AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 10-09-2016, 07:33 PM

I have had this nagging thought in the back of my head for months that I should insert a high quality 2-channel pre-amp to my system dedicated to music listening.

The review and subsequent comments made here by people I trust and respect have helped me solidify my selection for the 2-channel pre-amp I wish to add to my system.

My MX135's 2-channel performance is a wonder to hear, especially coupled with high resolution digital music being processed by the D100. Of course, the MX135 will remain in my system for the TV/Movie Streaming/DVD chores.

Reading here that the C52 couples all that I need in one chassis that adds the capability of DSD processing, and provides that signature McIntosh sound, I find no further need to review other units.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. AA is full of useful and fun information that I count on when considering upgrades to my system.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Blown & Injected

Yes. The C52 has three main outputs - Main, 1, and 2.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmd2010 View Post
Hey guys.

So this is my current setup. I'm about to finish my basement, and am creating two rooms (amongst several other rooms), one will be a room for home theater and projector, and the other will be right next to it and will be an exercise room.

in my home theater room, i have a 7.2 setup and have a 7 channel amplifier (i have two monoblocks for the fronts of my home theater), of which I have 2 extra channels that I'm not using. I wanted some music for my exercise room, so I thought that I could just use the extra two channels that I have left over for the exercise room. I was going to have my contractor run speaker wires into the exercise room in the walls. My question for you guys:

Can the C52 support outputs to 2 different 2.1 speaker setups? Obviously not play them at the same time? i was hoping that I could have all my sources be connected to the C52. That way, if i wanted to listen to music in my home theater room on my 802D3's i can, and in my exercise room, when i am working out, i wanted to listen to music but off of the c52 amp?

I guess long story short, can I run 2 different zones on the C52?
docmd2010.......As damacman pointed out, the C52 provides three preamplifier outputs, MAIN, OUTPUT 1, OUTPUT 2. The MAIN output is not switched, only OUTPUT 1 and OUTPUT 2 are switched, so you could feed your two channels for the Home theater room from OUTPUT 1 and the gym from OUTPUT 2. I am not sure how you plan to work subwoofers into this scheme since they are normally fed from either OUTPUT 1 or OUTPUT 2. If you plan to use a subwoofer like a REL that uses amplifier speaker outputs you will be fine, otherwise you will have a connection issue.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-09-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post
I have had this nagging thought in the back of my head for months that I should insert a high quality 2-channel pre-amp to my system dedicated to music listening.

The review and subsequent comments made here by people I trust and respect have helped me solidify my selection for the 2-channel pre-amp I wish to add to my system.

My MX135's 2-channel performance is a wonder to hear, especially coupled with high resolution digital music being processed by the D100. Of course, the MX135 will remain in my system for the TV/Movie Streaming/DVD chores.

Reading here that the C52 couples all that I need in one chassis that adds the capability of DSD processing, and provides that signature McIntosh sound, I find no further need to review other units.

Thank you all for your contributions to this thread. AA is full of useful and fun information that I count on when considering upgrades to my system.
Michael you will absolutely love it.

BTW I sent you a PM
Old 10-09-2016, 09:47 PM

I mis-spoke. For the stereo in my home theater room, i have 802D3's so i probably wont even connect the subs to the c52, they will be connected to the processor only for HT uses. I would like a sub for the gym, however, since my speakers in the gym will be smaller and not full range type speakers.

Would this work then with the c52?

Last edited by docmd2010; 10-09-2016 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:53 PM

one other question, where exactly (what jack) do you plug the subwoofer in the back of the C52?
Old 10-09-2016, 11:26 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
I mis-spoke. For the stereo in my home theater room, i have 802D3's so i probably wont even connect the subs to the c52, they will be connected to the processor only for HT uses. I would like a sub for the gym, however, since my speakers in the gym will be smaller and not full range type speakers.

Would this work then with the c52?
Quote:
one other question, where exactly (what jack) do you plug the subwoofer in the back of the C52?
docmd2010.......Okay, we're making progress. Under the condition you just outlined with no subwoofer connected to the C52 in the home theater here is how I would hook the two channel system and the gym. In the home theater I would feed the two channel amplifier from the C52 output labeled MAIN. That way the the home theater two channel system will always come on when you want it to, but you can manually turn off the amplifier for the two channel system when you only want the gym system on. The gym speakers amplifier would be fed from the C52's OUTPUT 1. The gym's powered subwoofer would be fed from the C52's OUTPUT 2 left and right channels. In this manner you can listen to the two channel system in the home theater by pressing the OUTPUT 1 & 2 buttons on the face of the C52 until the red LED's above each button are off. To turn on the gym system press the OUTPUT 1 & 2 buttons until the red LED's above each button are lit. Manually turn off the home theater amplifier if you do not want that part of the system on while you are in the gym.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 10-10-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:21 PM

I have Magnepan 1.7. I will get MA8000 for home testing.

How big difference there is in audio quality MA8000+D150+MCT450 versus C52+MC302+MCT450?

I was thinking about this, because there isn't so big price difference between these systems where I live.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:11 AM

I am new to this site as a member although I was reading posts as a guest whenever I needed help.
I have been using McIntosh 601 mono blocks with C2300'for over 2 years now. I sold my Ayre DAC recently so I wanted to buy a DAC and was looking for Exa Sound, Vega or T+A.
But after reading very positive comments on this web site about C52s DAC and Phono section I thought of upgrading my C2300 to c52. So I visited local importer and had a listen and did some more research on the web. Finally I traded my C2300 with C52.
After listening to the DAC and Phono section I am convinced these are terrific and better than my stand alone Lehman Black cube Phono and Ayre of Vega DACs.
For any one thinking of upgrading from C2300 to C52 I will say don't think any more go and buy it. C 2300 might have been a good pre amp when introduced. Also it is tube amp. so sound depends on quality of tube used. C52 is better as a preamplifier plus it has Phono and DAC which will beat stand alone Phono of 2 to 3K and DAC from 3 to 4K.
The best part is it doesn't sound as a bright solid state amp. It is warm and smooth so I don't miss my tubes in 2300. Also it mates so well with MC601.
So C52 + MC601 makes a terrific system just add speakers and source. It saves you on lots of unnecessary expensive cables
Old 11-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Default C52 Preamplifier

In my limited experience I thought McIntosh was know for classic vintage McIntosh sound warm and smooth and some what detailed not very clean and transparent. But with this C52 now it appears McIntosh have it all.
The sound is very dynamic clear and transparent not bright maintaining its warmth and huge sound stage.
Generally when Phono Stages and DACs are included in a pre amplifier or integrated amplifier they are considered as good value addition with decent performance.
But never I have heard an add on product to a preamplifier to be that good so as to challenge a stand alone high value high end DAC or Phono stage.
The DACs I have used or listen to are Calyx, Ayre, Vega and Exa 22.
And listening to C52 I can say that I am enjoying is more than all of them.
I wish McIntosh had implemented AISO for using it with HQPlayer software which I am using for listening to DSD and PCM upsampled to DSD 128 or 256.
The Phono section of C52 is better than my Lehman Decade which I purchased only 6 months back.