AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 03-12-2019, 03:37 PM

Default The Aidas of March all over again

I've been in love with Sonus Faber loudspeakers for a long time.

I fell in love with Italian design and craftsmanship many years ago when I had the good fortune to live in Italy for three years. One can't help but gain a deep appreciation of Italian art and architecture when living and working in the land that gave birth to Michelangelo and Leonardo DaVinci, where the town of Cremona is famous for that epitome of musical instruments, the Stradivarius violin, where Rossini and Verdi, Donizetti and Puccini wrote some of the most enduring music of the classical world. Where Ferrari has a justifiable claim as the pinnacle of automotive achievement.

And Sonus Faber reigns supreme as the most beautiful sounding and finished speakers in the world.

Until now I had to content myself with brief indulgences at audio shows and too short visits at dealers' showrooms. I was lucky enough to hear Sonus Faber's penultimate model, the Aida, on annual visits to Scottsdale AZ over the years. I was struck by the lightning bolt, but a new pair was always out of reach. I had to make do with virtually feasting on Ivan's beautiful eye-candy in his original Aidas of March thread.

However, yesterday a dream came true.

I found a pair of Aidas from a reliable seller based in the UK and after some back and forth, made an offer that was accepted. Serendipitous in that he had shipped a large pair of speakers to the Seattle area two years before, he was able to recommend a reliable Customs clearance agent to expedite them into the US port of entry and make sure they were trans-shipped to my home.

Yesterday after an interminable weekend in my garage, my Aidas were finally set up in my living room and I spent a ten-hour marathon luxuriating in the most beautiful music I've ever had in my home in the nearly fifty years of my love affair with music.

Here are the first set of pictures:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Arrival1.jpg (97.0 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg Arrival2.jpg (90.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Arrival3.jpg (89.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Step2a.jpg (93.2 KB, 156 views)
Teres turntable, VPI rim-drive, SDS, JMW 12.5 arms, Dynavector XV1-S & Helikon mono; Zenith STD MK 2, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP-21 reference clock, Playback Designs Pinot ADC.

D’Agostino Momentum S250 amp, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono, Sonus Faber Aidas in gorgeous graphite. Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Sigma NR, Alpha NR cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Ultras . . . and music!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Default More pictures

Second set:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Garage2b.jpg (92.6 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Step2d.jpg (96.6 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Step2f.jpg (95.0 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg Step2g.jpg (95.8 KB, 263 views)
Teres turntable, VPI rim-drive, SDS, JMW 12.5 arms, Dynavector XV1-S & Helikon mono; Zenith STD MK 2, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP-21 reference clock, Playback Designs Pinot ADC.

D’Agostino Momentum S250 amp, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono, Sonus Faber Aidas in gorgeous graphite. Shunyata Triton v3 & Typhon QR, Sigma NR, Alpha NR cords and cables, Stillpoints ESS grid system rack, Ultras . . . and music!

Last edited by Masterlu; 03-12-2019 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo
Old 03-12-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Third batch of Aida pictures (the good stuff!)

Inside at last:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Inside1.jpg (88.8 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Inside3.jpg (87.5 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg Inside3a.jpg (91.5 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Inside6.jpg (93.9 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg Inside7.jpg (79.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg Inside4.jpg (97.4 KB, 305 views)

Last edited by Masterlu; 03-12-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM

Wonderfull, what a great system and what great speakers. How large is the room?

Enjoy
Old 03-12-2019, 04:11 PM

That is one beautiful setup. One can only hope that they sound as wonderful as they look. Congrats on the new speakers!

Headphone rig: Matrix Audio Element X, Focal Utopia
2-Channel setup: Matrix Audio Element X, Esoteric A-02, Wilson Sabrinas
Old 03-12-2019, 04:12 PM

They look great. Congratulations
Old 03-12-2019, 04:22 PM

Congrats!!!
Speakers - Martin Logan Expression 13A, Martin Logan Balanced Force 212 sub.
Cables and Accessories - WireWorld Eclipse 7 Speaker Cables. WireWorld & Nordost Interconnects. GIK Acoustics Soffit traps, Q7D Diffusors, 244 as cloud traps. Furutech GTX-D NCF Rhodium Outlets (x2), PS Audio P10 Power Regenerator(x2) Shunyata and WireWorld Power cords. HRS S3 Isolation platforms (x3).
Old 03-12-2019, 05:14 PM
It is turned down!!!!

Congratulations. A beautiful speaker. Once you have insured you have located the proper position you are going to be a happy listener.

AMP's: Momentum M-400's
Pre-amp: D'Agostino Momentum HD
Digital:dCS Vivaldi DAC, Clock & Upsampler
Analog:SME 20/3 , Esoteric E-03, Benz Ruby
Speakers: Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2
Cables: Transparent Opus Speaker & Interconnects & Power Cords
Cables on Digital Shunyata
Old 03-12-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soastrup View Post
Wonderfull, what a great system and what great speakers. How large is the room?

Enjoy
Thanks for the kind words.

The volume they play into is somewhat irregular shaped, I guess I'd call it a semi-open plan first floor. The nominal living room is 14' X 27' with the Aidas facing down the length of the room. You can see the bay behind the equipment rack, which adds a bit to the overall length. Ceilings are 10'. The back of the living room opens into a large kitchen and dining area.

The left side of the front half of the living room, to the outside of the left speaker is an open entry foyer 17' X 9' X 21', and out of this area are two large open halls to other parts of the ground floor. There is an open staircase to the second level from the foyer, with a balcony and an open hallway to the bedrooms upstairs. So quite a large volume.

I put a GIK Acoustics folding acoustic screen to the outside of the left speaker so that it sees a similar acoustic as the right speaker which is closer to a wall and also has an acoustic panel to the outside. In practice, there is no pulling of the center image and central sounds are firmly centered between the two speakers. The speakers are 9' apart from center to center.

Thank you for your interest.

Steve Z

Old 03-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVass13 View Post
That is one beautiful setup. One can only hope that they sound as wonderful as they look. Congrats on the new speakers!
Thank you very much. They sound amazing, and I'm sure will only get better as I fine tune the positioning and the speaker controls a bit.

Steve Z