AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2012, 08:05 AM

Default Aida at the Cape

One of the nights before leaving the Cape, I had dinner with Ivan and Donna . This is the third time I have visited Ivan’s summer home at the Cape. Let me say he is a very lucky man ! The dinner was at one of the restaurants in his community on the beach where we sat down first for a cocktail while we watched the sun set. Then we had a fantastic meal, great conversation and I had a really fun time. Although I only see Ivan and Donna about once a year when I am with them it feels like I am with old friends. After dinner we went back to Ivan’s home to listen to the newest listening room all set up with gorgeous chrome finish Burmester electronics, top of the line chrome Avid turntable and last but not least the spectacular Sonus Faber Aida speakers all connected with wire world platinum cables. I have heard the hype and read the reviews and seen the pictures of these speakers but seeing and hearing them in person knocked my sox off. The sound that these speakers puts out is unbelievable ! I kept looking around to see if Ivan had subwoofers in the walls because the bass was like going to a concert . After looking around I did not see any subwoofers present, that is something he will no doubt have in the walls the next time I visit My wife who is not exactly a audiophile was impressed especially when Ivan played a Madona song she said….” I feel like she is in the room” . For those of you who have not been to Ivan’s home, his basement is very large and yet the sound coming from the speakers fed by the 3 Burmester stereo amps filled and pressurized the room as if it was a small room. The mids and high’s were spectacular as well. Imaging had a surprisingly wide sweet spot and as always with sonus faber was brilliant having been set up by our Metafacts, Bill . The stereo that Ivan has set up in the room with the built in of all his Mcintosh equipment, let me call it the “ Mcintosh room “ is fanatastic, when I heard it in the past. This room is much more intimate with eye candy everywhere from the Strads to the wall of Mcintosh to the comfortable furniture to the rack with his beautiful turntable. The Aida room is however in another league as hard as that is to believe and that can cause a audiophile some emotional problems as it took me a few days after I went home to want to go to my own listening room . Seriously there is nowhere to go from here and Ivan know’s it will be really hard to top what he has already. From the home Theater room to the Mcintosh room to the Aida room , trying to figure out what to listen to is kind of like going to ones garage and seeing a Ferrari, Porsche and a Lamborghini and trying to decide what to drive, decisions decisions, oh he has that problem too