AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
A Bugatti customer will never cross-shop with a Tesla. That much is clear. The point here is that an electric car can dethrone what many consider one of the best examples of a supercar at a fraction of the price. The future is clear.
What would be the autonomy of the roaster at that speed / performance ?

The future will be electric but we're still a long way from there.

One thing petrol engine will never be able to compete with electric is on instant torque. We still need more innovation in electric before we can fully exploit it.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:04 PM

Tesla SUV against the Lamborghini Aventador. I'd say we are doing just fine with electric innovation.

https://youtu.be/_NnNEuxqoPo
Old 11-20-2017, 03:25 PM

Here are a few of my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Nobody bothers to properly analyze the net total cost of electric vehicles including environmental, running, depreciation to name a few.

Another fact that seems to be omitted from EV discussions is the 65% of electricity is generated from fuel, 35% of which is coal, give or take. That is what your Tesla is running on - let's not kid ourselves. Also is the inefficiencies inherent when transferring energy from one medium to another. I have electric heat at home - if electricity is so cheap, why are my heating bills significantly higher than those getting their heat from the direct burning of fuel?

There is no free lunch and the alleged "economy" of EVs is a farce.

Last but not least is the massive subsidies needed to keep Tesla afloat which has been operating at thumping losses since its inception.

I have no issue with anybody trying to come up with a better mousetrap; I object to it being done on my dime.

Last edited by 62caddy; 11-20-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62caddy View Post
Here are a few of my thoughts for whatever they are worth.

Nobody bothers to properly analyze the net total cost of electric vehicles including environmental, running, depreciation to name a few.

Another fact that seems to be omitted from EV discussions is the 65% of electricity is generated from fuel, 35% of which is coal, give or take. That is what your Tesla is running on - let's not kid ourselves. Also is the inefficiencies inherent when transferring energy from one medium to another. I have electric heat at home - if electricity is so cheap, why are my heating bills significantly higher than those getting their heat from the direct burning of fuel?

There is no free lunch and the alleged "economy" of EVs is a farce.

Last but not least is the massive subsidies needed to keep Tesla afloat which has been operating at thumping losses since its inception.

I have no issue with anybody trying to come up with a better mousetrap; I object to it being done on my dime.
Not sure what any of this has to do with the Tesla Roadster thread but OK!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:30 PM
Born-again audiophile

I've been resistant to the EV cars so far and it almost pains me to say that they are, gulp, starting to get interesting. Certainly this Tesla is trying to set a new bar of excitement. I admire the company for that, but not ready to bet on their future.

The BWM i8 and Porche 918 (and whatever replaces it) can certainly evolve quickly to the Tesla Roadster claims. It's all going to be exciting, and I predict that this time around electric cars are here to stay.

Last year I predicted the internet is here to stay. So you can count on my deep understanding of these things.
C2700, Bryston SP3, MC2301's, MC205, Sonus Faber Amati Futura's mains, SF center, Klipsch Sur/Back, JL F113, VPI Classic III, MR87, Pioneer Kuro plasma monitor, Oppo BDP-105, Sonos Port with W4S mod, Bryston BIT20.[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_spyder View Post
Last year I predicted the internet is here to stay. So you can count on my deep understanding of these things.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Tesla's are the real deal. I've ridden in a couple different models as they accelerated very hard. I just can't, in my own mind, compare them to gas powered vehicles. To me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I'll most likely never buy any electric vehicle as I am totally under the spell of internal combustion engines, on two and four wheels.

Terry
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbiker View Post
Tesla's are the real deal. I've ridden in a couple different models as they accelerated very hard. I just can't, in my own mind, compare them to gas powered vehicles. To me, it's like comparing apples and oranges.

I'll most likely never buy any electric vehicle as I am totally under the spell of internal combustion engines, on two and four wheels.
I'm nowhere near ready to get into all electric either but have to admit, the electric cars kick ass. Yesterday I spent 5 hrs on a round trip on a highway which was totally boring and tiring. So I can definitely imagine myself enjoying a quiet electric ride reading a book or listening to music while that electrified pod drives me to where I need to go all by itself. Hopefully in the near future!
Old 11-20-2017, 08:19 PM

Tesla makes a fine automobile, to plagiarize Sir Jackie Stewart.
That said when Car and Driver ran a model S around their hottest lap circuit the Tesla was quick out of the gate but soon suffered significant battery overheating which sent the car into “limp” mode as it crawled around the rest of its first lap.

The point I am making is that a sports car is more than one metric (0-60, quarter mile, braking, mileage, etc).
I do not believe the Tesla would go 620 miles with ones foot planted to the floor. Perhaps it might not go 5 miles in that circumstance.

Electric powered vehicles represent a future but it is still not ready to replace our fuel guzzling beasts. Perhaps one day but until someone figures out proper battery heat distribution, quick charging or crazy long charging intervals they will not replace the internal combustion engine.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:40 PM

Of course the Tesla will run its batteries out much faster at full throttle. The 600 mile range is under normal running conditions at freeway speeds, perhaps a bit less... Rumor has it the Chiron will suck its gas tank dry in 67 seconds at full throttle. The tires will last less than 15 minutes at sustained 250+ mph runs. The other question is, where exactly does one bury the foot to the floor and hold it other than a high speed, banked oval on either of the cars???