AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 12-08-2015, 09:06 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKen View Post
Is there a way to PM you? I think it's "take it offline" time...thanks
PM privileges are one of the many benefits in becoming a Subscriber.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 12-08-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maril555 View Post
Jonathan, I can feel your frustration. I feel exactly the same way, when my patients "improvise" and deviate from my advice. In my own defense, I have a system, that has been 'sorted out" to a significant degree, especially speakers- amplifiers part of it. So, introducing VR into the system, I fully realize a risk of potential mismatch, and am far from blaming Shindo for less, than optimal outcome. Nevertheless, I feel there is a sizable population of audiophiles out there, who use Shindo preamp outside of the full Shindo system concept. If I may speak on behalf of that group, I'd personally would greatly appreciate your input, with the understanding, that almost any solution, than a full Shindo system, might be suboptimal. And since we are on the topic, I'd love to hear your opinion on what SUT would be a good match for Koetsu Urushi, to be used with VR. PS. I do use Shindo ICs, if that can earn me some liniency
This is like when your patients say "I understand what you are saying but what if .....".

I had a shindo pre and a Mac amp. It sounded good. Now I have an all shindo/a23 system and it sounds great. Take that for what it's worth. When my clients don't take my advice I fire them. I understand where JH is coming from now that I have a system that was built to work as a system.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755a View Post
This is like when your patients say "I understand what you are saying but what if .....". I had a shindo pre and a Mac amp. It sounded good. Now I have an all shindo/a23 system and it sounds great. Take that for what it's worth. When my clients don't take my advice I fire them. I understand where JH is coming from now that I have a system that was built to work as a system.
Actually it does not sound great. It sounds amazing. My all shindo and a23 system has taken me to hifi places that I never though I could achieve. Satisfied is an understatement. I think over the years I have spoken to every dealer and to JH many times. They have all been fantastic and without fault. I explained what I wanted to achieve and they helped me do it. I did not try to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 755a View Post
This is like when your patients say "I understand what you are saying but what if .....".

I had a shindo pre and a Mac amp. It sounded good. Now I have an all shindo/a23 system and it sounds great. Take that for what it's worth. When my clients don't take my advice I fire them. I understand where JH is coming from now that I have a system that was built to work as a system.
I'm not going to argue with that.
But at this point of time, I simply have no fortitude to build a whole new system from scratch
Too much time and effort invested in the current one.
Now, had I have a chance to hear the whole Shindo system, might have changed my mind
Old 12-08-2015, 10:34 PM

BTW, cam anyone tell me how much gain internal VR SUT provides?
In other words, what is the gain of the VR MM section vs. MC?
I couldn't find this info on Shindo website
Old 12-08-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maril555 View Post
I'm not going to argue with that. But at this point of time, I simply have no fortitude to build a whole new system from scratch Too much time and effort invested in the current one. Now, had I have a chance to hear the whole Shindo system, might have changed my mind
I get it. I never had that luxury either. I had built a system I enjoyed but based on what I had read on line and in print I knew the system was not speaking to me the way I wanted it to. I bought my shindo and a23 system bit by bit. All without ever having the chance to demo in person. All based on reading and communicating with the dealers and the distributor. I took their advice with each step. I have never been disappointed .

Now some items required break in to sound how they should. My Auditorium A23 755a homage are a good example. I bought them with out hearing them and they were not cheap. They sounded good when I got them. Now after 600 hours (exactly what the manufacturer, distributor and dealer said) they sound sublime. I could not be happier.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:01 PM

I know I had less than positive things to say about Tone Imports in an earlier thread. Since then I have received very quick follow up of concern and care from Jonathan Halpern. I would therefore like to rescind my negative comment and enforce the very recent positive interaction where it is obvious they care very much about both their current and future customers. As such, I will keep Shindo systems on my future wish list of dream audio gear.

Ken
Old 12-09-2015, 01:23 PM

My experience with the Shindo family has always been great. I have heard speaker A (90DB/4ohm), with amplifier B, in a system where a Shindo amp would not be appropriate. The pre was a Shindo, using Shindo interconnect. I'm not going to claim this system was my holy grail, but it was VERY good. I have no doubt, better than if the preamp was one of the other usual suspects. I ended up staying the course, and went with a Shindo preamp/amp/A23 cabling, and appropriate speakers. At this time, a nice pair of Valencia 846A's, and DeVore 96's. I'm certainly not looking back, only forward. I want to ad another TT setup next year, and am undecided as to which one. My Amadeus GTA, another great purchase via team Shindo, will stay. I can't see going Denon 103, although I'm sure it punches well above it's weight. Plus, I doubt it's the equal of my Tsd-15 SFL, and it apparently likes high mass arms. I am open to going with an appropriate SPU, but of course it makes the choice of tables a bit tougher. The consensus again, High mass 12" arm…. Price range is around 10K for table and arm. Here again, my price range will preclude consideration of Shindo 301, or the new SPEC table. It should be a fun and interesting year. Now back to our OP, and regularly scheduled programming. Cheers -Don
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM

Nobody answered my question yet- what are the gain values for Vosne Romanee MM and MC stages?
This information cannot be a secret, can it?
Old 12-09-2015, 02:34 PM

The gain values and loading are specific to the intended cartridge, and in the V-R MC design that is going to be for the Shindo Cartridge. You can estimate the step-up ratio by dividing the input sensitivity of the MM divided by the that of the MC as listed in the specs I posted for you earlier from the Shindo website.