AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 06-04-2014, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John49 View Post
You had to bring sex into it? Sorry!
Now that you mention it my first time was very good regardless of Sonics and SQ. I have been on a life long quest ever since.

Last edited by 427; 06-04-2014 at 04:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM

I've had a Denon DP-300f for a while and I've been happy with it. It has an okay built in phono stage but the needle it comes with is awful. Some places offer it upgraded with a Ortofon 2M Red for well under your budget.

I also recommend looking into the Technics SL-1200. They can be purchased used for under $500 and are built like tanks. In fact, I am planning to buy one myself in the near future. Plus, they are very easy to resell if you ever decide to get something different.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
You misunderstand. The idea was not to warn him off experimenting with vinyl. As you can see most of us who told him that at $600, the comparison to his digital rig (which he no longer owns) will fall short, own an analog system. So we were simply trying to manage his expectations. If the idea is that he recognizes that a $600 rig's SQ will be limited relative to what he is used to in the digital domain and that does not turn him off from vinyl and he just wants to learn and experiment than great.

But most people read these forums and read about how great vinyl is (which it is) and expect that a sub-$1,000 analog set-up will beat a $5K or $10K digital and then they try it and find out that that's not really true and they get discouraged and swear off their brush with analog playback.

We were merely trying to prevent that scenario from playing out. But given that the OP has inherited a whole bunch of vinyl (or is set to do so) and is going into this as a learning experience with appropriate expectations, then all the power to him and go for it and enjoy!
I agree with your post but with one grain of salt regarding the turn-off.

I bought a cheap used pro-ject TT to get my feet wet and see what the fuss is all about without spending much. However, shortly after starting to listen to vinyl, I realized that there was something there but that I needed a better TT to explore and get the best out of it.

So barely 6 months after buying my first TT, I sold it to get a "real" TT. I haven't looked back since and I've been spending more on the analog end than any other part (except speakers).

It is good to set realistic experience but it's also a good way to find if this is for you and if you'll enjoy it.

Any TT is still better than none !
Old 06-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa_chan View Post
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. My family has a lot of records they don't use and would hand down to me. That's why I was just thinking of something basic to play them on. Actually, my preamplifier doesn't have a phono stage, so that will be a very high cost for the Accuphase plug-in module. Other brands will still be an additional cost. The Technics units looks pretty nice. I'll give this some more thought.... seems I might be getting into more than I'm thinking. BTW: I actually sold the K-03 and ordered another CD player, but that is a different issue for later. Thanks!
I was thinking the same thing when I got back into vinyl about 3 years ago. My CD player was the same one in my signature, and I asked on another forum how much would I have to spend on a vinyl rig to approximate what I was already getting on the digital side. The responses I got were very similar to the majority of responses you've gotten here so far. I was not discouraged, as I already had planned to start with a Technics TT and use my HT processor's phono section. Let's just say it quickly escalated from there. and Just don't expect from a starter setup anything close to what you were getting from the K-03, and you might enjoy the experience on its own merits.

As far as low-cost Technic options are concerned, I bought a Technics SL-1100A off of Craigslist. The guy even had the original manual from the 70s! They come much cheaper than the 1200s do, and were built like tanks. I still have mine to test run particularly beat up used LPs on, and for nostalgic purposes.

Last edited by asindc; 06-04-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:19 PM

When I started, about 7 years ago now, I went right for a very good deck: a well maintained SOTA Star III with Fidelity Research FR64fx arm and Benz Glider L2. A 2800 outlay in full. At the time I though it was an epic splurge for a first 'table, but in retrospect, I'm very glad I didn't start out lower. And in fact, I'd have been even happier had I spent a few more bucks on the cart. My digital sources at this time were Sony SCD-1 and Meridian G08. Respectable SACD and CD performance (respectively), and I liked those decks (except the SCD-1 was poor on redbook CD), but nowhere near state-of-the-art by today's standards (see Esoteric). The vinyl setup clobbered those sources, as it pertains to enjoying music, at a similar cash outlay to a used G08 at the time.

That's why I saw the K03 in the op's sig and immediately thought "don't dabble; do it right"! But I can understand the tendency to dabble at first with a potentially expensive and difficult undertaking as vinyl, especially if not planning to acquire lots of vinyl.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa_chan View Post
Hello All:

I'm looking to purchase a turntable and wanted some advice. I didn't want to spend too much, maybe 500-600$. I was looking at some older Luxman units on eBay. Denon seems to have a few nice older ones as well. I'm ok new or second hand, I just want something to try it out.

Anyone have any suggestions or things to consider? I know nothing about turntables.
Brian.......Perhaps the VPI Nomad turntable would get you started. It comes with the Ortofon 2M red moving magnet phono cartridge pre-mounted and also includes a built in headphone amplifier for $995.00.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-04-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es347 View Post
A bit over your price point but you certainly would enjoy this little gem: http://vinylnirvana.com/vintage-turn...grace-707-arm/
Brian, if you pursue the used route I would strongly second the recommendation to consult Dave at vinylnirvana.com. You may have to stretch your budget a bit, but he rebuilds or refurbishes his classic turntables and you will be sure you'll be getting a good clean setup, with an arm that matches, verified bearings, etc. if you don't know anything about old turntables you're better either buying new or buying from someone like Dave who can take the risk out of buying a good used table at a reasonable price.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 06-04-2014, 08:10 PM

I wonder if Brian lives near anyone?

If Brian is young the likelihood of ever handling a TT and disc is nil. That is why I would just recommend something inexpensive but works right. A clean used deck for $250, $50-$100 cart, $100 stage. This way a broken stylus cost $15. playing dirty records would not matter much for the stylus.
As handling a knowledge improves and or a desire for vinyl he can see how steps taking improve SQ.

If he lives near me I have a very clean Tech SP-2000 he could borrow and play with.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:49 PM

Gents:

Thanks for all the suggestions and great discussion. It is clear I know nothing about TTs and a lot of people here do! It nice to have so much experience here on the forum to reach out to.

The last time I ever saw a record played was 25 years ago during Christmas. My mom would always play A Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi Trio) which I still love and have the CD) on some very old TT. My father used to play a lot of ELO LPs as well.

Actually, years ago I walked into an audio store and they had a full reference Linn system playing. I commented on the music and inquired what CD was playing... funny, it was an LP12. I couldn't tell as it sounded wonderful.

I don't have a problem spending some $ on a nice TT however, it could be I decide I hate it and would sit collecting dust. The good thing is I have a few months to learn as much as possible here before I decide. My system is sitting in boxes/crates waiting for the work on my home to be finished. On a good note, it's on schedule and I was able to get an audio room in the design

But your right, it will be interesting to compare it to my digital system. The K-03 was superb, and I'm sure its replacement, an Accuphase, will also be.

Brian

Last edited by wawa_chan; 06-04-2014 at 10:53 PM. Reason: General clean up.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Brian, if you pursue the used route I would strongly second the recommendation to consult Dave at vinylnirvana.com. You may have to stretch your budget a bit, but he rebuilds or refurbishes his classic turntables and you will be sure you'll be getting a good clean setup, with an arm that matches, verified bearings, etc. if you don't know anything about old turntables you're better either buying new or buying from someone like Dave who can take the risk out of buying a good used table at a reasonable price.
I like how that TT looks. Vintage, but clean and modern. I can definitely give Dave a call. Thanks.