AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shunyata Research

Shunyata Research Designing Silent Systems for recording, film and music

Old 05-02-2019, 10:33 PM

Default Upgrade plan for power, cables & distributor. Seeking advices.

Hey there,

Since last autumn, I have quickly put up a new sound system which I really enjoy. You can see it in the picture below. I know quite well that I do not get the best performance from the system because of a conjunction of mixed power cables and the lack of a proper power distributor. So, I decided to establish an upgrade plan that I can do step by step that will significantly increase the performance of my system. Here below is how things are configured now:

Actual:
XLO Ultra X-10 (borrowed from a friend) on Yamaha CA-1000 amp
Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX on BDA-3
No-name custom cord for BDP-2 (seems decent though)

There are two duplexes in front of the room as you can see in the picture. However, this is a single dedicated 20A line (was dumb enough to forget about running another wire while the ceiling was open). So for now, as I lack a power distributor, I have only 4 sockets I can use but as I will merge my home cinema further more with my 2 channels system, I will need more. So this is why I was thinking to first add a Shunyata Triton. This would allow me to plug up to 8 devices.

But for sure, a Shunyata Triton is to not only be used as a mere power bar. Off course I wish to benefit from its noise reduction capabilities. This is where I hope it is going to help.

My Yamaha CA-1000 is a one of a kind restored and modified CA-1000. It has been fully recapped, cleaned inside out, had a power socket installed and high quality speaker binding posts installed as well. But when the music is not playing and if I turned the volume knob, I can hear a slight hiss, which may be normal in some ways. That's one thing. The main thing is that when I listen to music, music that is "busy" with lots of instruments and when the volume raises I can hear a more pronounced SSSHHHHHH that becomes very distracting. The music sounds just more congested just as if there was something that could not keep up. I just don't know what is the exact source of the problem. Here are my theories:

1- I have reached the potential of the amplifier and I may need to look for something more modern.
2- I may need to upgrade my IC between my BDA-3 and my amplifier. Right now I am using a Kimber Hero, which I was told it is prone to noise because of the geometry. My IC between my BDP-2 and BDA-3 is a BIS Audio USB (local brand in Québec).

But before jumping on #1, I would like to first start a power cable loom and also adding a distributor. Knowing my components and that I have the intent to stick with them for a while (especially for the BDA-3), I was thinking to first purchase a Shunyata Triton. Regardless of future upgrades/changes, I would get the base right. Am I correct with this reasoning or there would be a better way to do things?

With the Triton in place, what cable would be necessary to feed it? I don't plan for the Sigma as they are out of my price range and comfortable zone for cabling. I was thinking about a Alpha HC 20A.

With the Triton and Alpha HC inserted in the chain, could I also use other Alpha HC to feed the BDA-3 as GrantS suggested in another thread? Or should I go with a lesser cable considering there is a Triton in the mix? I know (per what I read) that it's better to use a better cable to feed the Triton than those plugged in the Triton to feed the components. If it is of general consensus that it's best to start with a Triton and adding power cables down the road, this is what I am going to do.

Thanks for your time, and advice. I wish to avoid pitfalls here

Edit:
The duplex on the left is a Shunyata SR-Z1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4429.jpg (84.5 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Parabellum; 05-02-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:10 PM

Among these three choices and according to my configuration, which one would be preferred, and why?

-Triton
-Talos
-DPC-6
Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Hey there,

Since last autumn, I have quickly put up a new sound system which I really enjoy. You can see it in the picture below. I know quite well that I do not get the best performance from the system because of a conjunction of mixed power cables and the lack of a proper power distributor. So, I decided to establish an upgrade plan that I can do step by step that will significantly increase the performance of my system. Here below is how things are configured now:

Actual:
XLO Ultra X-10 (borrowed from a friend) on Yamaha CA-1000 amp
Shunyata Black Mamba HC/CX on BDA-3
No-name custom cord for BDP-2 (seems decent though)

There are two duplexes in front of the room as you can see in the picture. However, this is a single dedicated 20A line (was dumb enough to forget about running another wire while the ceiling was open). So for now, as I lack a power distributor, I have only 4 sockets I can use but as I will merge my home cinema further more with my 2 channels system, I will need more. So this is why I was thinking to first add a Shunyata Triton. This would allow me to plug up to 8 devices.

But for sure, a Shunyata Triton is to not only be used as a mere power bar. Off course I wish to benefit from its noise reduction capabilities. This is where I hope it is going to help.

My Yamaha CA-1000 is a one of a kind restored and modified CA-1000. It has been fully recapped, cleaned inside out, had a power socket installed and high quality speaker binding posts installed as well. But when the music is not playing and if I turned the volume knob, I can hear a slight hiss, which may be normal in some ways. That's one thing. The main thing is that when I listen to music, music that is "busy" with lots of instruments and when the volume raises I can hear a more pronounced SSSHHHHHH that becomes very distracting. The music sounds just more congested just as if there was something that could not keep up. I just don't know what is the exact source of the problem. Here are my theories:

1- I have reached the potential of the amplifier and I may need to look for something more modern.
2- I may need to upgrade my IC between my BDA-3 and my amplifier. Right now I am using a Kimber Hero, which I was told it is prone to noise because of the geometry. My IC between my BDP-2 and BDA-3 is a BIS Audio USB (local brand in Québec).

But before jumping on #1, I would like to first start a power cable loom and also adding a distributor. Knowing my components and that I have the intent to stick with them for a while (especially for the BDA-3), I was thinking to first purchase a Shunyata Triton. Regardless of future upgrades/changes, I would get the base right. Am I correct with this reasoning or there would be a better way to do things?

With the Triton in place, what cable would be necessary to feed it? I don't plan for the Sigma as they are out of my price range and comfortable zone for cabling. I was thinking about a Alpha HC 20A.

With the Triton and Alpha HC inserted in the chain, could I also use other Alpha HC to feed the BDA-3 as GrantS suggested in another thread? Or should I go with a lesser cable considering there is a Triton in the mix? I know (per what I read) that it's better to use a better cable to feed the Triton than those plugged in the Triton to feed the components. If it is of general consensus that it's best to start with a Triton and adding power cables down the road, this is what I am going to do.

Thanks for your time, and advice. I wish to avoid pitfalls here

Edit:
The duplex on the left is a Shunyata SR-Z1.
I think you have the priorities correct. The Alpha HC 20 Amp would certainly be a great cable with which to power the Triton. As for the BDA-3, certainly an Alpha would be a good bet, but I don't know that you need a High Current-specific cable for digital source component. I might think about a noise-reducing cable specifically, e.g. a Delta NR for your BDA-3.

As for your Yamaha receiver, any Shunyata cable would do well here, even the Venom HC or Delta EF, even a used Zitron Cobra or Black Mamba CX would serve you very well. They are still great cables.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:38 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parabellum View Post
Among these three choices and according to my configuration, which one would be preferred, and why?

-Triton
-Talos
-DPC-6
Depends. Which Triton are you considering? V1, V2 or V3?

If you're going to get a Triton V1, I'd prioritize the DPC-6 over that as it has component-to-component noise filtering, a key technology. That will pay big dividends for the BDA-3; in my experience, noise attenuation for digital source components is particularly important (which is why I also recommended the Delta NR PC above). The DPC-6 also has some receptacles that can be used for a power amp if you ever decide to go that route.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:52 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:

I don't know how old your Yamaha integrated is, but its possible that it might be time to replace it. Even solid state components do not last for forever; transistors go bad, caps can fail, etc, etc.

Regarding ICs, I don't know that the problem you describe is due to the interconnects, especially if they are in good condition and don't have any internal shorts. That being said, if you were to consider new ICs, I'd also recommend Shunyata Venom RCA ICs; I just did a 10-day comparison with these vs my AudioQuest Columbia, which originally sold for $500/1M and I felt that while the two cables were very, very close in performance and overall sonic character, the Venom RCAs were just a touch quieter and as a result, more transparent, open, spacious, and detailed. But, we're talking a difference of a few percent here, I'd say. Still, the Venom ICs at an MSRP of $350 are 70% of the price original $500 MSRP for the Audioquest Columbia.

It might be time to consider better source components. I don't what your budget is, but if I were searching for something in a very reasonable price range that gave excellent performance, I'd be looking very seriously at a Schiit Freya tube preamp and Vidar Class A/B power amp. They can be purchased together for $1600. I put my little Schiit Valhalla headphone amp into my system for a while as it can also be used as single-input preamp, and I was very surprised how good it sounded compared to my $7500 Conrad-Johnson CT-5 preamp. So, don't let the price of Schiit audio gear be misleading, all their products punch WAY above their price class.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 05-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:49 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

Just for grins, try putting a blanket over what looks like it might be a coffee table. Maybe a couple Stillpoint Apertures on the wall. Congestion is very often a result of a poor acoustic environment.

As to components, upgrade your amplifier first.

For a power distributor, a Triton v1 should be fine for your level of components. Feed it with a Shunyata King Cobra.

In that order, imo.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM

I am an apartment dweller. This limits what I can 'do' to the place. Currently I also am limited to ONE 20 amp outlet (with its own breaker) in the kitchen.
So I do use it, and run two long (35 feet. and 44 feet) quad twist mil Spec silver plated 12 gauge sets of wires..
Each of the extensions has a (a few feet from end) Furutech GTX-D duplex, and the end point a pair of them, in boxes on floor..
The shorter runs two conditioners, The longer goes direct to the amplifier.
By using these extensions, to home made duplex boxes using in wall stuff from Menard's etc.They are just as good as any bought (in fact IMO better!) extensions.
With six duplex total from the wall, and my conditioners, I have space for more plugs than any person could want.
Last Fall I converted all of those duplex to Furutech GTX=D as an upgrade. Very worthwhile.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
Just for grins, try putting a blanket over what looks like it might be a coffee table. Maybe a couple Stillpoint Apertures on the wall. Congestion is very often a result of a poor acoustic environment.

As to components, upgrade your amplifier first.

For a power distributor, a Triton v1 should be fine for your level of components. Feed it with a Shunyata King Cobra.

In that order, imo.
Thanks for the infos. Yes, that's a vintage coffee table and it's part of the decor so I didn't think about covering it. Please bear in mind that my basement renovation is not yet finished. I took a long break this winter enjoying all my effort. I have been 2 years without a sound system. I do have a area rug that is 9' X 10' that I need to add once I finish the work. I will buy a sectional couch made out of fabric for coziness and also for acoustics. Also some other tweaks like sound panels, etc.

I don't plan to upgrade the amplifier just yet. I really like how it sounds. Later, once I will have took care of all the power things, I may be tempted to upgrade it, and it will land in the living room upstairs as a secondary system.

I agree with you about the Triton, I was thinking about the v1 too. My system is quite modest in the fields of audio. And, the v1 is more in line with my budget. Another interesting upgrade path is that I have the possibility to send it to Shunyata for v3 upgrade, if I wish so.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
I think you have the priorities correct. The Alpha HC 20 Amp would certainly be a great cable with which to power the Triton. As for the BDA-3, certainly an Alpha would be a good bet, but I don't know that you need a High Current-specific cable for digital source component. I might think about a noise-reducing cable specifically, e.g. a Delta NR for your BDA-3.

As for your Yamaha receiver, any Shunyata cable would do well here, even the Venom HC or Delta EF, even a used Zitron Cobra or Black Mamba CX would serve you very well. They are still great cables.
I was first thinking about the Alpha Digital to feed my BDA-3 but GrantS advised against it and indicated me that DACs really benefits from the high gauge, hence suggesting an Alpha HC for this task. The Alpha Digital would be well suited for my BDA-2.

I was just wondering, is it okay to have a Alpha HC to feed the Triton, and from the Triton to have another Alpha HC to feed the amplifier? Or should the amplifier plugged straight to the wall? If memory serves me, I believe the Triton is designed to feed amplifiers but I am not totally sure.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Depends. Which Triton are you considering? V1, V2 or V3?

If you're going to get a Triton V1, I'd prioritize the DPC-6 over that as it has component-to-component noise filtering, a key technology. That will pay big dividends for the BDA-3; in my experience, noise attenuation for digital source components is particularly important (which is why I also recommended the Delta NR PC above). The DPC-6 also has some receptacles that can be used for a power amp if you ever decide to go that route.
I was under the impression that the DPC-6 was mainly for digital products. The three duplexes at the back are labelled "digital"