AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Nos 6h30

Hi,

Will NOS 6H30 tubes make a big improvement over factory tubes ? Need some advice thanks.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Amplification - Naim Statement

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

Purepower 2000 x 2 (&$@#% but
sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Living La Vida Vinyl

6H30-DR - people who paid a lot of money for them will probably say they make a big difference.

I found their sonic effect very much dependent on the gear they are used in. Eg, CJ, negligble; ARC, minor, a bit more extended highs.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:19 AM

Hi tima,

Thanks for the advice.

Regards,
Joe Ling

Source 2 - Avid Acutus SP reference + Thales Reference tone arm + Benz Micro LPS (DS Audio Master 1 broken tip repaired but cost me USD2k. Still having issues - channel imbalance - back to dealer. However, channel issues not withstanding, sounded very very nice. Need to get it back soonest)

Source 3 - DCS Vivaldi + Antelope reference clock or Cybershaft Op18 (not floating my boat so far)

Source 5 - ROON ROCK with Aurender W20 as NAS & 2 units of SOTM switch with 10M input (the new frontier but still cannot beat CD for now) - ROON endpoint - Vivaldi upsampler

Speakers - ProAc Carbon 8 + JL FM113 x2 (replacement purchased - Stella Utopia EVO but due to lockdown, could be a year's wait)

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 10-13-2018, 04:24 PM

I tried them in my ARC. Not only did I find the difference very modest, they are so hard to find and if you find them likely counterfeit or previously used so maybe weak. Even if you have none of those problems the stock is so small you will not be able to get ones with matches triodes or that match another well. So the real question is better to get new, strong, even croyed ones with matched triodes (GM) or 6h30dr that are unmatched and have unknown usage? For myself I decided the former.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:09 AM

Parts Connexion selling matched pairs at a premium price. I need 2 pairs for my ref2 phono which adds up to a pretty penny. Thanks for the reality check.

sounds nice)

Shunyata Denali X 2
Old 10-14-2018, 02:13 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

I used the 6H30-DRs in an ARC Ref 2 Phono and in the 2SE. Nice units. Those tubes do last a long time. And they did have a greater impact (though minor) in the Phono stage than in the Ref 5SE linestage. However, imo you'll get better value for your dollar with a decent isolation platform.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:44 PM

A few years back, when the DRs were still affordable, I switched a pair of DRs for regular matched EH 6h30s in my LS25MkII and did not hear a discernible difference. Went through two sets of DRs and afterwards went back to EH 6h30s. At the current prices for DRs ($300 a piece at The Tube Store) , I don't think they are worth the cost.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:50 AM

That’s why I bought several sets for my Ref 40 when I bought mine. There was a very obvious difference in tonality imaging dynamics etc in my Ref 40. Rated to 10k Hrs they last at least 2.5 times longer.
My sets are so tightly matched between A/B sections and each other - less than 1.5% all 10.
I just pulled them all for annual pin cleaning with Kontak and tested in my Maxi-Pre tube tester and still have same specs as when NOS when I first installed them.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM

BTW the Tube Store versions are very late production in 1990’s if I recall. Mine currently are circa 1981. Those last few years production after the fall of the USSR are not as well mfrd.
Old 08-20-2019, 06:50 PM

You could be right about late production DRs. I ran through mine begining about 2010.