AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
Hello All
OK, I am set for a GS150 demo starting on Saturday...I will be turning in my Ref75se for a transformer hum, that's under warranty, I'll get to use the amp while my Ref75se is at ARC..I'll keep you posted...My dealer has offered a good trade in deal if I like it, so we will see!
Pete,

I have a sneaky suspicion that you might end up keeping the GS150. The good thing is the trade in allowance. That amp was auditioned several times by me when I was purchasing my Wilson speakers. It is a great sounding amplifier.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Hello All
OK, I am set for a GS150 demo starting on Saturday...I will be turning in my Ref75se for a transformer hum, that's under warranty, I'll get to use the amp while my Ref75se is at ARC..I'll keep you posted...My dealer has offered a good trade in deal if I like it, so we will see!
I suspect you will end up with the GS150 and never look back! It truly is amazing !!
Old 10-14-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elem79 View Post
I suspect you will end up with the GS150 and never look back! It truly is amazing !!
Then why are you selling your GS150?
Old 10-15-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngale1 View Post
Then why are you selling your GS150?
That's a fair question. I am still very much conflicted about the sale of my GS150 and I'm not entirely sure I'm making the right decision. The GS150 has a very seductive, smooth and full sound with imaging to die for and a massive sound stage like no other amp I've heard period.

With that said, my speakers are Acoustic Zen Crescendo and the same amplifiers that Robert Lee uses with them at all his shows were presented to me at deal I could not refuse. The amplifiers are the Triode TRX-M845 monos. An entirely diffent design than the GS150.

Comparing these two amps I could live with either one for the rest of my life and never look back.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:24 PM

"The GS150 has a very seductive, smooth and full sound with imaging to die for and a massive sound stage like no other amp I've heard period. "

I've had a couple of hours with this amp and I agree completely with your statement. The sound is beautiful at all volume levels. I've pushed it hard and it never disappointed me. It is a tad less "Tubey" sounding than the 75se and has more power. The bass is more controlled lean and tight compared to the Ref75se. I'll have the amp while the Ref75se is in service. There's a strong possibility that I'll be writing a check to keep it in my system. Ugh more money. Ugh. But this should finish out my system.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:06 PM

"But this should finish out my system..."

Famous last words!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
"The GS150 has a very seductive, smooth and full sound with imaging to die for and a massive sound stage like no other amp I've heard period. "

I've had a couple of hours with this amp and I agree completely with your statement. The sound is beautiful at all volume levels. I've pushed it hard and it never disappointed me. It is a tad less "Tubey" sounding than the 75se and has more power. The bass is more controlled lean and tight compared to the Ref75se. I'll have the amp while the Ref75se is in service. There's a strong possibility that I'll be writing a check to keep it in my system. Ugh more money. Ugh. But this should finish out my system.
Some find the REF75 to be the amp to have. Looking at the specs it sure should be more traditional tube sounding that its big brothers. I guess it's apples to oranges, which sound you prefer.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:21 PM

Well I have spent about 5 days with the Gs150 so far. It is a wonderful amp full of power and grace. It excels when being pushed. I have not had it misbehave at all. The demo unit has 150 hours on it, paired with my Ref5se and Esoteric K03x. The soundstage seems wider. The sound is smooth and the bass is tight. I'm really liking this amp over the Ref75se. I'll have the amp as a loaner, until the Ref75 se comes back or I decide to buy it. I'm leaning towards keeping it.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Well I have spent about 5 days with the Gs150 so far. It is a wonderful amp full of power and grace. It excels when being pushed. I have not had it misbehave at all. The demo unit has 150 hours on it, paired with my Ref5se and Esoteric K03x. The soundstage seems wider. The sound is smooth and the bass is tight. I'm really liking this amp over the Ref75se. I'll have the amp as a loaner, until the Ref75 se comes back or I decide to buy it. I'm leaning towards keeping it.
Your Gs150 result is not surprising with your TOUGH to drive speakers. I have a large room and would never consider a tube amp with the Salons.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:17 AM

IMG_1477405021.113553.jpg

Gs150 looking good and sounding good in my room. Might be a keeper[emoji848]