AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Magico

Magico Extreme Fidelity

Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Yeah we can do that - they are about 50kg each so not that heavy to carry around. I would love to hear them on the end of your tubes, or your D'Agostino. I think you may be surprised how good they sound mate. Tight dry bass.

That said I like the Devialet very much. But it needs Antipodes in front of it now....
Was only half kidding but would be fun if it is indeed organisable. You need some one on one time with them first

I don't think I will be surprised as they are very well regarded.

when does the Antipode arrive?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:39 AM
A happy little vegemite..

Well I only have maybe 12 hours running on them, but they are a very good speaker, of that much I am sure. Very transparent very resolving.

I have got a little digititis atm, which I didn't have with the far more forgiving SA1's (I actually really like the Spendor + Devialet combo - probably more than the Devialet -S1 combo atm if I am being honest).

Quote:
Was only half kidding
I thought you were all serious ha ha It would be fun to tee up once they are run in. You are quite right, they need some time on them first.

Quote:
when does the Antipode arrive?
Warwick says 2-3 weeks (new casework being completed). The limitations in my front end are making themselves heard...grr grr

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-30-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 AM

Andy

Sounds like you need me to run the Magico's in first( as you know I play a lot of music) then you listen to them when perfectly run in.

You then have time to run in the Devialet with the more forgiving Spendors.

Cheers
Old 08-30-2014, 08:45 AM

Andy I know where you are coming from with my own experiences.
1st try tweaking the tone control for treble to be lower as cheap option, but I really would recommend trying different cables both for mains (contentious subject but some feel it has helped them with their Devialet) and definitely speaker cable.

Could try entry-mid range Audioquest/Wireworld (not sure ideal with the Magico and Devialet)/others

Or, something I wish I had tried use an external warm-rich sounding DAC and feed it into the Devialet; yes it will be changed back to digital but in theory should still be very similar to the external DAC.

To see how good the Magico is; not sure what music you listen to but try something like Queen and listen to the control of sibilance off Freddie Mercury voice-drums, just a quick example.
I listen to both classical and pop/dance/blues, similar examples of control could be seen with jazz if into that as well.

Comes down to what works out to be the cheapest solution for your long term satisfaction and whether selling the Magico or finding a setup with the Magico that is more satisfying than the Devialet-Spendor setup.

I suggest doing something to "tweak" the sound with Magico setup now rather than waiting as what you have identified is not going to change with more run-in time, you will just be put off even more IMO.
As you realise it is very neutral-resolving-transparent so a perfect "tool" in hearing what the rest of your system also does (or if system is too neutral) .
TBH I came to the conclusion I do not want the absolute neutrality that many chase (so did I until I realised not my cup of tea), but that said I am really glad I purchased the Magico speakers as this is perfect for setting up the rest of my system.
Choices at its price range are unfortunately a bit limited IMO if looking for something that has that broad level of high performance in many areas.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited by Orb; 08-30-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPandy View Post
Well I only have maybe 12 hours running on them, but they are a very good speaker, of that much I am sure. Very transparent very resolving.

I have got a little digititis atm, which I didn't have with the far more forgiving SA1's (I actually really like the Spendor + Devialet combo - probably more than the Devialet -S1 combo atm if I am being honest).
Please spend some more time with the S1s, Andy.

It is possible that your ears are used to a sound that is a bit 'coloured', a bit muffled, which can seem 'warmer'.

And then come these revealing speakers, that let you hear every detail...

Listen to some very good recordings (remastered ones from the 50s and 60s, or some newer state-of-the-art without digital artifacts) and you'll get used to your Magicos.

Happy listening!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-30-2014, 11:00 AM

For critical listening try to move them a bit into the room, I am sure that will do the trick.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post
Snip......

Listen to some very good recordings (remastered ones from the 50s and 60s, or some newer state-of-the-art without digital artifacts) and you'll get used to your Magicos.

Happy listening!
This may be shocking but I actually found myself enjoying some of the more forward/dynamically compressed albums on the Magico S1 than on other speakers I have had
I did not expect that tbh and nice to be able to enjoy Adele and others in that "genre" more often these days.
But yeah it is really nice to also have good recordings that are well mixed-mastered

Cheers
Orb
Old 08-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orb View Post
This may be shocking but I actually found myself enjoying some of the more forward/dynamically compressed albums on the Magico S1 than on other speakers I have had
I did not expect that tbh and nice to be able to enjoy Adele and others in that "genre" more often these days.
But yeah it is really nice to also have good recordings that are well mixed-mastered

Cheers
Orb
I can easily understand that.
Once you are used to revealing speakers, as are my Vivid Audios also, you don't want anything else, not even for your 80s discs or Adele.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 08-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turntable View Post
Andy Sounds like you need me to run the Magico's in first( as you know I play a lot of music) then you listen to them when perfectly run in. You then have time to run in the Devialet with the more forgiving Spendors. Cheers
I'm inclined to agree. +1
Old 08-30-2014, 08:54 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Hang on everyone, I'm not selling anything - not sure what that came from.

I must have expressed myself poorly.

Even I, as someone that turns over gear at an alarming rate, isn't going to buy a pair of Magico S1's & flip them the next week...although I do admit when they arrived with a dead woofer I did chuckle..

Quote:
Sounds like you need me to run the Magico's in first( as you know I play a lot of music) then you listen to them when perfectly run in.
That is just a cunning plan by Shane to get the Magico's to his house for a couple months! See the trouble you caused Shane! I can see the evil gleam in your eye from here

I think I need to stick to Julian's "Classical Music" thread....a guy can get paranoid round here..

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 08-31-2014 at 02:04 AM.