AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 09-12-2018, 05:49 PM

Default Improve the phono stage, what’s new?

Hi guys,
I very appreciate the phono stage of my system (the phono preamplifier built-in in my McIntosh MA8000), but I would like to try to improve it!
Which phono stage is the best solution for my audio system?
I have pointed the McIntosh MP100 phono preamplifier (3000 €).

What do you think about it?

Moving up from my phono built-in to external dedicated phono stage (MP100) will be a sensible improvement?
I don’t want to spent 3000 € for improve only the 1% quality of my audio system...
Old 09-12-2018, 07:38 PM

I recently purchased a Gold Note PH-10 and I'm blown away at its performance. Its hard to believe its only $1595 - for now. Super flexible, great build quality, fabulous sound, and an upgrade path for the future.

Check out their website and see tons of reviews online. It will definitely be worth your while.

"HANDCRAFTED IN ITALY WITH PASSION AND TECHNOLOGY"
"The secret behind PH-10?
We design, craft and assemble every single part!
Every PH-10 is handmade in Italy with the best audio grade components to ensure flawless music playback.
The level of quality meets the highest standard throughout the entire production: from the CNC machining to the assembly and finally to the electronic tests at the PC."

My analog system finally sounds superior to my digital.

Ron
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 PM
Audio Enthusiast

I recently purchased a new turntable and after some tweaks to get the best sound I could, I realized that my phono pre was not up to snuff. Today I purchased a Sutherland Engineering Insight phono pre. There were many excellent phono pre's out there so the field was wide open. Good luck.
Sources..........Music Hall MMF 9.3 Walnut w/ Goldring
Eroica LX MC Cartridge
Phono Pre...…..Sutherland Insight

CD Player Rotel RCD-1072
Record Cleaning Machine...….Okki Nokki
DAC................Bryston BDA-3
Headphones.....Drop + Dan Clark Audio Ether CX /
Sennheiser HD-660S
Headphone Amp.....Bryston BHA-1
Cables....Amp to preamp - Morrow MA4
Preamp to DAC - Morrow MA4
Preamp to Headphone Amp - Morrow MA2
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 PM

THE GOLD NOTE PH-10 IS THE FIRST PHONO STAGE WITH 2 INPUTS AND 6 EQ CURVES

PH-10 is an ultra-versatile phono preamplifier that offers unique features, including EQ CURVES, LOAD and GAIN adjustments: a fully analogue design engineered exclusively with high quality coils, capacitors and resistors.

PH-10 is controlled via knob and display using a sophisticated micro-controller to select the functions through our custom firmware that is loaded on a micro SD dedicated flash memory and can be updated easily via PC. The micro-controller is separated and independent from the audio signal path to guarantee always clear and pure sound.

Once the tonearms are connected, PH-10 can be set with 4 different GAIN levels [-3dB, 0dB, +3dB, 6dB] to match precisely the output level of any MM or MC cartridge.

The perfect setup is guaranteed with 9 different LOAD options [10Ω, 22Ω, 47Ω, 100Ω, 220Ω, 470Ω, 1000Ω, 22KΩ, 47KΩ] that will let you adjust the preamp to match it with a large number of cartridges in a quick, easy way.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PH-10.jpg (42.8 KB, 539 views)
Processor: McIntosh MX170, Amp: Legacy Audio i-V7, Digital: Benchmark DAC3B, Roon Music Player, Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV 4K, Fire TV Stick 4K Max, Analog: Gold Note Pianosa Turntable, Gold Note PH-10 Phono Preamplifier, Donatello MC Cartridge, Speakers: Legacy Audio Signature SE Natural Sapele Pommele, Silverscreen HD Center, JL Audio e112-Gloss Sub
Old 09-13-2018, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlas View Post
Hi guys,
I very appreciate the phono stage of my system (the phono preamplifier built-in in my McIntosh MA8000), but I would like to try to improve it!
Which phono stage is the best solution for my audio system?
I have pointed the McIntosh MP100 phono preamplifier (3000 €).

What do you think about it?

Moving up from my phono built-in to external dedicated phono stage (MP100) will be a sensible improvement?
I don’t want to spent 3000 € for improve only the 1% quality of my audio system...
This will not improve your system. I already asked McIntosh directly about this. Only MP1100 would make a difference inside McIntosh range
Old 09-13-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppyhome View Post
THE GOLD NOTE PH-10 IS THE FIRST PHONO STAGE WITH 2 INPUTS AND 6 EQ CURVES

Ron
It’s very good PrePhono from the paper...
For owners and people that has played with him, have you any suggestions related to the difference between PH-10 and the prephono built-in in my MA8000?
This for saying if with PH-10 I will have relevant upgrade or not..
Old 09-13-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlas View Post
It’s very good PrePhono from the paper...
For owners and people that has played with him, have you any suggestions related to the difference between PH-10 and the prephono built-in in my MA8000?
This for saying if with PH-10 I will have relevant upgrade or not..
I really enjoy mine and recommend the Gold Note without reservation. I was impressed so much, I then purchased their Pianosa Turntable, and then recently added the Donatello Gold cartridge. I suggest you read all the reviews and summarize there impressions.

The cost is more than reasonable, so ask your dealer to demo it in your system, then you can be the judge.

Ron
Old 03-09-2019, 01:46 AM

I was just on the Gold Note website. There is no dealer info. Do you purchase direct from Gold Note?

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:18 AM

Paul this is a dealer on the East Coast.

https://audio-exchange.com/
Old 03-09-2019, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
Paul this is a dealer on the East Coast.

https://audio-exchange.com/
Thank you Jack!

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
Music Server: Aurender N100H
Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.