AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 PM

A true gem of an album IMHO.

After opening in June 1958, the “Blue Note” became the most cosmopolitan jazz club in all of Paris. Located on 27 rue d’Artois, in the 8th arrondissement, fans were usually crammed on the leather benches that dotted its large central hall, and if they couldn’t find a spot, there was always the bar. The acoustics of the room were excellent, and the house band included some of the best French jazzmen led by guitarist Jimmy Gourley.

They, in turn, accompanied many of the top American soloists who visited the “Blue Note” during the splendor years of the club (1958-1965). The long list of names includes Sarah Vaughan, Zoot Sims, Stan Getz, Sonny Stitt, Ray Nance, Lester Young, Alice McCloud, Lucky Thompson, Johnny Griffin and Booker Ervin.

The “Blue Note” was also the club where the legendary bebop pianist Bud Powell established the base of operations for his trio, with Pierre Michelot on bass, and Kenny Clarke on drums.

Their stay had really successful moments, and ran from 1959 until 1962, with daily performances where they alternated with the featured American guest of the week.

In November 1960, Maurice Vander—one of the most prominent jazz pianists in Europe at the time—joined forces with the talents of Michelot and Clarke. The trio was warmly acclaimed by the audience at the “Blue Note”, and that good response led to the recording of these excellent live performances. There is no doubt that Vander, Michelot and Clarke were truly “three of a kind”.

Blue Sound/Fresh Sound Records https://www.freshsoundrecords.com/ma...blue-note.html

"In this present era of atonal naval gazing at the ivories, this reissue by Fresh Sound Records remind us of a time and style when the swing pulse was inherent in every tune, be it upbeat or relaxed and casual.

Almost unheard of in the states, French pianist Maurice Vander was a major voice in the 1950s-60s European jazz scene. Here, at the famed Blue Note Club in Paris, he’s able to show his wares with the proto-boppers Pierre Michelot/b and Kenny Clarke/dr, fresh off of a gig with Bud Powell. Vander is a double fisted delight, asserting himself with swinging takes of “Take the ‘A’ Train” and giving a nice gospel groove to “Walkin’”. The band gets into a bluesy mood with an ethereal “Django” and reflects like a full moon on “Willow Weep For Me.” A nod to Powell is tipped on “I’ll Remember April” before the team closes out with a sepia toned “Blue Lester.” Sort of like a Gaul’d Gene Harris. Where’d this guy hide?"

George W. Harris (March 22, 2018)
http://www.jazzweekly.com

Last edited by PHC1; 11-05-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 05:37 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Dreamcatcher
Lee Ritenour
Not released yet, Ultra High Def Stream on Amazon. Excellent!
Regards,
Jim

Old 11-05-2020, 06:59 PM

A nice evening alto saxophone/quintet listen. A solid performance from new talent. No doubt we will see more albums from this young man.

Smooth, round, confident and engaging alto sax playing with a nice attack and enough bite when called for.

Last edited by PHC1; 11-05-2020 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:41 PM

I enjoyed this album earlier today.

BAZ Trio from Brussels.

Bazz Trio are:

Basile Rahola (bass), Wajdi Riahi (piano), Oscar Georges (drums).

Modern compositions with a nice balance of dreamy and a bit melancholic components to moderate energy and tempo, swelling into a nice crescendo mid album and cooling back down allowing the listener to take in all the instruments and appreciate the compositions without tiring or boring them.

Not a review, just some notes and my thoughts below...

A nice evening jazz album to sit down and spend some quality time with your rig. An adult beverage of your choice and one will get lost in the music and the inevitable tug and pull on the life memories this album will provoke.

Also a good album to evaluate your rig as the tracks shift the emphasis from one instrument dominance and spectrum to another. Listen to the bass qualities as Basile Rahola tugs and slaps at the strings letting the woofers strut their stuff showing off the bass articulation.

The melodious, chilled to perfection but never icy or too cold piano riffs under Wajdi Riahi hands rolling off your midranges, scattering across the room in perfect harmony. The piano is brimming with expressive playing and the recording captures it with a harmonically rich, with a hint of extra warmth piano overtones, while capturing your attention and showcasing the fast and skilled hands commanding the piano keys. (track Rosa especially)

Cymbals crashing, their sparkle illuminating the acoustic space and giving us the subtle clues of the size of the acoustic space the recording took place... Drum skin is tight but never dry on this album and Oscar Georges keeps the perfect pace with the bass, the drum whipping up a lot of drama on most tracks but especially Lamma Bada Yathathanna.

Let the Bazz Trio show you a good time, it is worth the listen. I certainly enjoyed this album.

Last edited by PHC1; 11-05-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 07:46 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Fourplay
Self titled
The one that got my attention! Excellent recording and exceptional play.
Warner Brothers 9 26656-2
Regards,
Jim

Old 11-06-2020, 02:17 PM
Life is beautiful

Keith Jarrett - Budapest Concert
Qobuz 24/48

Our radio station Klara waxed lyrical about this album.
I had troubles to really get into it I must admit...
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-06-2020, 02:24 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonmb View Post
Dave Liebman/Randy Brecker/Marc Copland/Drew Gress/Joey Baron: Quint5T

A group of old hands making new music. Good music but the recording could use a little more bass.

You made me curious Tony.
We saw Dave Liebman live last year, and it was a truly terrific concert.
And we've seen Joey Baron twice last year (we were to see him again this year... ), and we think he's one of the best drummers around.
The other three aren't too bad either.
This is a great album.
You are right, the bass is a bit too down in the mix.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-06-2020, 04:04 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Avishai Cohen - Into The Silence

He was the artist in residence last weekend in the Antwerp Jazz Middelheim festival.
We heard him on 4 occasions, each time in a different constellation, different style.
He's a top musician.
A brilliant technique, rich ideas.

This is his last album.
It has a dreamy, relaxing quality.
You can listen to it as background music, you can dive into it and enjoy what's under the surface.

Streaming this again.
I really like it.
Old 11-06-2020, 04:52 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Deep into It
Larry Carlton
Excellent!
Warner Brothers 9362-48006-2
Regards,
Jim

Old 11-06-2020, 05:02 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Paul Desmond - Bossa Antigua

Not my favorite Bossa Nova album but still a pleasant one

Recorded in 1964, released on RCA Victor

Paul Desmond – Alto Saxophone
Jim Hall – Guitar
Eugene Wright, Gene Cherico – Bass
Connie Kay – Drums

Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser