AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Headphones, Personal Listening Gear

Headphones, Personal Listening Gear Personal Listening at its Best

Old 02-01-2017, 01:45 PM

Default Headphone suggestions for a newcomer

I'm about to venture into the world of headphones for the 1st time, not primarily for listening to my music library but mainly for my guitar.

I certainly may get a Bryston BHA-1 in the future but for now the main focus is for extended playing sessions with my guitar.

After doing some research on-line and examining what brands are available in my local market I've got it narrowed down to 3 models in particular.

B&W P9 ($999)
Focal Elear ($1,499)
Sennheiser HD800 S ($2,199.99)

The HD800 S are the most expensive by $700 over the Elear here in Canada. The HD800 S reputation goes on and on but I've seen some great reviews of the Elear's making me wonder if they hold their own against the HD800 S.

I haven't come across much feedback about the P9's.

Anyone familiar with all 3 and could provide feedback?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2017, 02:50 PM

The HD800 S has the largest soundstage, the P9 tries to emulate a speaker with a reported bass hump. It has it's fans and detractors. Both are a lot of money for your needs. Elear has on the main equal if different footing with the 800, with the 800 getting the general nod. Maybe in ears would be better with guitar. However, I am the 'gettin' In to the mid range' king here, and wiser ears will contribute shortly.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM

I would not rule out HD600 Sennheiser for $300 new. Warmish overall tonality with good but not exceptional bass. Overall a very pleasant headphone to listen to, musical and warm sounding. HD650 for $75 more adds a tighter, grippier bass and loses a touch of warmth towards neutrality. the HD800 is a more neutral type of a headphone so will reveal more of upstream components with the resulting consequences, good or bad. I've owned the three pairs of Sennheiser I mentioned so very familiar with them.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the responses. I definitely don't want in ears so they are off the table. I need something that's very comfortable as I could be playing for a few hours at a time. Plus if I do venture into listening to my music library down the road I don't want to have to buy another pair at that time if I were to skimp on a quality pair now because I'm just using it for my guitar playing, I want to do it right now.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 AM

I own practically every headphone out there. I would talk to Ivan about a pair of Audeze LCD-X's.

Home Main System:
Magnepan 20.7, Pass Labs XA 100.5, Audio Research Reference 6, Esoteric P-03, D-03, G0-Rb, DV-60, Clearaudio Innovation & Tangent arm, VPI HW19 MK4 & ET 2.5 arm, Mark Levinson 37, Aesthetix Rhea Signature, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Kiseki PHS, Sumiko Palos Santos Presentation,Wireworld, Crystal Absolute Dream, Shunyata, Acoustic Zen, and Stealth cables

Other
Avalon Arcus, Snell Type AIII, Tympani IV, Green Mountain Europa, Martin Logan CLS, Tympani 1D, Counterpoint, GAS, Yamaha, Levinson, Perreaux, Proceed, Theta, Linn, and other collectibles, including 60 different headphones and 30+ headphone amps, over 60 cartridges, and too many cables, stands, and tweaks to list.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Anderson View Post
I own practically every headphone out there. I would talk to Ivan about a pair of Audeze LCD-X's.
+1

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum Phono Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 3
Dan D'Agostino Momentum S250
dCS Vivaldi Apex DAC
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2, Yvette & Mezzo
REL No.32 x 2
REL Carbon Special x 2
AVID Acutus Ref SP, Roon Nucleus+
McIntosh MX151, MVP881
HRS SXR Signature Audio Stand
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!

New York

Dan D'Agostino Momentum HD Preamp
Dan D'Agostino Momentum M400 MxV x 2
dCS Rossini Dac
dCS Rossini Clock
Wilson Audio Alexia 2
REL No.25 x 2
Roon Nucleus+
Transparent Gen5Ref throughout!
Old 02-02-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I would not rule out HD600 Sennheiser for $300 new. Warmish overall tonality with good but not exceptional bass. Overall a very pleasant headphone to listen to, musical and warm sounding. HD650 for $75 more adds a tighter, grippier bass and loses a touch of warmth towards neutrality. the HD800 is a more neutral type of a headphone so will reveal more of upstream components with the resulting consequences, good or bad. I've owned the three pairs of Sennheiser I mentioned so very familiar with them.

I agree, I had the HD600 for years and upgraded to the HD650. I don't use headphones enough to justify the HD800's. Both are very comfortable and sound great, especially for the $$$. I'd certainly take a listen to the Sennheiser lineup.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:17 PM

FWIW, The top headphone for guitar players seems to be the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Studio Monitor Headphones, according to top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers. They are $149.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 PM

I have the HD 650 Sennheiser and the Audeze LCD 2.I use the 650 Sennheiser more due to comfort and size.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:05 AM

It is a vast field.As mentioned, you have studio monitor 'phones which ' tell it like it is' without any house signature, perhaps ideal for your guitar, then you have the in house sound of the likes of Sennheiser and Audeze. I love the Audeze sound, which starts with the portable Sine, then the EL-8, and from then to the LCD series. I've only heard the first two and was really impressed, but they are bulky, and the Sine is tight fitting. Have a perusal on Headfi,there are 100's of posts on all the 'phones mentioned from owners, or check out the above mentioned links. I come and go with 'phones, you might do the same, so set a budget and probably look to these two companies in the main. The P9 is also loved.