AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Burmester Audio

Burmester Audio Art for the Ear

Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM

I'm interested in the 082 for my system. My speakers are the Elac FS 249 Black Edition. Just curious, anyone compare Burmester to Simaudio? I actually like the older Sims better, they are warmer more organic sounding. The new ones are a little on the drier, detailed, transparent side. One version of the older Sim they are making deals on is the W5.3 SE. They were about 8500.00 but now selling for around 5,000.00. I was thinking about this amp or the Burmester 082 integrated. Any feedback or insights would be appreciated.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:21 AM

Hello Capitalcityguy
I do not know the Simaudio amplification.
I could tell you directly pick Burmester 082 that you're in sure hand, but I would be unjust to you.
We all have an of listening your own taste, my advice if you can try the 082 on your system so that you understand its potential.
I've always listened to the speakers with Burmester 082 961mkIII, a very refined speaker is at the bottom than at the top than the brothers B25 and B30
I think the 082 face sound in an excel your speakers, but then again if you have the chance to try it in your system you would understand how it would sound
Old 01-20-2013, 02:45 PM

Thanks Giovanni. I informed my dealer I am going with the 082. Going to kill the pocketbook for now, but I hope it is the real deal.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcityguy View Post
I'm interested in the 082 for my system. My speakers are the Elac FS 249 Black Edition. Just curious, anyone compare Burmester to Simaudio? I actually like the older Sims better, they are warmer more organic sounding. The new ones are a little on the drier, detailed, transparent side. One version of the older Sim they are making deals on is the W5.3 SE. They were about 8500.00 but now selling for around 5,000.00. I was thinking about this amp or the Burmester 082 integrated. Any feedback or insights would be appreciated.
I think you made the right choice. I cannot imagine any Sim, even the older ones, sounding as good with Elacs.

The 082 is sweet sounding, with a slight roundness in the bass rather than dry (or perhaps overdamped). The treble is excellent. Compared to other integrated amps I own or have used in some of my systems:
  • Pass INT30A - the Pass seemed as powerful despite its nominal 30w rating. The bass in the Pass was good, perhaps better than the 082. Midrange was good, but the treble was grainy compared to the 082, which had better continuity than the Pass.
  • Accuphase E211 - sweet like the 082, with a heavier, weightier sound. But lacked transparency compared to the 082.
  • Arcam A38 - unlistenable in comparison to any of the above.
Of course, the 082 is not the greatest amplifier ever made. In comparison to the 088/911Mk3, it has a smaller soundstage, lacks authority in the bass, and lacks the see-through transparency of the big Burmester pre/power combination. Which costs 4 times as much.

But the 088/911 combination can be too much, too aggressive, with many speakers. The 956 lacks the heightened extension of the 911, and is better suited to speakers which are a little more aggressive on the top end. The 082 is voiced liked the 956. Whilst I have not heard your particular model of Elacs, those I have heard are voiced to sound fast and transparent, not warm and forgiving. The JET tweeters, assuming it uses those, will really like the treble from the Burmester

If there is an issue to watch out for on the 082, it is whether it can provide enough power. As I mentioned in the earlier post, very current hungry speakers will be better off with an 032, because basically what the 032 offers over the 082 is more current.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalcityguy View Post
Thanks Giovanni. I informed my dealer I am going with the 082. Going to kill the pocketbook for now, but I hope it is the real deal.
Congratulations!

Please let us know when you get it.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Not sure when I will be getting it. Maybe a month. I guess they build to order.

As for my speakers, the Elac's are generally are considered fast and transparent, I think the newer Black Edition I have is fuller, and warmer then the previous models. On top of that, it does seem to show what it is in front of it. If your electronics and cables are lush and warm, that is what will pass through. I enjoy the looks and sound of my pair. My dealer says the 082 has enough power/ current for the Elac FS 249 BE. Now the wait.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glisse View Post
I think you made the right choice. I cannot imagine any Sim, even the older ones, sounding as good with Elacs.

The 082 is sweet sounding, with a slight roundness in the bass rather than dry (or perhaps overdamped). The treble is excellent. Compared to other integrated amps I own or have used in some of my systems:
  • Pass INT30A - the Pass seemed as powerful despite its nominal 30w rating. The bass in the Pass was good, perhaps better than the 082. Midrange was good, but the treble was grainy compared to the 082, which had better continuity than the Pass.
  • Accuphase E211 - sweet like the 082, with a heavier, weightier sound. But lacked transparency compared to the 082.
  • Arcam A38 - unlistenable in comparison to any of the above.
Of course, the 082 is not the greatest amplifier ever made. In comparison to the 088/911Mk3, it has a smaller soundstage, lacks authority in the bass, and lacks the see-through transparency of the big Burmester pre/power combination. Which costs 4 times as much.

But the 088/911 combination can be too much, too aggressive, with many speakers. The 956 lacks the heightened extension of the 911, and is better suited to speakers which are a little more aggressive on the top end. The 082 is voiced liked the 956. Whilst I have not heard your particular model of Elacs, those I have heard are voiced to sound fast and transparent, not warm and forgiving. The JET tweeters, assuming it uses those, will really like the treble from the Burmester

If there is an issue to watch out for on the 082, it is whether it can provide enough power. As I mentioned in the earlier post, very current hungry speakers will be better off with an 032, because basically what the 032 offers over the 082 is more current.
Excellent summary of the Burmester Classic and Top Line amps!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-23-2013, 05:33 AM

Hello Capitalcityguy
compliments for the purchase, I thinkand are certain that your 082 to will give a lot of satisfaction and will make sound your speakers in the best possible way.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giovanni View Post
hello dca
I can guarantee that you are good hands with Burmester.
Do not worry about of the room, with speakers who you will use?
Giovanni
How do like the B25's do you think Burmester gear sounds better in a all Burmester system?
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimberg View Post
Giovanni
How do like the B25's do you think Burmester gear sounds better in a all Burmester system?
I've always listened to the B25 with Burmester amplification.
I do not know with other amps would sound like.
Of course, I've always found the sound of the B25 more refined than the sisters