AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 07-01-2013, 06:42 PM

Maybe because it's expensive for many people to own? That is true. Not everyone can afford all this gear! Hell, I can't. Ima be eatin Ramen for years to come.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
Maybe because it's expensive for many people to own? That is true. Not everyone can afford all this gear! Hell, I can't. Ima be eatin Ramen for years to come.
I believe I saw a picture of your system on MCs face book page. I love your system, just seems so right and clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 07-01-2013, 11:44 PM

I get sad and bummed because I love the look of McIntosh amps and processor and speakers. I have loved Mac since the early 90s when I first saw their amps in a dealer. Since about 2 years ago I've thought about getting the MX-121 and MC205. Then I read the dream theater review of the XR100, 50, LCR80, MC8207, MX121 and blu ray. I love so much the picture of that system.

At my dealer they have the 121 and MC205 in their awesome theater. I got to spend time in front of them looking at them and feeling them. I just love them so much. My fav brand and look by far. And then I hear about the audio quality.

I got to hear the C48, MC452 and XR100. I was blown away at the speakers. I liked them so much that I told them if I could I'd leave my truck their if I could take home the XR100 and I'd walk home. Which is about 30 minute drive.

Then a few weeks after that, a few months ago after a ton of thinking and anxiety and OCD, I made my final decision. I would try to buy the MC205 and MX121. And with my income being on disability, this was an enormous decision.

But, but, then I read people say amps within normal specs sound the same. Like a Mac amp won't sound any different then say an Emotiva or Rotel or whatever. Then that got me down and confused again.

But I get bummed seeing pictures because of how awesome Mac gear is in their look and heft.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I get sad and bummed because I love the look of McIntosh amps and processor and speakers. I have loved Mac since the early 90s when I first saw their amps in a dealer. Since about 2 years ago I've thought about getting the MX-121 and MC205. Then I read the dream theater review of the XR100, 50, LCR80, MC8207, MX121 and blu ray. I love so much the picture of that system.

At my dealer they have the 121 and MC205 in their awesome theater. I got to spend time in front of them looking at them and feeling them. I just love them so much. My fav brand and look by far. And then I hear about the audio quality.

I got to hear the C48, MC452 and XR100. I was blown away at the speakers. I liked them so much that I told them if I could I'd leave my truck their if I could take home the XR100 and I'd walk home. Which is about 30 minute drive.

Then a few weeks after that, a few months ago after a ton of thinking and anxiety and OCD, I made my final decision. I would try to buy the MC205 and MX121. And with my income being on disability, this was an enormous decision.

But, but, then I read people say amps within normal specs sound the same. Like a Mac amp won't sound any different then say an Emotiva or Rotel or whatever. Then that got me down and confused again.

But I get bummed seeing pictures because of how awesome Mac gear is in their look and heft.
I am probably the least competent person here but I can tell you that in my very limited personal experience - amplifiers do NOT sound the same. I recently went to the dealer to "prove" to myself that amps sound the same and compared the MC452 with the Parasound A52 and my Marantz MA700. I can tell you for sure that as far as power – there was enough power from any of the amps to drive a set of 802 diamonds. However – the sound was NOT the same. The MC452 sounded clearly different and in my opinion better. The biggest difference I heard was in the soundstage. With the MA700 and to a large extend A52, the sound was clearly coming from in between the speakers. With the MC452 the sound was clearly coming from all over the room, it was completely three dimensional. All associated equipment used was the same…

HOWEVER, the cost difference between say an Emotiva and McIntosh is significant. IF you can afford it, it’s probably worth it, but if you cannot, it probably does not make sense to go crazy over it…
Old 07-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

Sounds like you spend time over on the AVS forums

I think you will find a big percentage of the population here feel there are differences. I tend to subscribe to the philospohy that thousands of satisfied customers can't be wrong and soo many people talk about their experiences comparing amps and liking amp x because it sounded like y compared to amp a which sounded like b. The same is true of cables especially here on this forum where people are civil and respect peoples opinions.

There will of course be some amps that sound very similar, even to the point it's hard or impossible to tell them apart but this might just come down to the companies philospohy perhaps, what they want their amps to contribute to the overall system. Some compaines may look at their amps more as an instrument imparting a very distinct sound/texture to the experience whereas others may want their amp to deliver exactly what is on the source with as little coloration as possible.

For example I hear so often people say that McIntosh produces a warm sound, it can't be a coincidence that so many people feel/hear this especially with so many variations in other system components in peoples systems not to mention room differences. So this leads me to believe McIntosh may look at their amps as an instrument and aren't looking for them to to be invisible in the systems they are in but rather want to make whatever system they are placed in distinctively McIntosh.

Personally this doesn't work for me, I want my amp to be as invisible/transparent as possible thus leaving the toneality/coloration to my room and speakers then to a much lesser extent the pre-amp with further tweaking done via cables. This isn't a mark against McIntosh, not in the least, they are a top tier manufacturer, no doubt about it. Full disclosure, I have never personally heard McIntosh but again subscribing to the philosophy that so many satisfied customers reporting the same traits can't be wrong this just leaves McIntosh off of the table for me.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
It aint cheap eating ramen nowaday...And it aint good for your health either. hahaha..Enjoy our hobby.
C1000C/P/T,,MS300,MEN220,MDA/MCD1000,MC275vi,MC601X2,MC225, MC50X3, C28, C20, Dynaco ST70X2, BAT-VK6200, Fisher 800CX2, SONY HAP-1Zes Music player, ProJect RP9.2/BlackBird MC, MartinLogan CLSiiA, Descent i, Purity, Quad ESL63, Magnepan20.1/3.6R/1.5
Old 07-03-2013, 07:41 PM

buggs1a I look at it this way.Music first gear second.We all would like to have the best system but most of us cannot.I am on the bottom end on this site and do not much care.However the system over time seems to change and improve resulting in my three systems.I have heard expensive sound bad and less sound great so do what you can and enjoy!
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Remember... this hobby is all about the Journey not the Destination.
MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES
Old 07-04-2013, 12:29 AM

Still adding on! Now the wiring begins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2861579679.jpg (45.9 KB, 859 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 01:50 AM
AA Founder, Legend AV Owner

Wow... Looking real good!

MX136, MC1.2KW(10) MC2KW(2), MCD1100, MS750(2) MVP881, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, HT-2 SUBS(2) HT3F(2) WS350(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) XCS350(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" MOTORIZED SCREEN, CINEMA-TECH SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: ACCUPHASE A300 AMPS, C3900 PRE-AMP, DP1000 CD/SACD TRANSPORT, DC1000 DIGITAL PROCESSOR, DG-68 DIGITAL EQUALIZER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, PS1230 POWER SUPPLY, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, WW PLATINUM CABLES
CAPE COD

MX150, MC501(2) MC1.2KW(10) MC2301(2) MR88, MVP881, MCD1100, MDA1000, C1000C/P/T, MPC1500, ESOTERIC K-01X 30th ANNIVERSARY (BLACK) SACD/CD PLAYER, G02-X CLOCK, HT3F(2) XRT2K, XCS2K, XR27(2) JL GOTHAM v2 SUBS(2) JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(4) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) KALEIDESCAPE STRATO & TERRA SERVERS 80-TB, LUMAGEN RADIANCE SCALER, SONY VPH-G90U 4K PROJECTOR, STEWART 120" SCREEN, SONUS FABER STRADIVARI, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, FORTRESS SEATING, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Analog Rig: CLEARAUDIO INNOVATION WOOD, UNIVERSAL ARM w/ Da VINCI' CART, 2nd UNIVERSAL ARM w/ GOLDFINGER STATEMENT CART, HRS-MXR REFERENCE RACK-GLOSS BLACK w/ M3X SHELVES, AESTHETIX RHEA SIG PHONO-PRE, BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Reference System: BURMESTER 911MK3 AMP(3), 088 PRE-AMP, 089 CD PLAYER, 100 PHONO PRE-AMP, 948 POWER CONDITIONER, ACCUPHASE DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, AVID ACUTUS REFERENCE SP TT, GRAHAM PHANTOM II SUPREME ARM, BENZ MICRO LP-S CART, GRANDIOSO P1X/D1X STACK, G1X RUBIDIUM MASTER CLOCK, N05 NETWORK PLAYER, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS-SXR CUSTOM RACK w/ M3X SHELVES, SONUS FABER AIDA SPEAKERS, JL FATHOM F113v2 SUBS(2) SOUND ANCHOR STANDS(2) WW PLATINUM CABLES

Library System: GRANDIOSO M1 MONOBLOCK AMPS, C1 LINESTAGE PRE-AMP, K1X CD/SACD PLAYER, G1 MASTER RUBIDIUM CLOCK, E02 PHONO-PRE, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, AERIAL ACOUSTICS 20T V2, AERIAL SW12 SUBS(2), CANTON REF K1’s, VPI HRX TT w/ SDS POWER SUPPLY, ORTOFON CADENZA BLACK CART, KLAUDIO RCM, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2, SHUNYATA OMEGA QR’s, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Esoteric/Bryston System: ESOTERIC C02-X PRE-AMP, P-02X TRANSPORT, D02-X DAC, G02-X CLOCK, BRYSTON 28B3 CUBED MONOBLOCK AMPS(4), BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMP, SHUNYATA DENALI 6000/S v2(2) EVEREST 8000 POWER CONDITIONER(2) ALTAIRA CG & SG HUBS, AMR-DP777-SE DAC, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, TAD REFERENCE ONE MK2 LOUDSPEAKERS, QUADRASPIRE RACK, WW PLATINUM CABLES
Accuphase/Canton System: ACCUPHASE E800 INTEGRATED, DP570 CD/SACD PLAYER, T1200 FM STEREO TUNER, DG-68 VOICING EQUALIZER, PS530 POWER SUPPLY, CANTON REF K3’s, CANTON REF K5’s, SILENZIO MUSIC SERVER, HRS MXR REFERENCE MAHOGHANY RACK w/ M3X2 SHELVES, WW GOLD CABLES