AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 AM

Nice looking preamp! Very interested in hearing your feedback on how it sounds and how you like the touchscreen.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 PM

I only have 10 hours on the unit so I wont comment much on sound other to say it sounds very close to the Ref5SE I had on loan from the local HiFi shop.

The Looks, The Touch, The Feel...

The Looks:
As I stated earlier Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
I do like the way it looks. It has a very clean Hi-Tech look.
However that was not my first response when I placed it in the rack with the other ARC gear. The black handles do not look so cool with the all silver PreAmp above.

The Touch:
I like the large easily legible touch display. I can read it from my chair about 10 feet away, assuming you are close to eye level. If you are off axis above the display is not as legible.
The touch functions work as expected. I have not had any user interface issues or difficulties in use. If you tap the display rapidly it will lock up for a few seconds and then return to normal function.

The Feel.
I love it! cant say it enough. I love the large smooth aluminium volume and selector knobs.
The Volume works as describe by ARC. "Those large knobs rotate fully, are optically-coupled and speed sensitive; turn it slowly and the volume will change incrementally; a quick turn one way or the other will raise or lower the volume by a large amount. Also for the first time, the Input selector is on the left, the Volume control is on the right."

The source selector must be turned 1/4 turn to change to the next input. I like this feature. If it were more sensitive the user might change inputs it the dial is inadvertently moved.

The User manual is way better than I expected. Well written and useable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1114.jpg (86.4 KB, 467 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1112.jpg (98.9 KB, 446 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1117.jpg (79.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1113.jpg (89.0 KB, 437 views)

Last edited by jdandy; 08-24-2014 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Enlarge photos.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:02 AM

I'm happy for you! I thought it sounded great, but I was put off by the speed sensitive control and the weird clicking on the left knob that didn't work until about, 10 clicks. Just not intuitive to me. But I'm still a big fan of arc gear, look at my signature.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:12 PM

Ronin Audio...have you tried the phono stage? What linestage and phonostage is the SP20 replacing? Thx and congrats again.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:12 PM

Yes i use the phono stage, that is my primary source. I was thinking about going with the PH6. I auditioned it at length with my LS17SE and the shop Ref5SE. I chose to sell the LS17Se and go with the SP20 on more or less a blind recommendation from my friend and HiFi shop owner. I'm pleased I did. I feel the phono performance is superior to the Ph6.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I'm happy for you! I thought it sounded great, but I was put off by the speed sensitive control
That's the biggest thing I miss from my Levinson No. 380S; glad to see someone else also thinks it's a good idea.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAudio View Post
Yes i use the phono stage, that is my primary source. I was thinking about going with the PH6. I auditioned it at length with my LS17SE and the shop Ref5SE. I chose to sell the LS17Se and go with the SP20 on more or less a blind recommendation from my friend and HiFi shop owner. I'm pleased I did. I feel the phono performance is superior to the Ph6.
Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-07-2014, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoninAudio View Post
Your impressions are greatly appreciated. Let us know how things progress as it gets broken in.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 AM

I'd also like hear people's impressions of this preamp. I rarely ever touch the front panel of my preamp so the touch screen sensitivity doesn't seem all that big of a deal. I'm strongly considering one of these.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:41 PM

I currently have SP15 preamp and VT130 amp that bought new in early and mid 1990's.
I did not use for a long time and last year got everything up and going again.
I am looking to upgrade to a Ref 75 and the SP20.
I listen to vinyl mostly. My dealer recommends this combo to keep things simple and be a big improvement over my current set up. Looking to order in about 6 - 8 weeks.