AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Pass Labs

Pass Labs 20 Years and Counting

Old 01-18-2014, 06:02 PM

Default Cable Suggestions for K-01/XP-30/XA-100.5/Salon 2

Hi Everyone,

I've been upgrading my system over the last several months and the Clear Light interconnects and speaker cables just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm now looking at upgrading my cables. I primarily listen to jazz vocals and small jazz combos. I prefer the midrange and treble to be smooth, warm and natural. Can anyone recommend some interconnects and speaker cables that meet these requirements and work well with the Pass XP-30 and XA-100.5?

Thanks so much,
Ken
Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan View Post
Hi Everyone, I've been upgrading my system over the last several months and the Clear Light interconnects and speaker cables just aren't cutting it anymore. I'm now looking at upgrading my cables. I primarily listen to jazz vocals and small jazz combos. I prefer the midrange and treble to be smooth, warm and natural. Can anyone recommend some interconnects and speaker cables that meet these requirements and work well with the Pass XP-30 and XA-100.5? Thanks so much, Ken
Awesome system, Ken. I look forward to finding out what cables you end up with.

I recommend you call The Cable Company and "borrow" some of their cables to try on your system. They'll recommend a few based on their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Old 01-18-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cma29 View Post
Awesome system, Ken. I look forward to finding out what cables you end up with.

I recommend you call The Cable Company and "borrow" some of their cables to try on your system. They'll recommend a few based on their experience.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado
Thanks Carlos!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 PM

Sablon Audio Panatela
Old 01-18-2014, 10:31 PM

I tell my system very similar to yours, so you can see the wires that I is giving me a great result! between my Esoteric K-01 and my pre Pass Labs XP-30 I use a pair of Transparent Reference XL, optimized for both teams and depends on the type of music I listen to change to a Kimber Select 1136 XLR, both leads are excellent, then between my pre Pass Labs XP-30 and my power Krell KAS-2, I use a XLR Purist Canorus between my Krell and my Wilson Watt Puppy 8 I use a Transparent Reference XL, and another cable I use is a Purist Canorus BNC between my Esoteric K-01 and the clock Esoteric G-03X, use power cables Purist Limited Edition, Furutech Powerflux and Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron for Triton.
Any questions ask me.
Best Regards
Old 01-19-2014, 11:31 AM

Ken, I also have Pass gear (XA160.5, XP20, XP25) and use an entire suite of Transparent Audio REF XL, balanced cables. It is all configured for my specific components and sounds great. You can find my review on Audiogon and on WhatsBestForum. But basically, the REF XL has lots of detail, extension in the highs and lows, has a neutral tonal balance, and very natural timbre. No frequency is emphasized. They really brought out the best of the rest of my system after I had done some upgrades.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Molina View Post
I tell my system very similar to yours, so you can see the wires that I is giving me a great result! between my Esoteric K-01 and my pre Pass Labs XP-30 I use a pair of Transparent Reference XL, optimized for both teams and depends on the type of music I listen to change to a Kimber Select 1136 XLR, both leads are excellent, then between my pre Pass Labs XP-30 and my power Krell KAS-2, I use a XLR Purist Canorus between my Krell and my Wilson Watt Puppy 8 I use a Transparent Reference XL, and another cable I use is a Purist Canorus BNC between my Esoteric K-01 and the clock Esoteric G-03X, use power cables Purist Limited Edition, Furutech Powerflux and Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron for Triton.
Any questions ask me.
Best Regards
Thanks Adrian! It sounds like you've experimented with a lot of different cables and found what sounds best. I agree with you that the XP-30 is so resolving, you can hear exactly what interconnects are between it and the K-01. Did you find these interconnects (Transparent Reference XL) were the most difficult to decide upon?

Best,
Ken
Old 01-19-2014, 02:37 PM

PeterA,

Great information. I had been looking at those same cables. I would love to know what cables you upgraded from and how significant the improvements were from the Transparent XL's. Also did you look at any other Transparent cables?

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlexibleAudio View Post
PeterA,

Great information. I had been looking at those same cables. I would love to know what cables you upgraded from and how significant the improvements were from the Transparent XL's. Also did you look at any other Transparent cables?

Thanks,
I upgraded from Harmonic Technology Magic ICs and Plus 9+ speaker cables. The improvement was significant across the board. The HT cables had the same kind of overall balance but were not as extended or detailed, so tonal density and timbral accuracy improved by quite a bit, as well as extension.

I also compared MIT Matrix 90 speaker cables but the highs and lows sounded very accentuated while the mids seamed recessed. The MIT dealer would also not allow me to audition a full suite of cables. Transparent built me an entire suite custom configured for my component specifications and let me break them in for two weeks and then listen for another two weeks. That service plus the sonics resulted in an easy decision to buy, thought they are quite expensive.

I don't have much experience with different cables, but like most components, it is very difficult to audition these things in your own system and that is really the only way to know what you will get. That's important at these prices.

If considering Transparent Audio, I understand the MM2 versions which are current are considerably better than the MM1 which is obtainable used on Audiogon quite regularly. One criticism is that if you then later audition new components, the cables should be reconfigured for the new gear for a proper audition and this may be inconvenient.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:25 PM

Very helpful Peter.

Thanks much, Paul