AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:47 AM
kevzep's Avatar
kevzep kevzep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Auckland New Zealand, way down in the South Pacific
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

I see the RS232 port on the rear apron. This is most likely where the software is initially downloaded to the preamp and where software updates would be downloaded to the preamp. I remember having to update my MR88 tuner software via its RS232 port. I had to use an old Windows XP laptop to get it done. Lucky for me I still have an XP laptop in the closet with an RS232 port and a couple old cables still hanging around.
I would assume this is the same as the C48/50.

The RS232 port is not where the updates are loaded onto the pre-amp....

Its all done though the USB using a updater program you have to get from McIntosh, which also has the firmware/USB audio update within it...
Two different applications are used, one for firmware and one for USB audio.

You also have to assess a particular part of the menu in the pre-amp to perform this operation.

It is all designed now to work with Windows 7.

I have done firmware and USB audio updates on my C48, its pretty straight forward, but McIntosh recommend having a dealer do it, they only helped me out because I am way down in New Zealand with no dealer, I had Mike from AC put me in touch with Mr Hinton at McIntosh, he explained there would be no accountability on McIntosh's part if I stuffed it up.....
If you make a mistake with the firmware, or you lose power during the process, you can brick the unit (turn it into a doorstop)....Which is why its not really a user operation.
As part of my job as an audio systems engineer, I am used to doing this sort of thing, so I was comfortable doing it.....

In the case of this C2500, I would be doing a factory reset on it.....Has this been done?
This is the first thing I would try, maybe during the brownout somehow during the boot up cycle the unit corrupted itself, this would be remedied by a factory reset....

There is no state that the pre-amp could go into where it is looking for an update or anything like that.....
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
His McIntosh MC452, C48, MEN220, MR78, Tascam 122MKII Cassette, Crown Macrotech 5002VZ, Thorens TD125 MK2/SME3009, L'acoustics 8xTi (coaxial) SB115 (subs).
Hers McIntosh MC2205, C40, MR80, JBL L7, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC 1.0.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-05-2014, 12:49 AM
kevzep's Avatar
kevzep kevzep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Auckland New Zealand, way down in the South Pacific
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427 View Post
We need smart preamps

Yeah at this point it's best to bring it in for service. There could be another problem you may never detect. I am amazed at how may power serges I am reading on this site and it always seems to be McItosh taking the hit and not coming out alive.
Thats why my whole system runs through an online UPS........
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
His McIntosh MC452, C48, MEN220, MR78, Tascam 122MKII Cassette, Crown Macrotech 5002VZ, Thorens TD125 MK2/SME3009, L'acoustics 8xTi (coaxial) SB115 (subs).
Hers McIntosh MC2205, C40, MR80, JBL L7, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC 1.0.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:01 AM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 53,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevzep View Post
I would assume this is the same as the C48/50.

The RS232 port is not where the updates are loaded onto the pre-amp....

Its all done though the USB using a updater program you have to get from McIntosh, which also has the firmware/USB audio update within it...
Two different applications are used, one for firmware and one for USB audio.

You also have to assess a particular part of the menu in the pre-amp to perform this operation.

It is all designed now to work with Windows 7.

I have done firmware and USB audio updates on my C48, its pretty straight forward, but McIntosh recommend having a dealer do it, they only helped me out because I am way down in New Zealand with no dealer, I had Mike from AC put me in touch with Mr Hinton at McIntosh, he explained there would be no accountability on McIntosh's part if I stuffed it up.....
If you make a mistake with the firmware, or you lose power during the process, you can brick the unit (turn it into a doorstop)....Which is why its not really a user operation.
As part of my job as an audio systems engineer, I am used to doing this sort of thing, so I was comfortable doing it.....

In the case of this C2500, I would be doing a factory reset on it.....Has this been done?
This is the first thing I would try, maybe during the brownout somehow during the boot up cycle the unit corrupted itself, this would be remedied by a factory reset....

There is no state that the pre-amp could go into where it is looking for an update or anything like that.....
kevzep.......Thank you for the clarification on the firmware download process via USB.

I see in the manual that the Factory Rest is different from the Microprocessor Reset. Hopefully Brian will give the Factory Reset a try. That may do the trick.
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 PM
briebert briebert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 17
Default

Fellas, tried the factory reset as well to no avail. I'm gonna take it in to my Dealer here in Portland, OR to look at. Appreciate it everyone!

Brian Ebert
__________________
Brian Ebert
Mcintosh C2500 Tube Preamp
Mcintosh MC275 Tube Amp
Mcintosh MT5 Turntable
Dynaudio Focus 160 Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM
kevzep's Avatar
kevzep kevzep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Auckland New Zealand, way down in the South Pacific
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briebert View Post
Fellas, tried the factory reset as well to no avail. I'm gonna take it in to my Dealer here in Portland, OR to look at. Appreciate it everyone!

Brian Ebert
Thats a shame it didn't work....

I would say the next step is reload the firmware, its probably corrupted itself with the brownout.....

Off to the dealer then, if you are lucky, they should be able to reload the firmware while you wait, it doesn't take that long....
If that doesn't work then it will off to the McIntosh factory......
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
His McIntosh MC452, C48, MEN220, MR78, Tascam 122MKII Cassette, Crown Macrotech 5002VZ, Thorens TD125 MK2/SME3009, L'acoustics 8xTi (coaxial) SB115 (subs).
Hers McIntosh MC2205, C40, MR80, JBL L7, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC 1.0.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-05-2014, 10:41 PM
mwjw mwjw is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 99
Default

If you accidentally enter software update mode the unit will wait forever for a USB connection and an update. I have seen this 4 times now. The unit appears to be stuck in standby.

Last edited by mwjw; 08-05-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2014, 02:03 AM
briebert briebert is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 17
Default

Hey Fellas, just an update. My dealer here in Portland, OR and I worked at length with Chuck at Mcintosh and he came to the conclusion that the Preamp is dust and they are going to send out a brand new one to us with an apology for my trouble. Fantastic service! The "phantom update" would not even work when they tried to force it. Thanks for all the ideas! John at Pearl Audio leant me a nice Preamp to get me through the next week or two.
__________________
Brian Ebert
Mcintosh C2500 Tube Preamp
Mcintosh MC275 Tube Amp
Mcintosh MT5 Turntable
Dynaudio Focus 160 Speakers
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-08-2014, 07:51 AM
jdandy's Avatar
jdandy jdandy is offline
Merry Christmas to all



 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 53,197
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briebert View Post
Hey Fellas, just an update. My dealer here in Portland, OR and I worked at length with Chuck at Mcintosh and he came to the conclusion that the Preamp is dust and they are going to send out a brand new one to us with an apology for my trouble. Fantastic service! The "phantom update" would not even work when they tried to force it. Thanks for all the ideas! John at Pearl Audio leant me a nice Preamp to get me through the next week or two.
Brian.......Sounds like McIntosh and Pearl Audio are making you whole again. You can't ask for better customer service than that. .
__________________
Dan



STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-08-2014, 11:57 PM
kevzep's Avatar
kevzep kevzep is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Auckland New Zealand, way down in the South Pacific
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by briebert View Post
Hey Fellas, just an update. My dealer here in Portland, OR and I worked at length with Chuck at Mcintosh and he came to the conclusion that the Preamp is dust and they are going to send out a brand new one to us with an apology for my trouble. Fantastic service! The "phantom update" would not even work when they tried to force it. Thanks for all the ideas! John at Pearl Audio leant me a nice Preamp to get me through the next week or two.
Thats great news, the dealer is looking after you, a new C2500 is on the way.....thats something to look forward to....
I have had dealings with Chuck, he's great bloke......very helpful....
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
His McIntosh MC452, C48, MEN220, MR78, Tascam 122MKII Cassette, Crown Macrotech 5002VZ, Thorens TD125 MK2/SME3009, L'acoustics 8xTi (coaxial) SB115 (subs).
Hers McIntosh MC2205, C40, MR80, JBL L7, Macbook Pro, Benchmark DAC 1.0.

Last edited by kevzep; 08-09-2014 at 03:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-09-2014, 12:25 AM
427's Avatar
427 427 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,120
Default

Wow Cool beans

Maybe they can pesonalize it for you to? a little gold leaf goes a long ways
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
McIntosh C100, MC275 Mk VI x2, MC 501, D100, Marantz PMD580,
SOTA Black Star Sapphire x3, SME Series V, 309,3009,Sumiko Blackbirds & EVO III,
Coph Nia Stage x1, SOTA Head Amps X3,
IMF RSPM Mk. IV, JBL L250, Martin Logan Sequell II
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:06 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2019 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase