AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 06-19-2018, 03:19 AM

MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: It’s All About System Resolution - Hi Res vs Redbook

June 2018

I am not sure if you know Mark Weldrep of AIX Records. He has a blog regarding “TRUE" High-Res music recorded and mixed in 24-96. He has serious concerns about all the so called High-Res disks sold based on Low-Res masters from the good old days.

Well a few days ago he put out a challenge to see if a 100 or more people would participate in a blind test to see if they could discriminate between the 24-96 and the CD 16-44 standard. It was not easy because the files were extremely well recorded and sounded just fine in both formats.

High- Res might be:
Tune 1
Tune 2
Tune 3
Tune 4
Tune 5
Tune 6

It seems I accurately achieved 5 out of the 6 correct. Which apparently was very unusual. Mark wanted to know how I did it, (see answer below). Basically I attribute it to the excellent Bryston Active System and the flexibility of the Bryston BDP Digital Player.

“Hi Mark

I was using a Bryston Digital Player and the new Bryston Active Model T speaker setup.

It is the best sound I have ever known irrespective of price. Primarily because it is truly phase aligned with a DSP. It rivals the punch of Dynamic speaker with the highs and sound stage of Electrostatic.

I was listening mostly for the high frequencies like cymbals and percussion. Female voice had more “depth” and “complexity”.

Cheers
Drew”

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 06-19-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 PM

SUBJECT: James Hayward Visit To The Bryston Demo Rooms

July 2018

“Good morning James:

Listening to the three Bryston demo systems on Saturday was a very interesting and enjoyable experience.

I would summarize my overall listening impression this way. Each of those systems demonstrated state-of-the-art performance for a significantly different set of price points.

The little Mini A speaker did an excellent job of imaging and had an impressive depth of field. With its obvious limitations in output at extremely low frequencies, it still did an admirable job of accurately producing lower midrange and bass information with minimal exaggeration of enclosure and driver resonances.

The Middle T Active system is very easy to listen to. Its increased dynamic range, extended lower frequency response, increased clarity in the lower midrange bring an ease to the listening experience.

The Model T Active is clearly my favourite system.
It does everything right and with total ease! I can listen to it for hours as it uncovers amazing musical detail let effortlessly reproduces bass and lower midrange without any hint of exaggeration in both dynamic range and frequency response.

Thanks, James, for the great time.”

Best regards,
James H.

Jim Hayward is an electronic technologist, pianist and a perfectionist whose deep love of music put him on a lifelong quest to accurately capture the reality of treasured musical performances. After a 28 year career managing high tech engineering and operations groups in Bell Canada, he taught electronics and supervised student designed audio projects at Radio College of Canada for 10 years. He was Chairman of the Toronto Section of the Audio Engineering Society in 2000/2001 and has been an active executive member for 24 years. As a contributing editor to Andrew Marshall’s Audio Ideas Guide, he wrote three feature articles on the electrical characteristics of cables and their relevance to audio performance. He also wrote a feature article for the Bryston Newsletter, Volume 5, Issue 2, on the characteristic impedance of cables highlighting its relevance in the professional audio world.

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 08-06-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:27 PM

SUBJECT: Bryston Middle T Active Speaker Setup Demo

August 2018

Hi Folks,

Please see link below regarding a demonstration at one of our premium dealers on the Bryston Middle T Active speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkWrx_xJ6gk&t=6s
Old 08-16-2018, 03:59 PM

Nice video James. Now I understand active speakers. I was wondering if active speakers would work on a surround system like the SP3. Would only the left and right speakers become active? Or can all speakers in a surround system become active?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
Nice video James. Now I understand active speakers. I was wondering if active speakers would work on a surround system like the SP3. Would only the left and right speakers become active? Or can all speakers in a surround system become active?
All can be active but that gets really complicated and most of the benefit would come from active left and right front speakers.

james
Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tanner - Bryston View Post
All can be active but that gets really complicated and most of the benefit would come from active left and right front speakers.

james
Thanks. This makes sense too. However, when I need to replace my speakers, I will get Bryston's speakers knowing that for two channel you can bypass its crossover and use the crossover on the outboard unit. This is a nice design feature. By the way, I am still enjoying my SP3. I wish you could have Kal Rubinson to review the updated SP3 to hear how it compares to these recent processors. I bet the SP3 is still on top of its game even without room correction.

Last edited by gbaby; 08-17-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:09 PM

Hi Folks,

Just got a copy of a new review from Soundstage Magazine due out next week on the Active Middle T's.

Will post when available.

james
Old 12-01-2018, 09:34 AM

SUBJECT: Bryston Active Middle T’s – Soundstage Review

Hi Folks,

Please see below the link to a very extensive and thorough review of the Bryston ‘MIDDLE T ACTIVE SYSTEM’ from Soundstage Magazine.

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index...speaker-system

Favourite Quotes:

“No matter what I listened to, the Bryston system always sounded bigger and more dynamic than I thought it would. Its clarity and precision even rivaled that of my reference MartinLogan Masterpiece Classic ESL-9 speaker hybrid electrostatics recognized for their fast, detailed sound.”

“If you’re willing to try active speakers, give the Brystons a listen. Even if you aren’t, you should hear them, to find out what kind of sound is possible from today’s powered speakers.”

“With the Bryston Middle T Active system, everything sounded perfectly balanced, the dialog and effects precisely tracking their apparent visual sources onscreen. The experience was so involving that I felt as if I were sitting in the mixing studio.”

Roger Kanno