AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 01-17-2018, 04:34 PM
Retired

Default Bifrost multibit & FM Streaming

............ do I understand correctly that all I need to stream radio from my laptop is the Bifrost? Simply plug the Bifrost into the appropriate USB port on the laptop and assign the streaming FM signal to that port and away we go? Bifrost output to the preamp, of course.
Or, like most things in life, it is never that simple and I'll need some software to complete the deal?
Thanks.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-18-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
............ do I understand correctly that all I need to stream radio from my laptop is the Bifrost? Simply plug the Bifrost into the appropriate USB port on the laptop and assign the streaming FM signal to that port and away we go? Bifrost output to the preamp, of course.
Or, like most things in life, it is never that simple and I'll need some software to complete the deal?
Thanks.
If you can hear it on your computer speakers, then yes, it is that easy. I often route the audio in Windows10 to one of my DACs if I want to listen to anything on the computer through headphones.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:53 AM
Retired

Computer speakers? What's that....................?
I so rarely listen to anything via computer that I'd forgotten about their speakers and haven't hooked up the pair of HK computer speakers in many years. Guess I'll dig them out of the storage bin.

Anyway, back to the Schiit.
Now that I've gotten some 'run-time' on and have been very pleased with the Valhalla2 and have a Saga inbound, am starting to think DAC. Was thinking Bifrost multibit, but am wondering if starting with a Gungnir would be a step-up. Then Gumby, at some future date. I'm still very 'iffy' on how much of this 'digital stuff' I'll listen to, so wish to limit my up-front cost. Also, one of my primary reasons for the Bifrost is size, as it will be part of my 'travel kit' for listening while we are away.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Computer speakers? What's that....................?
I so rarely listen to anything via computer that I'd forgotten about their speakers and haven't hooked up the pair of HK computer speakers in many years. Guess I'll dig them out of the storage bin.

Anyway, back to the Schiit.
Now that I've gotten some 'run-time' on and have been very pleased with the Valhalla2 and have a Saga inbound, am starting to think DAC. Was thinking Bifrost multibit, but am wondering if starting with a Gungnir would be a step-up. Then Gumby, at some future date. I'm still very 'iffy' on how much of this 'digital stuff' I'll listen to, so wish to limit my up-front cost. Also, one of my primary reasons for the Bifrost is size, as it will be part of my 'travel kit' for listening while we are away.
My reply was to to your original question how to hook up a DAC to a computer, not a suggestion that you listen to computer speakers. If you are looking for a portable travel solution, there are headphone amps with built in DACs which makes it even more portable. Schiit Jutenheim and Lyr 3 tube are such products. I use Audeze Deckard myself.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:27 PM
Retired

Serge - Thanks for the tip on the Jotunheim & Lyr R. Had not noticed that they are available with the multi-bit upgrade. Have ask Schiit if there is any performance difference between the DAC performance in all three and will be guided by their response.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Serge - Thanks for the tip on the Jotunheim & Lyr R. Had not noticed that they are available with the multi-bit upgrade. Have ask Schiit if there is any performance difference between the DAC performance in all three and will be guided by their response.
Really can't go wrong with Schiit for headphone listening at those prices.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:59 PM
Retired

This was Schiit's response: "While I cannot speculate on what differences you may hear between the two, they both use the same Multibit DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547)." Something of a non-answer. Guess I'll have to decide between 2-boxes (Bifrost MB & Valhalla 2) or the single-box Jotunheim. Decisions, decisions...........

Edit - decision made. I'm going to go with the 2-box solution. I like the idea of having the DAC in its own box and I'm a big fan of the 6922 tube used in the Valhalla 2. Lots of good choices for tube-rolling.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-11-2018 at 06:31 PM.