AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Revel Speakers

Revel Speakers The Science of Sound

Old 11-28-2012, 11:33 AM

Default Revel Ultima Salon 2/Marantz MA9S2?

To those in the know....since the Revel's sensitivity is only about 86, could these monoblocks do them justice? Does anyone think that I would really want to get something different for power or perhaps double down and buy a couple more amps and try to bi-amp the speakers? Would I need another SC7S2?

I suspect that the amps could push them fine but I wonder about the limitations that high volumne listening would induce upon the amps in general.

Curious at this stage. Prices are coming down and I suspect if Marantz introduces new reference gear, more MA9S2 may appear on the used market.

Speculation, I know.

Thanks to all who post.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1120s View Post
To those in the know....since the Revel's sensitivity is only about 86, could these monoblocks do them justice? Does anyone think that I would really want to get something different for power or perhaps double down and buy a couple more amps and try to bi-amp the speakers? Would I need another SC7S2?

I suspect that the amps could push them fine but I wonder about the limitations that high volumne listening would induce upon the amps in general.

Curious at this stage. Prices are coming down and I suspect if Marantz introduces new reference gear, more MA9S2 may appear on the used market.

Speculation, I know.

Thanks to all who post.
I owned the Salon 2's. If I was buying amps today for Salon 2's I would buy Classe CA-M600's, McIntosh 1.2kw or the Pass x600.5's (a pair just went up for sale here on AA).

I think 750 watts @ 4 ohms is the minimum for the Salon 2's and quite honestly I would suggest staying north of 1kw. I know there are some here who would disagree, but I found the more juice you give the Salon 2's, the more they ate and the better they sounded.

If you need cheap power - then the Anthem M1's are worth a look. The reviews aren't stellar though - however, we do have a user here on AA who has the Salon 2's and Anthem M1's and liked it a lot on the Salon 2's. That being said, he is upgrading to the Classe CA-M600's. His username is MDP - maybe you can talk to him about his M1's?

Great speakers by the way! I loved mine when I had them.

Mike
Old 11-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......Good advice. One thing is certain, you learned 300 watts per channel doesn't cut it with the Salon 2's.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Mike.......Good advice. One thing is certain, you learned 300 watts per channel doesn't cut it with the Salon 2's.
That is good advice. However, the Marantz amps 'double down' with the wattage based on loads(as I understand it). So, since the Revels are rated 6 ohms nominal, would that not mean the Marantz may be generating roughly 450 wpc+/1 giving the load it is pushing?

I had a feeling the speakers could absorb a lot of power, hence my question.

Thanks to all.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
I think 750 watts @ 4 ohms is the minimum for the Salon 2's and quite honestly I would suggest staying north of 1kw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

Would you guys stop already with this "not enough power for the salons" talk? You are really starting to make me feel insecure with my measely 400 wpc MC452 Do I really need more power for the Salons?

Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 11-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post
Would you guys stop already with this "not enough power for the salons" talk? You are really starting to make me feel insecure with my measely 400 wpc MC452 Do I really need more power for the Salons?

Do I hear dual MC452's?
Old 11-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

Jeff.......I own a MC452 and can tell you it is one powerful two channel amplifier. I believe you meant to say it puts our 450 watts per channel, not 400, but that's only part of the story. The MC452 can easily deliver 650 watts per channel on peaks with out breaking a sweat or flickering the Power Guard lights. The MC452 is the perfect place to be with the Salon 2's unless your typical listening level consistently approaches stadium rock concert levels. You have no reason to be nervous about anything.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM

Thank you Dan! I feel much better now.

And Joe? You are my neighbor! You're supposed to tell me it's OK, just like Dan, lol.
Speakers: Canton Ref K3
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM

Here is a pic I took when I had my 601"s easily pumping 450 watts thru my Kefs and the amps still sounded amazing and the amp could easily do more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-4247408335.jpg (27.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad
Thank you Dan! I feel much better now.

And Joe? You are my neighbor! You're supposed to tell me it's OK, just like Dan, lol.
It's ok! Dan is right, that 452 is woefully under rated. Like the 601's too.

Dan is right, the 2301's are awesome and they sounded sweet on the Salon 2's, but those Salon 2's of mine were power hungry!!