AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 PM

[QUOTE=GaryProtein;948459]I think Paul McGowan has great taste in speakers! [/QUOTE

That’s an awesome system that you have
Old 01-08-2019, 11:56 PM

Thank you!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdcuba View Post
Just not good judgment on his part. He could have gotten his point across without dissing two long standing successful brands, and avoided undermining his own legitimacy in the process.

Agreed, additionally for price point there is also over hype with certain products or brands, example B5, B6 ELAC Speakers. Tried a pair of B6’s out on a restored Classic NAD 3020, the ELAC’s were dull and missing a lot of midrange. Perhaps they needed more power, but when reconnected with ‘Advents’ musicality flourished.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:31 AM

I just have to say that I like to se "Ask Paul McGowan" very much. I have a lot of respect for his knowledge and experience. I agree with a lot of things he sad and disagree with some things. He promotes his brand but have a touch of objectivity to it and he is often quit clear about that it's his personal opinion.
I spoke with him in Munich some years ago and he is nice to talk to. No doubt that he is experienced and skilled.

This is a hobby that is based on subjective experiences. We enjoy and listen to music very differently. For some people specification is important and some does not care about it. There are all sorts of different ways to get thrilled of music.
I'm not that much into the technical sounding equipment especially not technical sounding speakers if they at the same time don't involves me in the music. A lot of systems are unfortunately like that. I don't think that's how music sounds live. When I play the piano ore drums or listen to my son playing the guitar or listen live concerts it's almost never a technical sound. Many of the technical terms we use i HiFi are just HiFi-artifacts and they never appear in live music. One of the biggest differences are that live music are that much more dynamic. I almost never consider resolution as a problem in modern HiFi compared to lack of dynamics, both micro- and macrodynamics. Pinponting instruments and voices in the HiFi-stereo image is fascinating but very seldom possible in live music. I can like that factor as well but sometimes that kind of systems lacks the involvement in the music. The trick for me in my system is to mix this things in the right proportions and at the same time never miss the soul of the music
Listen to HiFi is another way of experience music and that is not live at all. A agree with Mr Mc Gowan that you will nether for real be cheated and think that HiFi is live!
The hole point is to make your system sound the way that makes you involved and engaged in the soul of music.
What is a neutral sounding system??? Not even the same instrument sounds the same in different environments, temperatur, humidity etc etc.

Though there are some important factors that are present in good High End systems.

For me, there are a bunch of good technical speakers as well as a bunch of good "musical" speakers and also a mix of them.
Al these different sounding and well made speakers are to consider as High End speakers due to my opinion.
I love Magnepan, Sonus faber, TAD, Wilson, Verity Audio, Kaiser Kavero, Pathos, YG, some of the new Dynaudio, Rockport and many more brands. All of them set up properly sounds High End, but with a different sound.

So I disagree with Paul in this matter. To say that Sf not are High End speakers must be wrong in many different ways. The matter that Paul does not like the brand and the sound must be something else... his personal taste.
There are so many proud happy owners and fascinated reviewers about the Sf sound for over 30-years now. Not even Paul McGowen can destroy that truth.

Let's se if Paul's speakers will be as admired as Sf-speakers are around the globe. If they are they are probably very good as well and that would be great.

Now I will look at another episode of "Ask Paul McGowan" with pleasure.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLF View Post
In my business endeavors as well as personal interactions over the years, I have often found that people or businesses who need to make negative comments about competitors or associates many times have either low self esteem of themselves or their businesses. On the other hand, those businesses who are truly successful just let their businesses speak for themselves
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using New Forum mobile app
Old 01-13-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1KW View Post
Sorry but who cares what Paul thinks ? Sonus Faber makes hi end speakers , Mcintosh is also considered hi end. If your definition is tone controls don't make it hi end or flexible inputs, total BS .
+1

Sent from my SM-G955U using New Forum mobile app
Old 07-13-2019, 09:46 AM

I am also one of Paul’s fan on his YouTube channel and learned that he does not think Mcintosh and SF are that good. But I am building a system with those 2 brands anyway. If you really follow his recommendations, you will end up with all PS audio’s system...
Old 11-19-2019, 11:25 PM

I've loved music my entire life. My pursuit of good home reproduction of music began when I was about 20 when I successfully assembled a Dynakit SCA-35, paired with a couple of used Bozak something or others. Since then, I've had countless happy hours searching for and listening to various pieces of gear.

The gods recently lavished me with great good fortune and I was able to purchase a pair of late production year, mint Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage speakers.

Are they "high-end?" Perhaps. Perhaps not. All I know for certain is that they sound glorious, and after 50 or so years, my search has ended. Mr.McGowan is welcome to visit me anytime to have a listen. He just needs to call ahead.

Last edited by Paolo4223; 11-24-2019 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:06 PM

And in all honesty, if they sound glorious who cares whether they are high end or not or what anyone else thinks.
They look fabulous as well.
Old 12-14-2019, 02:43 PM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeyed View Post
Prompted my a comment Mr. McGowen of PS Audio made in a video, I reached out to him & received this response. I am re-posting it here because it was in a public forum & not a private conversation.

bugeyed December 13, 2018 at 10:12 am #

Hi Paul,
I’m really surprised at your comments about Sonus Faber speakers. They are beautiful & many sound great. I have the original Cremona & they are wonderful sounding speakers. I have heard you make several comments about other manufacturers (B&W) & this leads me to believe that you have not heard these brands well represented with proper setup & such.
Regards,
Kev

Paul McGowan December 14, 2018 at 6:28 am #
"Sonus Fabers are indeed beautiful and I made sure when my son wanted a new pair of speakers for his home he bought those. But, that doesn’t mean they are what I would think of as reference quality or highly revealing – which may or may not be for everyone. Yes, they are musical and yes they are pleasant to listen to, but they are not what I consider high-end.

B and W speakers and I go way back and I have never been a fan. Their tweeter and voicing are too far forward and aggressive for my tastes."

Certainly as we look back over the history of high end audio, especially considering the world not just the US, Franco Serblin was and will continue to be one of the pillars of high end audio design.

21st century designers/marketers who have little or no track record of designing loudspeakers might spend a bit more time designing and less time denigrating.

Last edited by metaphacts; 12-14-2019 at 02:46 PM.