AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 12-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I disagree the Paris Accords are part of the global answer. Without China being held to the same standards, it is a drop in the bucket that weakens the US by raising costs.

Let’s choose to disagree.
No question, China is a huge problems. But, we can also choose to not purchase from them. They, along with the USA, India & Russia, are responsible for the majority of the world's pollution. And India & Russia are both signatories. Personally, I can think of nothing I either want or need to purchase from China. Especially in light of our balance of trade with them and other problems.

And, every discussion does not have to be turned into a political argument. Like covid, pollution doesn't know about your or my politics.
As stated, ignoring a problem does not make it go away.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 12-03-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
No question, China is a huge problems. But, we can also choose to not purchase from them. They, along with the USA, India & Russia, are responsible for the majority of the world's pollution. And India & Russia are both signatories. Personally, I can think of nothing I either want or need to purchase from China. Especially in light of our balance of trade with them and other problems.

And, every discussion does not have to be turned into a political argument. Like covid, pollution doesn't know about your or my politics.
As stated, ignoring a problem does not make it go away.
This thread will get shut down again because we can't stay on topic but...

Russia is a country of 144 million mouths to feed with a geographical area 74% bigger than that of the US, 78% bigger than China and 420% bigger than India. At the same time, the US, China and India have populations of 350 million, 1.393 billion and 1.353 billion respectively.

Me thinks someone needs to educate and advocate on birth control a bit better.

In order to pollute, you need to be "doing" something. Manufacturing.

So...

How much export?

China- 2.5 Trillion

US- 1.7 Trillion

Russia- 444 Billion...

I don't think Russia has a place in this conversation? But the media will surely have you believe that.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-03-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:01 PM

All species have an intricate and positive role in the whole eco system - except the human mankind. If we were to be erased from the equation all aspects of "life on earth" would be better for the remaining forms of life. That is amazing.
We have the be best prerequisite to improve life for our self and all our neighbours, but we decided to focus all of our efforts and abilities to do something else.....
Old 12-03-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblue View Post
All species have an intricate and positive role in the whole eco system - except the human mankind. If we were to be erased from the equation all aspects of "life on earth" would be better for the remaining forms of life. That is amazing.
We have the be best prerequisite to improve life for our self and all our neighbours, but we decided to focus all of our efforts and abilities to do something else.....
Blame it on the curse of the Frontal Cortex. We'd be still happily swinging from tree to tree in complete ignorance and bliss on this heaven called Earth.

Our planet truly is a gift and is unique (as far as we know so far) but we are determined to turn it into absolute hell for ourselves and especially the future generations.

Last edited by PHC1; 12-03-2020 at 03:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:16 PM

Getting a bit off topic now but... hypothetically...

Now imagine one day you wake up and realize that you are conscious but inside an electronic box. A computer for example.

Fully aware but cannot escape that box. It is a transplanted consciousness. You are made aware that your cryogenically preserved body was discovered some thousands of years later but they were only able to download all your memories and consciousness. Not yet able to transplant into a biological body. But you are able to interact with the world through the mic, speakers and a camera to see the outside world. No other biological functions are existent or needed. It is your world now for eternity if you chose it.

Question one. Would that be a blessing or a curse?

On one hand you are given eternal life, on the other, it is your own prison...

Question two. Ask to terminate or keep going? Terminate and you are gone forever into nothingness from which you arrived or keep going quietly observing everything from your conscious box for eternity?

Old 12-03-2020, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
When you say "our world", think about what that actually implies ...
What makes you believe that I haven't already considered that?

Quote:
... Realize that this will never end well. It's not in our cards ...
Sorry, but I don't accept the vision you have in your crystal ball, and I don't share your dystopian view.

Our world is laden with trouble and suffering yet love and goodness abound.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeds View Post
What makes you believe that I haven't already considered that?

Sorry, but I don't accept the vision you have in your crystal ball, and I don't share your dystopian view.

Our world is laden with trouble and suffering yet love and goodness abound.
That is your view and I am actually hoping for the same love and goodness.

Yet all the events, focus and future plans are quite the opposite from most world leaders. Instead of disarming ourselves of planet extinguishing weapons of destruction, we are again going the other way. Military might is more important than ever now that there is another superpower that is about to overtake us.

You see, there is this one big egotistical part of the brain called the frontal cortex and it is hell bent on world domination and is very power hungry. This is no longer a small quarrel who gets the banana or who gets to suck that last piece of meat off the bone by the cave fire...

The stakes are much higher now and you see, there is this "Doomsday Clock"

Doomsday Clock is made every year by the Bulletin’s Science and Security Board in consultation with its Board of Sponsors, which includes 13 Nobel laureates. The Clock has become a universally recognized indicator of the world’s vulnerability to catastrophe from nuclear weapons, climate change, and disruptive technologies in other domains.

What says the Doomsday Clock today? It says 100 seconds to midnight...

Use them wisely my friends
Old 12-03-2020, 03:52 PM

https://thebulletin.org/doomsday-clock/current-time/
Old 12-03-2020, 04:09 PM

I doubt that we're the only presumably--and I use that word advisedly--"intelligent" life form in the universe. I'm not even sure that we're the most intelligent life form on this planet, for that matter...unless our unparalleled ability to find ingenious and highly sophisticated ways to screw things up with our opposable thumbs is what qualifies us for that honor.

We know what we know. We know--and hopefully admit--that there are things we don't know. And we should recognize that there may be--no, make that "are"--things that we don't know we don't know. The humility that that acknowledgment of our limits implies is what I construe as "intelligence".

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Why would you think that we have to make a positive contribution to this planet. We use it just like all life on it does. The idea to do a little harm as possible has its merits and I'm all for that.
Exactly.