AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Integrated

Integrated All in one, Still in Style

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-11-2018, 04:14 PM
bart's Avatar
bart bart is online now
Life is beautiful


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 15,157
Default

Poncha, welcome to AudioAficionado!

__________________
Stereo: Hegel H590, Burmester 061 - 931 - 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld SE & E
In storage: Halgorythme amplifiers
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-11-2018, 05:05 PM
Masterlu's Avatar
Masterlu Masterlu is online now
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: South FL & Cape Cod MA
Posts: 70,266
Default

Poncha... Welcome to AA!
__________________
Ivan
FLORIDA
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A250 AMPS, C3850 PRE-AMP, DP950 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC950 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-58 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO, FORTRESS SEATING, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1/D1 STACK, G01X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1 CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Bryston/Esoteric System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WIREWORLD PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E650 INTEGRATED, DP560 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WIREWORLD GOLD CABLES
Bryston Active System: BP26 PRE-AMP, MPS2 POWER SUPPLY, BAX-1 CROSSOVER, BDA-3 DAC, BDP-3 PLAYER, BCD-3 CD PLAYER, BIT15(2), MODEL T ACTIVE SPEAKERS, 21B3 CUBED AMPS, SILENZIO, TARGET RACK, WIREWORLD SILVER CABLES
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:12 PM
GreginNH1's Avatar
GreginNH1 GreginNH1 is online now
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 1,588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
The MA252 does seem pretty intriguing.

Any AA’ers have experience with the McIntosh MA252 that have also heard the Peachtree or PrimaLuna as well?

I have the PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium integrated at home and the MC252 at the office. It would be a really tough call to pick a definite winner. The PL has a better build quality and is all tube. The McIntosh is a hybrid with more power. It also has a headphone jack, balance and tone controls and a MM phono stage. Both have a warm, rich sound. The PL of course, has the tube magic and it pucnches well above its weight class.

Both are significantly better than the Peachtree.

Good luck!
__________________
Audio Room: Gato PRD-3S NPM, Gato PWR-222 Monoblocks, Luxman D-05U, Luxman PD-171A TT, Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversary, Accousound Silver XD speaker cables, Tellurium Q Black Diamond interconnects, Shunyata Sigma USB Cable, Audioquest Hurricane PCs, Audioquest Niagara 5000, Shunyata Denali T6000,CORE Design racks, Stein Harmonizers, HRS damping plates, Stillpoints and all that other silly stuff.

Office: Hattor 500, Diapason Neos speakers, Bluesound Node 2, Nordost Frey 2 Interconnects, Tellurium Q Silver speaker cables,
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:03 AM
ChrisAZ's Avatar
ChrisAZ ChrisAZ is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Front Range, CO
Posts: 717
Default

+1 for PrimaLuna
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-14-2018, 10:48 AM
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 19,524
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
The MA252 does seem pretty intriguing.

Any AA’ers have experience with the McIntosh MA252 that have also heard the Peachtree or PrimaLuna as well?
I have heard all three, own PrimaLuna HP and had the Peachtree for a few days on loan. The Peachtree is not bad but definitely not in the same league as the PrimaLuna or McIntosh. Choosing between the PrimaLuna and McIntosh is personal preference, to my ears the PrimaLuna Dialogue HP is the winner.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Mikado463's Avatar
Mikado463 Mikado463 is online now
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SE Pa
Posts: 3,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
Rouge Audio
I ment to add the model ........

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_sphinx.htm
__________________
Cheers .......Dave
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 AM
Grasshopper's Avatar
Grasshopper Grasshopper is offline
Aspiring Audiophile
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My House
Posts: 770
Default

OK, so I went rogue and bought a larger form factor integrated. I picked up a Mcintosh MAC6700 integrated for the Sonus Fabers in my 3rd system. Looks like old habits die hard!!!

Hopefully Mcintosh will start producing smaller form factor integrateds in the future - - -this thing is enormous.
__________________
Main > MacMini > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Mcintosh D100 > Kimber Hero Balanced > Mcintosh C2300 > Mcintosh MEN220 > PS Audio P10 > Mcintosh MC402 > Audio Envy /Wireworld > B&W Signature 800's/Pair of JL F113's and Earthquake Supernova MKV 15" Subwoofer (HT) > B&W Signature HTM > Onkyo TX-SR876

Secondary System > MacMini > Wireworld USB > Mcintosh MAC6700 > Wireworld > Sonus Faber Cremona
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:52 PM
Grasshopper's Avatar
Grasshopper Grasshopper is offline
Aspiring Audiophile
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My House
Posts: 770
Default

Dan,

I just read through your review and the thread for the Yggdrasil.

I must say that I am impressed with your words, and intrigued at the product.

I had borrowed a friend’s Peachtree Nova300 in my system before I ultimately picked up my McIntosh MAC6700 for my living room system.

I was shocked at the difference a DAC makes as they are both a very different presentation.

The McIntosh has a very familiar sound to my main rig which has a D100 run off a Mac mini into a c2300 > mc402 > b&w signature 800s.

I used to have a Wyred4Sound Dac2 (non-se version). In fact, I think I might have owned your old one, as I bought it from Maks here on AA a few years ago (and I thought he bought it from you). In either case, I know you are familiar with the DAC2.

When I compared the W4S dac2 with my D100, I noted the w4s had a much wider soundstage. It also seemed more detailed but the trade off was it rendered a little brighter than the d100. The d100 is super easy to listen to and tends to smooth everything out (at the expense of some detail). I do miss the larger soundstage sometimes, but I have a major sensitivity to brightness.

My question is what would you expect I’d hear in my setup with a Yggdrasil streaming tidal/Audirvana off of a Mac mini into the c2300, vs my existing d100? (I’d also bring it upstairs once in a while as the DAC for my mac6700 for fun).

What would I expect in that scenario (contrasted with something like the d100 and an older dac2)?

Thanks in advance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jason.......You may want to consider PrimaLuna. Check out my PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Integrated Amplifier Review. Great price point, solid build quality, and excellent sound.

Also check out my Schiit Audio Yggdrasil Review. A PrimaLuna ProLogue integrated amplifier and Yggdrasil DAC will deliver first rate audio for less than $5K total.
__________________
Main > MacMini > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Mcintosh D100 > Kimber Hero Balanced > Mcintosh C2300 > Mcintosh MEN220 > PS Audio P10 > Mcintosh MC402 > Audio Envy /Wireworld > B&W Signature 800's/Pair of JL F113's and Earthquake Supernova MKV 15" Subwoofer (HT) > B&W Signature HTM > Onkyo TX-SR876

Secondary System > MacMini > Wireworld USB > Mcintosh MAC6700 > Wireworld > Sonus Faber Cremona
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-03-2018, 10:24 AM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is online now
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 52,953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Dan,

I just read through your review and the thread for the Yggdrasil.

I must say that I am impressed with your words, and intrigued at the product.

I had borrowed a friend’s Peachtree Nova300 in my system before I ultimately picked up my McIntosh MAC6700 for my living room system.

I was shocked at the difference a DAC makes as they are both a very different presentation.

The McIntosh has a very familiar sound to my main rig which has a D100 run off a Mac mini into a c2300 > mc402 > b&w signature 800s.

I used to have a Wyred4Sound Dac2 (non-se version). In fact, I think I might have owned your old one, as I bought it from Maks here on AA a few years ago (and I thought he bought it from you). In either case, I know you are familiar with the DAC2.

When I compared the W4S dac2 with my D100, I noted the w4s had a much wider soundstage. It also seemed more detailed but the trade off was it rendered a little brighter than the d100. The d100 is super easy to listen to and tends to smooth everything out (at the expense of some detail). I do miss the larger soundstage sometimes, but I have a major sensitivity to brightness.

My question is what would you expect I’d hear in my setup with a Yggdrasil streaming tidal/Audirvana off of a Mac mini into the c2300, vs my existing d100? (I’d also bring it upstairs once in a while as the DAC for my mac6700 for fun).

What would I expect in that scenario (contrasted with something like the d100 and an older dac2)?

Thanks in advance.
Jason.......The McIntosh D100 and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 both employ delta-sigma DAC's. Neither of them are unpleasant to hear. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil employs precision multi-bit ladder DAC's and Mike Moffat's well designed Closed-Form Digital Filter, a time and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution for bit-perfect conversion. The Yggdrasil is an entirely different approach to digital to analog conversion than the delta-sigma concept. The absolute bit perfect conversion creates a very realistic and pleasing to my ears reproduction of musical instruments and voices that transcends nearly all delta-sigma designs that I have experience with. The Yggdrasil DAC preserves the original samples all the way through from input to output.

As for streaming Tidal with Audirvana through a Mac mini I would suspect the Yggy to deliver a very convincing performance that will have you favoring the Yggdrasil over your other DAC's, but using the Mac mini, although a decent server rig, it is not delivering a premium level presentation. A true dedicated, purpose built music server will up your performance bar substantially.

Something else to consider is the modularity of the Yggdrasil DAC. The newest Analog 2 with Gen 5 USB version of the Yggdrasil DAC can be installed in all older Yggdrasil DAC's, thus allowing owners to remain at the leading edge of Schiit Audio's hardware and software updates. This will remain true for future updates if and when they may become available. In other words, you will never be stuck with a Yggdrasil DAC that has become obsolete.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. The new Yggdrasil DAC is an amazing D/A converter. It's sound is worth far more than it's price. Once you hear the Yggdrasil in your system I would be very surprised if your general impressions did not parallel mine.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 06-03-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-03-2018, 11:03 AM
Grasshopper's Avatar
Grasshopper Grasshopper is offline
Aspiring Audiophile
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: My House
Posts: 770
Default

Thank you Dan! You are awesome.

I’m excited to try one out for sure.

One more question, from what I read, the Gungnir Multibit “Gumby” when compared with the Yggdrasil comes pretty close.

Most accounts say the Gumby is a warmer presentation and perhaps a smoother one as well (where the Yggdrasil is certainly more detailed). I’ve read that the Gumby is about 90% sound wise of the Gumby (and even in a blind test many skeptics preferred the Gumby).

Do you have experience in the Gumby vs Yggy sound?

For me, the cost isn’t a consideration when both are great prices. I do tend to prefer a little smooth edge to my music (and even with all the detail of the DAC2 felt fatigue with that DAC.) I also like a slightly wider and deeper soundstage.

Your description gives me a lot of hope that there’s a Schiit DAC in my future.

I’m now debating which Schiit will give me the sound I’d prefer.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Jason.......The McIntosh D100 and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 both employ delta-sigma DAC's. Neither of them are unpleasant to hear. The Schiit Audio Yggdrasil employs precision multi-bit ladder DAC's and Mike Moffat's well designed Closed-Form Digital Filter, a time and frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution for bit-perfect conversion. The Yggdrasil is an entirely different approach to digital to analog conversion than the delta-sigma concept. The absolute bit perfect conversion creates a very realistic and pleasing to my ears reproduction of musical instruments and voices that transcends nearly all delta-sigma designs that I have experience with. The Yggdrasil DAC preserves the original samples all the way through from input to output.

As for streaming Tidal with Audirvana through a Mac mini I would suspect the Yggy to deliver a very convincing performance that will have you favoring the Yggdrasil over your other DAC's, but using the Mac mini, although a decent server rig, it is not delivering a premium level presentation. A true dedicated, purpose built music server will up your performance bar substantially.

Something else to consider is the modularity of the Yggdrasil DAC. The newest Analog 2 with Gen 5 USB version of the Yggdrasil DAC can be installed in all older Yggdrasil DAC's, thus allowing owners to remain at the leading edge of Schiit Audio's hardware and software updates. This will remain true for future updates if and when they may become available. In other words, you will never be stuck with a Yggdrasil DAC that has become obsolete.

I hope this helps clarify your questions. The new Yggdrasil DAC is an amazing D/A converter. It's sound is worth far more than it's price. Once you hear the Yggdrasil in your system I would be very surprised if your general impressions did not parallel mine.
__________________
Main > MacMini > AudioQuest Carbon USB > Mcintosh D100 > Kimber Hero Balanced > Mcintosh C2300 > Mcintosh MEN220 > PS Audio P10 > Mcintosh MC402 > Audio Envy /Wireworld > B&W Signature 800's/Pair of JL F113's and Earthquake Supernova MKV 15" Subwoofer (HT) > B&W Signature HTM > Onkyo TX-SR876

Secondary System > MacMini > Wireworld USB > Mcintosh MAC6700 > Wireworld > Sonus Faber Cremona
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase