AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:50 AM

Stephen (aka PC), you are doing such a splendid job of auditioning the Ethernet cables, that we should leave the technical details of why and how to the tech guys. It is beyond the scope of this discussion to try to explain how when I click on a certain song, it travels across the buried trans Atlantic cable(may also be on a North American Server) along with billions of other packets. But the packets of my song only ends up in my streaming device!

We all are looking forward to your next report.

Aurender A30 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Franco Serblin Accordo Essence + Pair of REL Carbon Special

Aurender A10 -> Mac C1100 -> 2 x Mac MC611 > Joseph Audio PERSPECTIVE2 Graphene

VPI 40th. Anniversary Direct Drive -> Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono

Aurender A10 -> Ref 6 -> GS150 > PMC Fact 12

McIntosh MCD500 -> C1100 - >MC452 > PMC Fact 12

Aurender A10 -> -> E470 > PMC Fact 12

Speakers: Monitor Audio PL200 , , Monitor Audio GX200
PMC Fact 12

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> Accuphase DC-37 -> Accuphase E-470 -> Monitor Audio GX200

Tidal -> Aurender S10 -> MD108T Signature DAC -> Mcintosh C1100 ->McIntosh MC452 -> JBL 4344
Old 08-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Cool, calm scientist

I thought I'd update my thread on the Ethernet cables I was evaluating recently with my impressions and experiences with the Shunyata Alpha Ethernet cable. The Alpha Ethernet cable is built upon, and expands, the foundation of functionality provided by the Venom cable to achieve even higher levels of performance. A new feature and function is that it has a "CN filter" (common noise) that removes the impact of common mode noise from Ethernet cable signal transmission. This is the cylindrical device that is in the middle of the Alpha cable.

Shuyata Research Alpha Ethernet cable (photograph copyright 2019 Shunyata Research)

Common mode noise typically occurs from devices like cell phones, iPads, video doorbells, high-bandwidth CPUs and GPUs, etc, etc. In other words, all the stuff we have so much of in our homes these days, and has notable effects on digital signal tranmission. It causes, among other things, ground loops on both legs (positive and negative) of a circuit (which is why it is referred to as "common" noise), and thus, is insidious in the impact it has on signal transmission, particularly digital signal transmission.

From Wikipedia:
"Common mode noise is noise in which a noise current that has leaked via a stray capacitance or the like passes through ground and returns to the power supply line. It is called "common mode" noise because the direction of the noise currents on the positive (+) and the negative (-) sides of the power supply have the same direction. A noise voltage does not appear across the power supply lines.

As explained above, these types of noise are conducted emissions. However, noise currents are flowing in power supply lines, and so noise is radiated."

Here is a diagram distinguishing common mode from differential mode noise:

The CN filter on the Shunyata Alpha Ethernet cable very effectively attenuates and suppresses common mode noise and provides thus a very low noise floor and more extended, open and natural presentation.

I'll put the observations of Alpha into context by recounting the impressions from a friend who came over to hear and evaluate the Shunyata Ethernet cables.

We started off with my base configuration (Supra Cat 8 and AQ Cinnamon) and listened for 20 minutes or so. Putting in the Venom between the FMC and the SOtM, he immediately remarked on much quieter, more open and spacious the presentation was. And the soundstage became deeper front-to-back. My friend's observations were fully consistent with what I've reported for Venom earlier in this thread.

We then put in the Alpha and he remarked that the presentation became even more accurate, yet more natural-sounding, more open and spacious and yet the imaging was more focused. For example, the chorus of 3 background singers that previously sounded like “one/throat/one voice” was now comprised of three separate voices singing in a group in the soundstage. The lower noise floor and superior articulation of the Alpha Ethernet cable results in an even more open, spacious, airy presentation that builds further upon the "naturalness" and analog qualities from the Venom Ethernet cable. More good stuff.

Last, I put the Venom upstream of the first fiber media convertor, with the Alpha Ethernet connecting the downstream Sonore microRendu to the new SOtM UltraNeo streamer. My friend exclaimed, “Wow! Someone took the kink out of the hose! Before it sounded like a song being played on the stereo. Now it sounds like the singer is with me in the room.”

This last point is important: what I've consistently observed with the Shunayta Ethernet cables: the benefits and impact they bring is additive (or perhaps more accurately, synergistic, where the "whole is greater than the sum of the parts"). Given that I utilize a fairly complicated configuration of a mix of Ethernet cables in different rooms, what I've found is that I obtain improved and greater overall performance by using more Shunyata Ethernet cables in my configuration.

The nice thing is because the overall qualities and foundation provided by Venom & Alpha is so good and, just as importantly, so consistent in their overall sonic attributes, that you can mix 'n match Shunyata Ethernet cables as your configuration requires and your budget allows. Using Venom for upstream Ethernet, and Alpha for that last, critical connection to the SOtM Network bridge took my streaming front end to levels of performance I had not been previously able to achieve and most importantly, brought the system much further along to creating engaging musical experiences.

Summing up: the Shunyata Alpha Ethernet cable brings superior performance for Ethernet audio applications, and at the price at USD $600 for 1.5M, this cable, IMHO, is an absolutely killer value proposition, as it outperforms cables from other manufacturers at many times the price. IIRC, Guilliaume reported that Alpha Ethernet notably outpeformed a 4000€ European Ethernet cable. I'm not at all suprised...

I'll finish up this thread with my impressions of the Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable. Stay tuned!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:02 PM

Thanks Stephen - great information, as always. I’ve been debating how to incorporate Shunyata’s Ethernet cables in my system. I have a Sonictransporter i7 and NAS connected to a Trendnet switch to Synology router, a 35’ run of generic Cat5e going direct from the other Ethernet port on the Sonictransporter through a crawl space to a wall jack in the listening room, then 3 meters of AQ Cinnamon from the wall jack to my Linn streamer. I’m wondering whether some sort of optical isolator and an Alpha to the Linn would be a step in the right direction.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 08-02-2019, 07:18 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Thanks Stephen - great information, as always. I’ve been debating how to incorporate Shunyata’s Ethernet cables in my system. I have a Sonictransporter i7 and NAS connected to a Trendnet switch to Synology router, a 35’ run of generic Cat5e going direct from the other Ethernet port on the Sonictransporter through a crawl space to a wall jack in the listening room, then 3 meters of AQ Cinnamon from the wall jack to my Linn streamer. I’m wondering whether some sort of optical isolator and an Alpha to the Linn would be a step in the right direction.
In my experience, yes, absolutely it would. Cat5e is not shielded, and any unshielded digital cable is susceptible to various noise factors, including RFI and EMI (shielding Ethernet cables creates other problems of their own, but that is a subject for another thread). Going optical would circumvent these problems, and the cable is also easier to route. Also, if you have a SMPS powering your Trendnet switch or Synology router, those are putting the insidious and nefarious low- and high-impedance AC leakage currents into your copper Ethernet connections (these leakage currents create all sorts of nasties, not the least of which is increased jitter and clock phase noise), and the run of optical completely abolishes those, as well.

Also, Uptone Audio will be releasing their new EtherREGEN Ethernet switch soon, and I would strongly recommend you replace your TrendNet Switch with that. Connect your Sonictransporter's Ethernet port to the "incoming side" of EtherREGEN, as well as your Synology router, and then use the SFP optical transceiver on the "output side" of EtherREGEN as your upstream FMC for the 35 ft run of optical fiber down to your audio rack. Then get a Sonore OpticalModule for the downstream end, and run a Shunyata Ethernet from that to the Linn. I would power the OpticalModule with an LPS, either a ReliaPro from Jameco, or better yet, an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2

With this setup, I'm quite confident in predicting you will obtain a LARGE degree of improvement in your digital streaming front end.

Let me know if I can help with any configuration or related questions.

Cheers, Tony.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I
Also, Uptone Audio will be releasing their new EtherREGEN Ethernet switch soon, and I would strongly recommend you replace your TrendNet Switch with that. Connect your Sonictransporter's Ethernet port to the "incoming side" of EtherREGEN, as well as your Synology router, and then use the SFP optical transceiver on the "output side" of EtherREGEN as your upstream FMC for the 35 ft run of optical fiber down to your audio rack.
Sorry Stephen. I have found the TrendNet switch with optical output to operate and sound better than many others I have rotated thru my set-up. That TrendNet with isn;t going to be replaced by anything I see on the horizon.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Sorry Stephen. I have found the TrendNet switch with optical output to operate and sound better than many others I have rotated thru my set-up. That TrendNet with isn;t going to be replaced by anything I see on the horizon.
No worries, Jim.

Just a note that you can try the EtherREGEN switch for 30 days, and if it doesn't outperform your TrendNet switch, you can obtain a full refund, no questions asked. I've followed the development of the EtherREGEN closely for some months now, and Alex Crespi and John Swenson at Uptone have pulled out all the stops on the EtherREGEN switch, even down to the specific isolation transformers used and how they were wired. My prediction is it will (notably) outperform the AQVox and SOtM Ethernet switches, and at a lower price.

Cheers,
Stephen

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-02-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
In my experience, yes, absolutely it would. Cat5e is not shielded, and any unshielded digital cable is susceptible to various noise factors, including RFI and EMI (shielding Ethernet cables creates other problems of their own, but that is a subject for another thread). Going optical would circumvent these problems, and the cable is also easier to route. Also, if you have a SMPS powering your Trendnet switch or Synology router, those are putting the insidious and nefarious low- and high-impedance AC leakage currents into your copper Ethernet connections (these leakage currents create all sorts of nasties, not the least of which is increased jitter and clock phase noise), and the run of optical completely abolishes those, as well.

Also, Uptone Audio will be releasing their new EtherREGEN Ethernet switch soon, and I would strongly recommend you replace your TrendNet Switch with that. Connect your Sonictransporter's Ethernet port to the "incoming side" of EtherREGEN, as well as your Synology router, and then use the SFP optical transceiver on the "output side" of EtherREGEN as your upstream FMC for the 35 ft run of optical fiber down to your audio rack. Then get a Sonore OpticalModule for the downstream end, and run a Shunyata Ethernet from that to the Linn. I would power the OpticalModule with an LPS, either a ReliaPro from Jameco, or better yet, an Uptone Audio LPS-1.2

With this setup, I'm quite confident in predicting you will obtain a LARGE degree of improvement in your digital streaming front end.

Let me know if I can help with any configuration or related questions.

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate the suggestions, I think this is a good roadmap for me. The 35’ run won’t be so easy to replace, but I’m retiring (for the 2nd time) in September and will have a little more time for an under-house adventure
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2