AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 11-03-2017, 08:37 AM
On Florida's Slow Coast

You said... Tweeter technology is less advanced; competitive speaker;... you probably should get the Sabrina as you'll never be happy thinking there's something out there that might be better. Some folks swear by and prefer the beryllium in the WP7. All our ears and preferences in sound are different so the only way to make a choice is by listening to the three choices.

If you buy a used speaker from a dealer, you'll need to ask their policy about ongoing service. I'm sure Wilson will service most all of their older models, for a fee... so think about that cost in evaluating the total real cost of a used speaker. Some dealers offer Wilson recertified older models with warranties, they maybe an option for you. Wilson is not likely to upgrade older models as newer drivers won't work with old crossovers in older enclosures. Listen and decide.
Wilson Yvette speakers, Conrad-Johnson ART88 pre, TEA1bc phono, and ART27A Amplifier, Marantz digital player, Rega Planar 10 turntable / Apheta 3 cartridge,Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse IC and speaker, I AQ Hurricane, Tornado power cables, Shunyata Denali 2 conditioner, dCS Bartok DAC/Streamer
Old 11-03-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
You said... Tweeter technology is less advanced; competitive speaker;... you probably should get the Sabrina as you'll never be happy thinking there's something out there that might be better. Some folks swear by and prefer the beryllium in the WP7. All our ears and preferences in sound are different so the only way to make a choice is by listening to the three choices.

If you buy a used speaker from a dealer, you'll need to ask their policy about ongoing service. I'm sure Wilson will service most all of their older models, for a fee... so think about that cost in evaluating the total real cost of a used speaker. Some dealers offer Wilson recertified older models with warranties, they maybe an option for you. Wilson is not likely to upgrade older models as newer drivers won't work with old crossovers in older enclosures. Listen and decide.
WP7 used titanium, not berylium.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:22 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey_v View Post
WP7 used titanium, not berylium.
True. The only beryllium tweeters Wilson explored/developed never made it into a production speaker.

Last edited by metaphacts; 11-03-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:59 AM

Thanks to all who have responded with their opinions and experiences. This is a major commitment for me at this point in my life and want to go in having the best information from as many seasoned ears as possible!

What a great forum and group of people!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:41 PM

Among other speakers that I will audition are the monitor audio platinum 300 II, platinum 500 II, Focal Sopra 3, and Vienna acoustics Liszt
Old 09-27-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphacts View Post
True. The only beryllium tweeters Wilson explored/developed never made it into a production speaker.

Side topic, was at a Focal demo recently and asked the factory rep if they were still supplying their components to 3rd parties when he stated they had over 300 different components they produced. He told me they were only providing to Wilson as of recent as they were their first manufacturer customer and Wilson had been such a loyal/balued customer. When Focal moved over to Beryllium, they cut off Wilson from graduating along with their “latest technologies” but agreed to still produce and supply them with their titanium tweeters. This was to help Focal stand out in the marketplace, but Wilson never got access to the Beryllium tweeters from Focal.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsifalcor View Post
Among other speakers that I will audition are the monitor audio platinum 300 II, platinum 500 II, Focal Sopra 3, and Vienna acoustics Liszt
I think a strong contender should be Rockport Atrias. Audiogon has a current listing at an attractive price.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Lower Provo River, UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mille162 View Post
Side topic, was at a Focal demo recently and asked the factory rep if they were still supplying their components to 3rd parties when he stated they had over 300 different components they produced. He told me they were only providing to Wilson as of recent as they were their first manufacturer customer and Wilson had been such a loyal/balued customer. When Focal moved over to Beryllium, they cut off Wilson from graduating along with their “latest technologies” but agreed to still produce and supply them with their titanium tweeters. This was to help Focal stand out in the marketplace, but Wilson never got access to the Beryllium tweeters from Focal.

Wilson has not used Focal derived drivers in a new design for many years. At this point, the most recent would be XLF. We continue to supply center channels and surrounds with the titanium tweeter to match earlier generation Wilsons.

As for tweeters, Dave worked with many materials to develop a new driver before making a final choice for the WAMM, including beryllium and diamond. Were you to tour the Wilson factory, you would see quite a collection in our development boneyard. Ultimately those materials were not the final choice. The ultimate concern was performance at the bottom of the range, the mid range junction, rather than whether the tweeter extended out to 40k or 50k.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:14 PM

As an owner of a Maxx3 I can attest to the fact that the Focal Ti tweeter is one of the best I have ever heard. From top to bottom I could never fault the Maxx3.

Digital: McIntosh MCD1100, MVP881BR, MVP851, Marantz LV510 LD
Tuner: McIntosh MR87
Speakers: Wilson Alexx
Sub-woofer: Wilson Thor
Cables: AudioQuest Wel Signature Speaker & Interconnects & Dragon Power Cords
Power: AudioQuest Niagara 7000 (1) and 5000 (2)
Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
As an owner of a Maxx3 I can attest to the fact that the Focal Ti tweeter is one of the best I have ever heard. From top to bottom I could never fault the Maxx3.
I never found anything wrong with it either, despite many saying it was too bright or whatever. I really liked it in my Sasha.

However, when I upgraded to the Sasha 2, it was clear to me that the silk dome was a better sounding design because of the way it blended with the midrange.

As to whether the WP7 is a viable speaker, I haven't heard one but I agree with the notion that if you might always wonder "what if" about the Sabrina or other models. Old speakers can still sound good but technology and innovation are marching on.