AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaint519 View Post
Are you in NY?
Yes, in Brooklyn. I went up to Scarsdale via public transit. My Kuro plasma and 09FD BD player were purchased from VE.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-28-2014, 10:06 AM

I'm a great fan of the Pioneer Kuro plasmas. My Kuro KRP600m is still producing a great picture. Late last year we had a flood at home when one of the winter storms hit. The Kuro was off the wall, resting on the floor since I'd just bought a Samsung OLED to replace it. Unfortunately the bottom 2" of the Kuro were underwater for 12 hours!

I already had a buyer coming for the Kuro so obviously had to cancel that sale and I just put the Kuro in our storage unit to dry out with the other debris.

Ok, we got through 2 OLEDs in 2 months. Both had pixel issues and supplier exchanged the first and after the second we just got a refund.

We pulled the Kuro out of storage and tried it. Picture perfect and continues to work just fine. I've decided with that quality and reliability, I'm just going to stick with it!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:56 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by custodian View Post
I'm a great fan of the Pioneer Kuro plasmas. My Kuro KRP600m is still producing a great picture. Late last year we had a flood at home when one of the winter storms hit. The Kuro was off the wall, resting on the floor since I'd just bought a Samsung OLED to replace it. Unfortunately the bottom 2" of the Kuro were underwater for 12 hours!

I already had a buyer coming for the Kuro so obviously had to cancel that sale and I just put the Kuro in our storage unit to dry out with the other debris.

Ok, we got through 2 OLEDs in 2 months. Both had pixel issues and supplier exchanged the first and after the second we just got a refund.

We pulled the Kuro out of storage and tried it. Picture perfect and continues to work just fine. I've decided with that quality and reliability, I'm just going to stick with it!
Nice story. I think that's what I'm doing also, keeping my Kuro as long as possible. At the shootout, I understand the calibrators couldn't get the LG OLED to yield an accurate gamma, which is why they voted for the Samsung OLED as their top pick. LG is about to come out with 4K OLED; it will be interesting to see the results of that.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 08-31-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
Nice story. I think that's what I'm doing also, keeping my Kuro as long as possible. At the shootout, I understand the calibrators couldn't get the LG OLED to yield an accurate gamma, which is why they voted for the Samsung OLED as their top pick. LG is about to come out with 4K OLED; it will be interesting to see the results of that.
The Samsung had a stunning picture. Didn't get round to trying to calibrate it but it looked rather better in terms of contrast resolution against the Kuro (both used with Lumagen XD) however poor reliability just put me right off the current OLED sets.

I have been using the small Sony OLED for years with absolutely no problems
Old 08-31-2014, 03:17 PM
Semi-audiophile

LG has announced their new 4K OLEDs, coming this year. There are two, 65" and 77", the 65EC9700 and 77EG9700. I don't have the space or money for either (I may do something to my system soon, so no money available). Both have a gentle curve, not as pronounced as Samsung's. The 65" model will start shipping in Korea, Europe, and North America in September, with the 77" coming later. Maybe by the time I need a new TV, these will come down in price and I'd have the room for a 65" one.

Also by then, any tech issues will be resolved, I hope. Meantime I'd better take good care of my PRO-111.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM

I saw a few of the OLED sets at CES this year. Most of them had the liquid quality that comes with super high contrast displays. They looked spectacular. The LCD sets just can't touch them. When my Pioneer plasmas finally die, OLED sets will replace them. Now if only there was a reasonably priced high contrast projector option, I would go for it.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-17-2015, 03:29 PM

What would you guys shoot for in the 80" and + sizes? Again thanks for this post and info too
Old 01-17-2015, 04:25 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
I saw a few of the OLED sets at CES this year. Most of them had the liquid quality that comes with super high contrast displays. They looked spectacular. The LCD sets just can't touch them. When my Pioneer plasmas finally die, OLED sets will replace them. Now if only there was a reasonably priced high contrast projector option, I would go for it.
Looking at that Lost Horizon quote, are you a Yes fan? It sounds like something Jon Anderson would have written. They have a different lead vocalist now, of course.

I agree with you on LCD. I hope to be able to get an OLED when my Kuro bellies up.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:58 PM

Dave,
If you can wait, the large OLED's will come down in price and increase in reliability over the next few years. If not, you'll be best off looking at the sets at a store that actually has them set up properly and calibrated.

Charles,
Yes is a great band, for sure. I re-read "The Lost Horizon" a couple of years ago, and loved all the references to light, sound, and beauty. So I'm quoting a few of them from time to time.
Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Thank you, yep I am thinking my DLP 73 Mitsubishi is still not only working great, but to be honest I went and got a top end LG in led/lcd and it was not near as nice as the DLP set. The LG went back

Sure the DLP's take up a little less space etc, but that is not an issue. So sad to see Mitsubishi drop out of the TV world, they had partnered with NEC whom has always made one of the best PC LCD's you can buy. They did briefly even make a non dlp set that i think was LCD and it was very nice too.

Does seem to me that the OLED is the best of the best and hope to seem them drop the price 40-50% in a year or 2. the 4k think and 3d hmmm well I just would like a nice 85" or so set, heck even up to a 100" if I can swing the cost.

thank you