AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Classe' Audio

Classe' Audio Uncompromising Audio

Old 01-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Listener in Training

This conversation is proof to me that you can make a good system sound bad, or suboptimal, but a poor system will only be helped so much by a well-done setup. On top of that, of course, hearing will vary.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 PM

I guess the reason I prefer McIntosh amps over other's are for the aesthetic look and sound quality. I do enjoy looking at the display as much as hearing the sound. The Classe looks plain to me along with Rotel, Krell, etc. There all great amps but when it looks like a big square box with a single power button. IMO, It's kinda plain. At least with the Mac's I have something to look at. While my friends opinion say's they look old and he hates the meters. He's a Rotel & Classe fan. He own's Klipsch speakers and prefers the Classe sound. As I told him, there are many manufacturers to choose from just for that reason. Some people prefer the plain look. (lack of better word) He does push it in my face that he paid less for his amps and SSP600. The NEW Classe amps look nice, I'll have to give them a fair listening too, although it's going to be hard to beat my 501's and MX-136. I believe Classe has a new lineup to replace the SSP800.The new CT SSP. Not sure of the price point though.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 PM

I dont think the CT replaces the Delta series. I may be wrong but I think they mate with the CT Series of B&W, and are optimized for custom and hidden installs.

Here is an interesting review that compares the 501s and the CAM-400...
http://www.avguide.com/comparative-r...wer-amplifiers
Old 01-12-2010, 01:23 AM

The SSP 800 is new, just came out last year, the CT 800 is exactly the same except for the outside box, and as mentioned it is designed for a rack.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:09 AM

Correct.

Ps...how do you like your SSP800? I am considering picking one up. Did you ever have the 600?
Old 01-12-2010, 10:56 PM

I didn't have a 600, though I listened to one in the store a few times. I luv it, I cannot get over the musicality of it, the built in DACs are superb, I run my computer straight into it and it sounds superb...lots of soundstage, detail without any harshness.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I visited my dealer today. He's trying to convince me to buy ALL Classe amps with my B&W speakers, stating they will sound better together since they were made my the same company, tested and meant to work with each other as the best amp and speaker combo. Anyone else buying into this story. I have seen B&W use Classe with there speakers. If I remember correctly B&W and Classe along with Rotel are owned by the same company. (I could be wrong) but to say so say Classe will give you the best performance, im not too sure about that. I am very happy with my McIntosh Amps. I guess I would like to A/B them together. Cost wise they are about the same but I wonder how they compete quality wise. I never had the opportunity to test them. Anyone have any experience or opinions?
If you made Classe and B&W, what would you tell your reps to sell customers?

I had Classe and 501 on B$W800D. Nice amp those Classe. Good sound all around. They make some really cool audible clicks when you turn them on.

Fairly smooth highs and reasonable detail perhaps a bit forward for my laid musical taste. Bass sounds funny to me. Less controlled even colorized.

The 501's were another story. If there is such a thing as analog sound, the Macs delivered it. Drop dead gorgeous mids, musical highs and much more natural bass. Life like vs good audio gear if you know what I mean.

Mac amps get my vote no question.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:44 PM

Sorry I realize this is an old posting but thought I'd chime in. I use to own a pair of b&w 801 series two and I'd tried at least 10 if not 15 power amps on them. The Classe Audio CA-400 was very hard to beat. It seemed like a perfect combination. I also had a CA-301 on them for a while sounded very good too.

Where other amps fell short is I like to crank it up and the big Classe amps provide a lot of current as well as good grip on the woofers thus provide very nice tight solid bass response where many other amps wimped out.

I never owned a McIntosh power amp so I can't make the comparison to their amp.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
If you made Classe and B&W, what would you tell your reps to sell customers?

I had Classe and 501 on B$W800D. Nice amp those Classe. Good sound all around. They make some really cool audible clicks when you turn them on.

Fairly smooth highs and reasonable detail perhaps a bit forward for my laid musical taste. Bass sounds funny to me. Less controlled even colorized.

The 501's were another story. If there is such a thing as analog sound, the Macs delivered it. Drop dead gorgeous mids, musical highs and much more natural bass. Life like vs good audio gear if you know what I mean.

Mac amps get my vote no question.
Humm the part about the bass doesn't sound right to me. I've owned four Classe Audio power amps and felt they all excelled in exerting control over woofers.

For years the amp to beat on bass was the Krell KSA-250 and I felt my Classe Audio CA-400 beat it driving my 2 ohm home built subwoofers.

True when you get down to the lower powered Classe amps they won't do as well but that should be expected as bass generally requires a lot of current.