AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Harbeth Speakers

Harbeth Speakers World's best loved loudspeakers

Old 05-03-2019, 08:04 PM
McKlipschead

Default Harbeth Is Not Suited For Rock Music: Fact Or Fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 View Post
I’m putting them in a room that for all intents and purposes has no side walls so I shouldn’t have an issue with too much bass. It’s a pretty open room.
They arrived an hour ago and I’ve started putting the stands together!

Yes! The big dogs need room to breathe, so prepare to be blown away you lucky dog. Can only imagine how amazing your new system is going to sound, crazy cool dude!
Old 05-04-2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyc View Post
Yes! The big dogs need room to breathe, so prepare to be blown away you lucky dog. Can only imagine how amazing your new system is going to sound, crazy cool dude!

Oh dear God, what have I done?

Pictures and the written dimensions do not not do justice to how enormous these are. They are 50% bigger than I expected.

So much for a “smaller” second system!

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

north: Vitus SIA-030, Luxman D10X, Sony TC-KA3ES, Harbeth 40.2, Siltech cables
Old 05-04-2019, 04:32 AM
McKlipschead

Quote:

Pictures and the written dimensions do not not do justice to how enormous these are. They are 50% bigger than I expected.

I think you just got the pound for pound heavyweight champ, sweeeeeeeeet!!!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:

LOL..! I thought you already had seen them... yes they are large speakers but you’ll be fine, when I heard them they sounded fantastic at moderate to medium levels as well as loud. Like Brad said your good to go on speakers, congrats and enjoy. My listening sessions have been longer and frequent since I got my Harbeths.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
LOL..! I thought you already had seen them... yes they are large speakers but you’ll be fine, when I heard them they sounded fantastic at moderate to medium levels as well as loud. Like Brad said your good to go on speakers, congrats and enjoy. My listening sessions have been longer and frequent since I got my Harbeths.
Ha, I hadn't seen them in person. I saw and listened to the JBL L100's that I thought were not all that much smaller than the Harbeth 40's but like I said, the Harbeth easily seem 50% bigger than the JBL's!

I connected everything, last night, and had music playing by about 1:30am. I didn't start the assembling the stands, unpacking the Harbeth speakers, unpacking the Marantz gear, and connecting all of it until about 9:30 pm.

I left it playing a compact disc, all night, to warm it up. So far, so good!
The speakers should be somewhat broken in because they were dealer demos, but I'm sure more consistent use will be of some benefit.

Now I have to rearrange the house furniture as the system has taken over the dining room area. After I do the rearranging, I'll work on speaker positioning. But now I've got music while I move stuff. Who needs a dining room, anyway?

south: Mark Levinson No. 52 pre, Bricasti M28 amps, Lumin A1, Oppo BDP-205, Pioneer CT-43, Sony SS-AR1 Speakers, Audioquest Dragon PCs, Audioquest speaker cables, Audioquest interconnects, HB Power Design Powerslave Star Galaxy power distributor

Old 05-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Nice pic. looks very nice system . I like your choice on the fill for the stands, mine was messy.
I’m thinking that your other system is going to feel a little neglected or now.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
Nice pic. looks very nice system . I like your choice on the fill for the stands, mine was messy.
I’m thinking that your other system is going to feel a little neglected or now.

Thanks. Yeah, this system isn’t taking a backseat to my other one, for sure.

I actually filled the posts with one container of bb’s (the copper kind, of course), which filled about a third of the post, and then filled the balance with the weighted pellets.

I figured a bit of extra mass couldn’t hurt.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:34 PM

Great looking system. Can’t wait to read your thoughts on performance.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:43 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Ha, I hadn't seen them in person. I saw and listened to the JBL L100's that I thought were not all that much smaller than the Harbeth 40's but like I said, the Harbeth easily seem 50% bigger than the JBL's!

I connected everything, last night, and had music playing by about 1:30am. I didn't start the assembling the stands, unpacking the Harbeth speakers, unpacking the Marantz gear, and connecting all of it until about 9:30 pm.

I left it playing a compact disc, all night, to warm it up. So far, so good!
The speakers should be somewhat broken in because they were dealer demos, but I'm sure more consistent use will be of some benefit.

Now I have to rearrange the house furniture as the system has taken over the dining room area. After I do the rearranging, I'll work on speaker positioning. But now I've got music while I move stuff. Who needs a dining room, anyway?

Very nice setup, Christian! Looks very elegant, crisp and clean interior design.

I see similar orchids all the time as part of the staging on my real estate photo shoots (stagers tend to place them smack in front of the view of the fireplace! LOL).

Enjoy those Harbeths!
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Very nice setup, Christian! Looks very elegant, crisp and clean interior design.

I see similar orchids all the time as part of the staging on my real estate photo shoots (stagers tend to place them smack in front of the view of the fireplace! LOL).

Enjoy those Harbeths!

Thanks. This was my mom’s house and she curated her home to be minimalist and elegant which made her feel calm and comfortable. Most everything is white and she added dark hardwood a few years back which added a nice contrast. The house is near the water and it has a beachy vibe.
She’d have gone nuts at the thought of a stereo in the house. But I thought the Marantz champagne gear would be as unobtrusive and keeping with the feel of her home. Luxman silver was the other option but I really wanted to try the Marantz SA-10 with its unique design.