AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 10-04-2014, 01:33 AM

Thanks for the great advice and words of encouragement. You all are a wealth of information, and my transition to the big leagues has been very much helped by many of you in this forum!

My Bryston 14B is definately powerful, but as some have stated in other threads they may sound bright or thin and I don't want to stifle the what I'll have going with the preamp and speakers, so the bryston is likely out...was thinking of the Ref150, but may stay solid state...that will be a decison made in the spring, with some help from my AA friends!...Yes Revels first and amp second, -message received!

My Salks are great, and really, I have no issue with them, other than I believe the revels spanked them (in the showroom, in a smallish room, nearfield listening with all that top notch gear connected)...which is why I have to do an in home demo to see if that performance is that much better when directly compared to my existing speakers..

Glad to hear that I'm on a good upgrade track. The Revels, although highly regarded, seem that they are not as popular or in the forums as much as the other big names...

Ritmo, I see you had Revels and now Wilsons, could you share some comparisons with them?..Initally I thought I'd go the Wilson route, as many have done here...frankly the Sophias would be the highest I could go, and that would be pushing it, so for my dollar and ear, I thought these Revels would do the trick...But I am a tad, "Wilsoncurious"...

The grand in home demo test will take place in December, and I'll keep you all posted.. Thanks again, Pete
Old 10-04-2014, 01:51 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
Thanks for the great advice and words of encouragement. You all are a wealth of information, and my transition to the big leagues has been very much helped by many of you in this forum!

My Bryston 14B is definately powerful, but as some have stated in other threads they may sound bright or thin and I don't want to stifle the what I'll have going with the preamp and speakers, so the bryston is likely out...was thinking of the Ref150, but may stay solid state...that will be a decison made in the spring, with some help from my AA friends!...Yes Revels first and amp second, -message received!

My Salks are great, and really, I have no issue with them, other than I believe the revels spanked them (in the showroom, in a smallish room, nearfield listening with all that top notch gear connected)...which is why I have to do an in home demo to see if that performance is that much better when directly compared to my existing speakers..

Glad to hear that I'm on a good upgrade track. The Revels, although highly regarded, seem that they are not as popular or in the forums as much as the other big names...

Ritmo, I see you had Revels and now Wilsons, could you share some comparisons with them?..Initally I thought I'd go the Wilson route, as many have done here...frankly the Sophias would be the highest I could go, and that would be pushing it, so for my dollar and ear, I thought these Revels would do the trick...But I am a tad, "Wilsoncurious"...

The grand in home demo test will take place in December, and I'll keep you all posted.. Thanks again, Pete
You owe it to yourself to listen to some Wilson Sophias. I love mine. Mike (Ritmo) gave you some sage advice: pick your speakers first, then pick an amp. And remember when doing quickie auditions in show rooms, they always play loud (you often hear louder as better) and may not be using gear like yours. Home auditions are hard to wrangle, but your gear, in your room, with your music, at your volume for a long enough time to really listen is really the best way to figure out what you like. In the end, that is the only right answer - what you like. Be sure to report your impressions when you test in December.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:51 AM

Lots of good options in the $20K price point. You haven't mentioned the size of the room.

To this day, the Salon 2s are a terrific speaker. Musica land dynamic. Will play just about any type of music well. You can get a slightly used pair in beautiful shape for between $10 -12K. At this price point, they are a bargain.

I would absolutely keep the ARC 5SE. It is a great line stage. If you get the Salons, I would consider the Classe M-600s - I've heard this combo with the Ref 5SE. Also, the Pass (305.8 or even the 160.5/.8s) and Hegel (H30) work very well with this combo.

Regarding the difference between the Salons and the Alexias, it is significant; and it should be given the cost. The Alexias are more musical, more realistic and more detailed. Now, the Salons are no slouch. I could listen to them for hours.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:08 AM

I would also recommend you try a pair of Cary SA-500.1s. They are very powerful and quiet. I had them paired with my Ref 5 SE until very recently. They will drive anything.

But I agree with the others - speakers first!
Old 10-06-2014, 01:42 AM

Thanks for the advice! A Wilson dealer is light years from my home in Jacksonville Fl. I have to drive 90 miles as it is for my ARC/ revel dealer. I was considering Legacy Aeris but somehow it fell off my radar. The Bryston model T was also in the mix then I lost interest. Revel will go head to head with my $8000 Salks in December. I can't wait to hear that! My room is roughly 13X24. I am changing the look of the room a bit with a major remodel, but this is the way it looked before I tore things up.

I am going from a theater look to a full time 2 ch audio room. The screen and projector may or may not stay. It will depend on my new friend Bryan at GIK acoustics and the room acoustics!

I'll keep you all posted on the December shoot out. Pete

image-190997820.jpg

Last edited by jdandy; 10-07-2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Enlarge photo.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:52 AM

Really, a wilson dealer is that far? Sasha 2's will blow your mind! And they aren't much more than what you are paying for revel.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:30 AM

It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to West Palm Beach, and a 6 Hour Dr. to a Georgia store. It is a tad shorter than a light year, but it feels like a light year. Maybe I should think about a road trip in November!
Old 10-06-2014, 10:58 AM

A few things to consider from a Salon2 owner:

a) they are power pigs and if you listen at volumes in excess of 90dB then I don't see an ARC Reference 75 amp as a good match. Or the Ref 150, even. I've heard the Ref 150 with Wilson Sashas and thought that setup strained to reach concert volumes, and the Sasha is a more efficient speaker than the Salon 2.

b) Your room is sufficiently large to handle Salon 2s.

c) Wilson Sophia is a nice speaker, but Sasha or Sasha 2 would be a better match for your room size if you go the Wilson route.

d) Don't assume your Brystons will not be a good match with whatever speaker you end up with.

e) I can vouch along with Ritmo that the Salon 2 is an outstanding speaker. Due to the fact it's been around for 7 years it may not be the latest darling of the audiophile press, but I would still take it in a heartbeat over most of the newer "more revealing" stuff the writers are drooling over these days.

f) Even so, and even with the fact that you are already impressed with the Salon 2s, due diligence means measure sound twice, cut a check once! By that, I mean go hear as many speakers as possible in your price range before committing. The Audiogon speaker listings are full of folks who didn't do that and are paying a penalty through resale at a much lower price than what they paid for new product.

g) Speaking of which, if you shop used or demos too then your horizons will become much broader.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your search!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Source: Ayre C-5xeMP Pre-amp: Symphonic Line Erleuchtung (tube) Power Amp: Symphonic Line Kraft 250 Monos Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2s ICs, Speaker Cables and PCs: Furutech Power outlets: Furutech
Old 10-07-2014, 01:50 PM

" Even so, and even with the fact that you are already impressed with the Salon 2s, due diligence means measure sound twice, cut a check once! "

I love that. Yes I will check out a couple more speakers in my price range before cutting the check.

I'm hoping I can keep my Bryston for a while without having to replace it. It's powerful for sure. I hope it will not be too thin sounding or bright.

At the dealer the Salons were connected to a ref75. It sounded great. We both agreed that in a real world situation a bigger amp is necessary. I have my eyes on the used pair of Ref 250s for sale here on AA but I can't buy both at the same time. Who knows if it will be available when I can afford it. I'd planned on a new ref 150 but solid state is also on my radar.

Thanks for the great advice, as you can see I have some uncertainty with my upgrade and the responses here are very helpful. Pete
Old 10-08-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete6737 View Post
It's a 4 1/2 hour drive to West Palm Beach, and a 6 Hour Dr. to a Georgia store. It is a tad shorter than a light year, but it feels like a light year. Maybe I should think about a road trip in November!
Well if you go to WPB ask for Elliot, he is a good friend and he has them all setup for your listening pleasure. I believe he has them all with ARC and they sound great. I am sure he will give you a good deal. Tell him Howie sent you.