soundtrack. Wow!

Second, the build is , well lets say its Bryston. Beautiful. Elegant. The fit and finish is right on, but not overdone. "inconspicuous consumption" comes to mind.

Third, functionality is great. All the control you need and then some. I particularly appreciate the auto save feature in the set up so I don't forget to save the setting I just adjusted. And discrete set up setting for each input are a nice feature for those multipurpose rooms. RS 232 serial and TCP IP are sure to make integration a snap.

In summary, I must admit I was wondering what was taking you guys so long to get this unit out. I was fatigued at seeing it for the last couple of years at shows wondering if it was being shelved for new audio formats and D/A converters. But now that I have the SP3 in my system, I understand what took so long. Products like this don't just build themselves. It takes smart people who have a passion for what they do and years of hard work to culminate in a product such as this.

If I ever forget why I used Bryston in all of my Hi End theater installs, I have yet another reminder. The SP3.

Thanks to all of those who made this unit possible.

David SIlvestri
Designed Audio Video Environments

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 10-07-2011 at 02:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM

From another dealer and customer.

Sent: October-18-11 11:22 AM
To: 'James Tanner'
Subject: RE: SP3

What a piece of shit……….just kidding! …bet you cursed at me before you got to the 5th word??? LOL

Amazing sounding it was, very open and quieter than the SP2. Am I right? …has the noise floor been lowered?

I brought my BluRay player over to my customers home and we compared it to a computer based set up as well as a $250 player, and the picture and sound were better through the Sony BDP5000 by far in both cases but less so with the computer feed.
I can’t tell you why but we both saw & heard it instantly.

We didn’t watch a movie per say, but when I used the analogue output from my BluRay into the 5.1 bypass, sounds like gun shots and explosions were noticeably more dynamic.

Anyhow, I’m really impressed with the clarity of the sound. Are you sure there’s no change in the analogue stage?

I want one! …when I can afford it?

Gary

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 10-18-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Sent: October-30-11 1:44 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: SP3

Hi James,

I am enjoying the SP3 very much. It is a huge improvement over my old setup: Oppo 93 feed to SP1.7 by 5.1 analog inputs or by digital coax inputs.

The most significant improvements that I have noticed are:

1) No relay clicking when switching between different digital signals; it was a major distraction on the older SP1.7.

2) Automatic decoding of 5.1 MC SACD is superior to the Oppo 93 decoding through SP1.7 analog inputs.

3) The ability to set the subwoofer crossovers for the front, center, and rear channels separately is an improvement as well.

The sound is extremely detailed and refined. In my opinion you hit a home run with this one. Looking forward to many years of use.

Best,
John

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-23-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 03:46:17 -0400
To:James
Subject:Sp-3

Received it today. Tested it with a trafo - First where it counts: Audio quality is fantastic (as can be expected from Bryston).

It was fun to disconnect 10’s of RCA cables and replace them with 3-4 HDMI cables. No analog to pick up hum, no RCA plugs that corrode and require caig gold treatment.

A surprise I was not aware that the processor had a web server. Really cool mockup of the device with working buttons – I was able to control it from my laptop.

The manual is unclear about what are the online capabilities and how to use them: (e.g. how to set up a music server, what is the USB port for, and how to use it USB, etc.).

Overall a very solid machine, well built, functions well, and more importantly, sounds absolutely fantastic, perhaps even better than its predecessor the SP1.7.

Also – a special thank you for taking care of our special circumstances and delivering this to us prior to the movers arriving.

Assaf
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Gee I’m glad the new SP3 just passes on the video:

The Next Video Format War Coming To a Home Theater Near You: 4K vs FauxK

james
Old 11-08-2011, 01:34 PM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: New SP3 Processor
DATE: July 2011

Hi James

Well I finally received my SP3 after a much long wait. I am using the new Cambridge 751 BD Blu-Ray player with my Bryston amplifier and Focal speakers.

I am very impressed at the speed at which the SP3 locked with digital signals being sent to it and also no relay clicking during this process. I found the unit very intuitive in its setup menu and very easy to navigate through. I had the unit setup and ready to go in probably 20 minutes.

The ability to set the subwoofer crossover for each of the channels was very impressive and the big one for me was the fact that you can turn the aux outputs into addition center or subwoofer channels is a great idea.

I found the new DSP engine used in this processor along with the DACs that gave me a result of probably the best sounding unit that I have had the pleasure of using to date. I was absolutely amazed at the clarity of sound and lack of back ground noise that the SP3 delivered, which resulted in the most involving surround experience I have enjoyed in my theater.

Thank goodness that you guys at Bryston had the passion and desire to build this incredible unit.

Garry Taylor

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 11-08-2011 at 02:39 PM.