AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Tuners

Tuners FM, HD, Satellite

Old 10-09-2016, 06:08 AM
Semi-audiophile

Default Shipping Headaches

Last Saturday (10/1) I took the boxed-up MD90 to a FedEx location to return it to Magnum Dynalab. I signed some paperwork and off it went, or so I thought.

Thursday I came home to find a FedEx door tag. Not having ordered anything that I remembered, I went online to track it, and discovered that they're attempting to return the package to me, citing "improper or missing paperwork – inadequate descriptions" in the tracking info. Further, there was confusion regarding the shipping address—I had asked MD if I should use the address on the 102's box or is there another address, and was told to use the address on the box; that address is in Canada. That seemed to be part of the problem, so I called MD and spoke to Jim Richards. The proper address is in Buffalo NY. He thought that was on the label, apparently. He gave me the correct address and I called FedEx Thursday evening in an attempt to reroute the MD90.

Early Friday afternoon I followed up with FedEx and gave them the proper destination address and was told the package would be rerouted. I got home Friday and had a message from FedEx (probably from the LIC distribution center), left about an hour after the follow-up call I placed while at work, saying that there were no scans on the package and to call FedEx. I did that again, and was assured the package was being re-routed to the the proper address. Meantime, online tracking shows the third attempt at returning the package is set for tomorrow, 10/10. I plan to call FedEx in the AM and see where things are if the tracking info hasn't updated. My thought is to refuse the package if I'm here when they come and give the driver the same info I gave FedEx.

This is annoying. But, it seems there were missteps all around.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-10-2016, 02:21 PM
Semi-audiophile

I have been on the phone with FedEx again, following a third attempt to return the MD90 to me. After a long hold, someone in FedEx Ground is going to submit the new address info for the re-route, but does not guarantee it will be successful since they don’t change international addresses usually. If it doesn’t go through, the package will end up coming back to me again. This is frustrating, I admit. But we’ll see what happens.

I need to find out if starting over means I'd have to pay again. I hope not; I'd have a problem with that.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......You may end up having to pay to reship the tuner. It wasn't FedEx's fault the wrong address was put on the shipment.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......You may end up having to pay to reship the tuner. It wasn't FedEx's fault the wrong address was put on the shipment.
The address isn't the reason for the problem, actually. I called FedEx soon after that post. The apparent problem is an inadequate description of the box's contents. The tracking information said there was "improper or missing paperwork" and "inadequate description." I don't know what the paperwork issue is—I got no explanation from FedEx—but I did have trouble getting the clerk to understand what an "FM tuner" is when I shipped the MD90; whatever he wrote on the label was insufficient, obviously. I gave that info to the last rep I spoke to today (I spoke to four in all), who made the notation of what's in the box.

As for the address, that is indeed a communication failure between MD and me. I asked if I should use the return address on the box or is there another one I should use instead, and was instructed to use the one on the box, which is the Canada address; that's what I used. It didn't occur to me or Mr. Richards to verify, unfortunately. Implicit in my question is the assumption he knows what the label says (in fact, his name's on the label as addressee); his reply assumes the Buffalo address is on the return label (it wasn't). The Buffalo address is what MD uses for shipping things to/from the States, apparently, and they have a shipping agency there that they use. Nevertheless, both the MD90 and MD102 boxes have the Canada return address.

So yes, I have a problem with paying twice to ship the MD90 off, but that's mitigated by having a better understanding of what's going on and why. I'd still like to know what the paperwork issue is, though. I don't know if there was something else I should have been filling out, or if the FedEx location didn't do what it was supposed to. I signed some forms, but that's it. Anyway, things will be resolved one way or another.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Charles.......Where is the location of the tuner at this time?

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 10-11-2016, 06:43 AM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Charles.......Where is the location of the tuner at this time?
FedEx Ground still has it, apparently. Using the tracking number, I get two paths: one says another return attempt will be made today; the other says simply, "In Transit." Using the door tag number, that second path doesn't come up. I'd need to call FedEx again and ask what the status is so I know what to do if the package shows up here and I'm home, whether to refuse because it's still being rerouted or accept it because the reroute failed.

FedEx said they would get in touch with me if necessary more than once in this process. I've not heard from them; I've had to call to find out what is happening. A bit of petulance had me thinking that if I get the MD90 back I'd take it to UPS instead, or at least not to the FedEx location I used initially.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:24 AM
Semi-audiophile

UPDATE: After a 42-minute call to FedEx a short time ago, I learned the FedEx Ground center in Long Island City (Queens) is attempting to contact the driver and pull the MD90 off the truck, and re-label the MD90 for Buffalo. If the driver shows up here, I'm advised to accept the package and then call the Customer Advocacy unit to discuss options. I have a contact there to ask for.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:49 PM
Semi-audiophile

Today I received an update e-mail from FedEx, that the MD90 was indeed delivered to Speed Global Services in Buffalo. It should make it to Magnum Dynalab soon. There were some really helpful people along the way the last day or two, and I'm grateful for their service.

Now I know how this works if I want to send the MD102 in as a trade toward that MD105. For now, it looks like I can get back to working with/on the 102.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:40 PM
Semi-audiophile

Having lived with the MD 102 for a while, I can say it's a good-sounding, solid tuner. Once in a while I think it would be nice to have AM also, but that doesn't morph into anything. My main option regarding AM would be the McIntosh MR87, I guess.

Following the recent change in power cords on my C2300 to a Transparent High Performance (HPPC), I'm wondering about changing out the interconnects on the MD102, from Kimber Hero to Transparent Plus. An obscure question, perhaps, but does anyone here have experience with Kimber and Transparent ICs on their MD tuner? And if so, which brand worked best for you. This doesn't have to be strictly Hero vs. Plus ICs, but any Kimber or Transparent model used and what the impressions were. The more info I can gather, the easier a decision will be. My general thought is the Plus might be a bit smoother.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:30 AM
Semi-audiophile

A question. I'm thinking of an upgrade to the coax cable I use on my MD102/Day-Sequerra combo. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a well-shielded 75-ohm cable? I'm looking at Blue Jean Cables right now. Decent flexibility would be nice.

I don't know if it's necessary, but I'm also thinking about routing the cable to my power conditioner and then to the tuner, in case that might clean up the signal a bit. So I'd be looking at two cables: one about 12–15ft., the other 6ft.

Thanks for any suggestions out there.