AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > B&W Speakers

B&W Speakers Bowers & Wilkins Greatest

Old 09-14-2013, 11:44 AM

Default Spiking 802D

Hi,

I am entertaining a pair of 802D in my house. (They sound great!).
They arrived on roller-ball castors and currently sit on small pieces of carpet remnants on my hardwood floors.

If I keep them, I would like to replace the rollers with the spikes which came with them and rest the spikes on metal coasters which would protect the hardwood floors. To do that I can turn the speakers on their sides and replace the rollers with the spikes. My question is, how do you then turn the speakers upright again with spikes on and then line them up onto the coasters?

-Adam
Old 09-14-2013, 06:20 PM

I have not done this yet, but plan to do similar with my 800's when I move. The weight of the 800's is pushing towards high 200's lbs - not looking forward to it.

Here's my plan:

1. Installation - not sure about 802's, but the 800's have to be laid on their sides to be taken out of the shipping boxes anyway, so that's definitely the time to install the spikes. You'll want to lay them down on a large soft cushoined surface (thick blankets, foam, etc.)

2. Cups for the spikes - I posted on this previously, and there are a number of suggested options for these to cradle the spikes in a metal cup built into something that will protect your floors. Personally, I will try to find something with a bottom that allows sliding the speakers to position them.

3. Lifting the beasts - that's the tricky part. Definitely will want 3 pairs of hands: 2 to lift, 1 to position the cups under the spikes. May fashion some type of sling to assist in lifting, as they are curved and smooth surfaces that are hard to grip...

Don't want to be dramatic, but packaging these, moving them myself, and unpacking was not a fun time. Should be easier next time now that I've done it, though. 802's should be considerably easier.

Cheers!

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lan; 09-14-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
I have not done this yet, but plan to do similar with my 800's when I move. The weight of the 800's is pushing towards high 200's lbs - not looking forward to it.

Here's my plan:

1. Installation - not sure about 802's, but the 800's have to be laid on their sides to be taken out of the shipping boxes anyway, so that's definitely the time to install the spikes. You'll want to lay them down on a large soft cushoined surface (thick blankets, foam, etc.)

2. Cups for the spikes - I posted on this previously, and there are a number of suggested options for these to cradle the spikes in a metal cup built into something that will protect your floors. Personally, I will try to find something with a bottom that allows sliding the speakers to position them.

3. Lifting the beasts - that's the tricky part. Definitely will want 3 pairs of hands: 2 to lift, 1 to position the cups under the spikes. May fashion some type of sling to assist in lifting, as they are curved and smooth surfaces that are hard to grip...

Don't want to be dramatic, but packaging these, moving them myself, and unpacking was not a fun time. Should be easier next time now that I've done it, though. 802's should be considerably easier.

Cheers!

Matt
That is the way I did it with my 802s. You need the extra pair of hands . Good luck! Love my 802Ds!
Ed
2 Channel - Esoteric KO3, VPI Classic, C2300, MS300, MEN220, Bryston 7b SST, B&W 802D, JL F113 (2), MDA 1000, Olive 4HD, Sonos w/Remedy, WW Silver Eclipse ICs , Stillpoints Ultra mini, MR85 tuner, Aurender A10 server

Headphone listening
- Audeze LCD3 with Moon Audio Black Dragon Balanced cables, Sennheiser HD650, WW silver Eclipse Nano cable, Bryston BHA-1 amp

HT -
MX135, OPPO 103D, B&W CDM7, B&W center, Sony 65" LCD
Old 09-14-2013, 09:01 PM

If I remember correctly my 802D manual indicated that it was no problem to hold onto the bowling ball head and lay it on its side. I just had my wife help be guide it down to the floor. The head did flex a bit but don't worry.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
If I remember correctly my 802D manual indicated that it was no problem to hold onto the bowling ball head and lay it on its side. I just had my wife help be guide it down to the floor. The head did flex a bit but don't worry.
I've never done it myself but that is what the manual says...

Old 09-14-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
I've never done it myself but that is what the manual says...

Thanks for adding the page from the manual. :thunbsup:
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Hand Truck

For both my old 802N's and my new 800D2's I use a hand truck to lay the speakers down. A cheap investment that gives you a lot of control when handling the speaker...
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 AM

Hello

I preferred to keep the roller-ball castors, to my 802 diamond.
With spikes, it could be extremely difficult to move the speakers around.

May these roller-ball castors, reduce significantly audio quality?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:53 PM

I can't imagine they sound dramatically different one way or the other, but perhaps someone with golden ears can shime in and confirm.

My ball feet are sitting in rubber teflon cups that allow them to be moved on the hardwood for now. I will need to find something with a similar "slidable" bottom to make the spikes work, if at all.

Best,

Matt
Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lane View Post
I can't imagine they sound dramatically different one way or the other, but perhaps someone with golden ears can shime in and confirm.

My ball feet are sitting in rubber teflon cups that allow them to be moved on the hardwood for now. I will need to find something with a similar "slidable" bottom to make the spikes work, if at all.

Best,

Matt
I bought Herbie's Audio Lab Giant Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders to decouple my speakers from a carpeted floor. The Gliders have a convex off-white polymer bottom that allow me to easily slide the speakers on the carpeting. They also improved the speakers' sound.

My speakers are much lighter than yours. You might want to ask Steve at Herbie's if the Gliders can handle your speakers' weight and still be able to slide on a wooden floor.

Herbie's Loudspeaker Feet