AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Turntables & Tonearms

Turntables & Tonearms Where Analog still Rules

Old 03-13-2014, 10:51 AM

Default Ikeda IT-407 Tonearm

Anybody using Ikeda long tonearm or having experiences may share his experiences briefly? I am at the process of getting a second tonearm, one will be Graham Phantom Elite 9 inch (hopefully will be delivered soon), the second one may be again another Graham (I already have Phantom B-44 and may keep it or upgrade it to recent Phantom models -either II Supreme, III or Elite) or another beast like Ikeda 12 inch. Contrary to my earlier thought that to keep it simple, two identical tonearms would work better in terms of assessing different cartridges (as tonearm parameter will be fixed), now I think a bit different as some cartridge/tonearm combinations would yield very different hence having 2 different tonearms would make more sense (I would not want to even discuss 9 vs 12 inch, pros cons etc). Costs of Ikeda and Graham look similar so it is more of musical and practical differences.

Any feedback welcome.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number95 View Post
Anybody using Ikeda long tonearm or having experiences may share his experiences briefly? I am at the process of getting a second tonearm, one will be Graham Phantom Elite 9 inch (hopefully will be delivered soon), the second one may be again another Graham (I already have Phantom B-44 and may keep it or upgrade it to recent Phantom models -either II Supreme, III or Elite) or another beast like Ikeda 12 inch. Contrary to my earlier thought that to keep it simple, two identical tonearms would work better in terms of assessing different cartridges (as tonearm parameter will be fixed), now I think a bit different as some cartridge/tonearm combinations would yield very different hence having 2 different tonearms would make more sense (I would not want to even discuss 9 vs 12 inch, pros cons etc). Costs of Ikeda and Graham look similar so it is more of musical and practical differences.

Any feedback welcome.
Well I guess Ikeda not very popular among AA members as no reply. I found a friend who have used both Ikeda 407 and Graham Phantom and he says Graham is almost excellent but when it comes to Ikeda, it is a special tonearm, not sure it is due to 12 vs 9 inch. I decided to order 407 as second tonearm, will share my impressions here after installing and testing it.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Well I guess Ikeda not very popular among AA members as no reply. I found a friend who have used both Ikeda 407 and Graham Phantom and he says Graham is almost excellent but when it comes to Ikeda, it is a special tonearm, not sure it is due to 12 vs 9 inch. I decided to order 407 as second tonearm, will share my impressions here after installing and testing it.
Think that Bill's just getting distribution set up.

Here 'a a link to a review.

http://www.avshowrooms.com/Ikeda_Tonearm.html
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor View Post
Think that Bill's just getting distribution set up.

Here 'a a link to a review.

Ikeda Tonearm
Hello Myles,

Thanks for that link, I have seen those while searching. That looks like a really promising tonearm. I also consider 9tt cartridge it seems like benefiting from synergy between those two. Kansui (that I have now) vs 9tt both with 407 tonearm would be an interesting experience :-)
Old 03-16-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Hello Myles, Thanks for that link, I have seen those while searching. That looks like a really promising tonearm. I also consider 9tt cartridge it seems like benefiting from synergy between those two. Kansui (that I have now) vs 9tt both with 407 tonearm would be an interesting experience :-)
I'm just finishing a review of the 9tt. Worked great in the VPI Classic 10.5 arm. The 9tt's requires a good phono section given it's extremely low output. Eventually will get a listen to the Kai down here too.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I'm just finishing a review of the 9tt. Worked great in the VPI Classic 10.5 arm. The 9tt's requires a good phono section given it's extremely low output. Eventually will get a listen to the Kai down here too.
My ARC Ref 2 SE high gain is 74db, I presume it is adequate for a low output cartridge like 9tt. Also some Japanese makers (like Ikeda) indicate their output at 3.54cm/s, I guess 9tt output at 5cm/s should be higher to compare to some other manufacturers cartridges outputs specifed at 5cm/s.

Kai vs 9tt would be even more interesting!

Looking to hear your impressions. The price tag proves Kai should be a better effort, but whether it is worth paying extra over 9tt should be the question.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Myles,

My 407 tonearm and Kai cartridge already on their way, hope to get them delivered next week. I may review Kai before you!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:55 PM

Congrats, what a beautiful tonearm! I used an old Fidelity Research FR-64fx for years and then got a Phantom Supreme with my new table. I'm unable to do direct comparisons unless I get a 2nd arm broad, but while the Graham is excellent, I think the old FR arm -- at the very least -- holds its own with Koetsu carts. Obviously, I'd expect a new Ikeda 407 to significantly exceed that.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
Congrats, what a beautiful tonearm! I used an old Fidelity Research FR-64fx for years and then got a Phantom Supreme with my new table. I'm unable to do direct comparisons unless I get a 2nd arm broad, but while the Graham is excellent, I think the old FR arm -- at the very least -- holds its own with Koetsu carts. Obviously, I'd expect a new Ikeda 407 to significantly exceed that.
Thank you Mike. I will use 407 as second tonearm to complement my Graham. I also think of using Ikeda with low compliance cartridges. I will give feedback as how Ikeda holds against Graham.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:56 PM

image.jpg

Ikeda Kai arrived today. Hope to listen to it with Ikeda 407 tonearm soon.