AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 11-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Legend

Default Best Holster?

After experimenting with what seems to be every brand holster I finally found one I believe is the best. A company called Alien Gear makes a holster system called shapeshifter. It allows you to use your shell(molded to shape of your gun) in different carry methods, appendix/IWB/OWB/etc. The holster on the appendix/inside the waistband is EXTREMELY comfortable! Isn’t hard leather that digs into you when you sit or bulky where you have to worry about printing through a shirt. I can’t recommend this holster enough, especially if you carry inside the waistband or appendix carry. Let’s hear your other favorites!
Krell S-1200U, Bryston Model T, Bryston Model TC1, JL F112 w/ stand, Krell S-1500 Amp, PS Audio P5, OPPO BDP-95, Sony 4K Ultra HD 55"X-850C monitor, Sony PS3, Wireworld cables, Furutech Flux-50 Filter, Stillpoints
Old 11-06-2017, 09:19 PM

Sounds like a nice set up Rich !

To date I've got a few from El Paso Saddlery and couldn't be happier

https://epsaddlery.com
Old 11-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rich.......The Alien Gear ShapeShift modular holster is interesting.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-06-2017, 10:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Rich.......Like you, I have tried quiet a few IWB holsters for several different weapons, S&W, Colt, Sig Sauer among others. Being a small framed person it is important for me to have a holster that occupies the least amount of my body inside my waistband. I don't carry outside the waistband or appendix carry so I have no need for modularity. My personal favorite for my S&W Shield 9mm is the Blade Tech IWB holster. It is made of Kydex, has a single secure belt clip that will not allow the holster to disengage from a belt unless purposely pulled out at the bottom edge, has back side protection to keep the weapon off my skin and dry, accommadates my tritium Big Dot front sight, and is thin enough to carry the 9mm Shield without printing through a T-shirt even with the extended mag. It fits perfectly in the curve of my hip unseen outside my shirt. For me it is comfortable for all day wear whether standing, walking or sitting. We all have our preferences. I find the BladeTech IWB holster to be just right for me.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 11-06-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 AM

Rich and Dan,
Thanks for the great insight. I will check out both of these
Speakers: Salon2 with F113v2 x 2
Analog: VPI Avenger Reference with Ortofon A95 and Esoteric E03 phonostage
Digital: Silenzio and Esoteric K03-x and G02
Power Management: PS Audio P10 x 2, P5
Cables: WW PE7 SC & IC, Furutech Flux-50 Filters
Rack: HRS SXR Signature
Old 11-07-2017, 02:10 AM

I have a older version Alien gear and it has been great.They are frequently coming out with new products.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:32 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Rich.......Like you, I have tried quiet a few IWB holsters for several different weapons, S&W, Colt, Sig Sauer among others. Being a small framed person it is important for me to have a holster that occupies the least amount of my body inside my waistband. I don't carry outside the waistband or appendix carry so I have no need for modularity. My personal favorite for my S&W Shield 9mm is the Blade Tech IWB holster. It is made of Kydex, has a single secure belt clip that will not allow the holster to disengage from a belt unless purposely pulled out at the bottom edge, has back side protection to keep the weapon off my skin and dry, accommadates my tritium Big Dot front sight, and is thin enough to carry the 9mm Shield without printing through a T-shirt even with the extended mag. It fits perfectly in the curve of my hip unseen outside my shirt. For me it is comfortable for all day wear whether standing, walking or sitting. We all have our preferences. I find the BladeTech IWB holster to be just right for me.

Yeah Dan it seems like a never ending holster tunnel. I have so many iwb(my favorite way to carry as well) I actually lost count. One of my favorite things about the alien gear shapeshifter modular system is the fact you can purchase other “shells(molded to your specific firearm) and use them on the IWB/etc. It’s a way to save money instead of having a different holster for every single weapon. I believe a shell costs around $40 bucks. Like you, I believe comfort is the biggest key and I would suggest others try different brands to the day they find the “one”.

Please remember to train with your concealed holster and firearm as well! Make sure your weapon is unloaded, practice your draw and dry fire. Easy to do at home in between range sessions. Another recommendation is ask your local range or find a instructor to help you train your draw and fire from concealed. It is worth every penny to have the proper technique when it comes to something that can save your life one day.
Krell S-1200U, Bryston Model T, Bryston Model TC1, JL F112 w/ stand, Krell S-1500 Amp, PS Audio P5, OPPO BDP-95, Sony 4K Ultra HD 55"X-850C monitor, Sony PS3, Wireworld cables, Furutech Flux-50 Filter, Stillpoints
Old 11-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroo View Post
Rich and Dan,
Thanks for the great insight. I will check out both of these

I believe alien gear offers a free trial period so definitely worth taking a look at. I love mine.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLuJr View Post
Please remember to train with your concealed holster and firearm as well! Make sure your weapon is unloaded, practice your draw and dry fire. Easy to do at home in between range sessions. Another recommendation is ask your local range or find a instructor to help you train your draw and fire from concealed. It is worth every penny to have the proper technique when it comes to something that can save your life one day.
Rich.......I appreciate the encouragement. You are 100% correct. There may come a time when we only have a single opportunity to survive. Muscle memory and confidence in your training make a huge difference. That is one reason why I carry the same pistol every day. No reason to retrain my muscle memory and reflexes to a different tool.

Old 03-19-2018, 12:47 AM

Garrett Industries Holsters are pretty darn comfortable but the wait is pretty long. If you want all-leather then Sam Andrews at Andrews Custom Leather should be on your short list but again the wait will be around two or three months as well.