AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > PS Audio

PS Audio Delivering the experience since 1974

Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 PM

Default Power Plant Premier mini-review.

I've done this a while back on AK so I figured I'll bring it on over so maybe others can benefit from it here.

The PS Audio PPP has arrived.

There was a nagging question in my mind to see what the effects of truly clean AC would be on the system. What's wrong with the RGPC gear (600S/Pole Pig)? Nothing wrong per say, it added a wonderful benefit to my system. I've experienced an increase in micro and macro dynamics, the background noise level went significantly down, blacker blacks and the ground loop hum I had was gone. Still, the question was, is a purified AC better, the same or worse than a "regenerated AC".

The differences between the RGPC and PPP are obvious, one is a power conditioner, the other is an AC regenerator. One purifies and filters the ripples and noise spikes riding on AC waveform, the other takes the dirty AC and creates a completely new, fresh AC wave for you gear to draw from.

I started out the comparison by listening to RGPC setup the way I have it to have a fresh reference point. I then unplugged the RGPC and plugged all my gear into my dedicated line with a multi receptacle extension cord with 501s going to the wall sockets directly. Again, the background noise level went up, the soundstage was no longer as transparent, blacks or the "silence between the notes" that leave nothing but the sense of acoustical space were no longer black, they were gray. There was a slight hum coming from the speakers. The micro and macro dynamics were now squashed. Mid and upper bass became sloppier, midrange and especially vocals were noticeably rougher sounding. The highs took on that glassy, harsher character. The brass lost its shimmer and glow.

With the PPP in the system, I familiarized myself with the different options available from both the remote control and the front panel.

I do have to back up a bit at this point, of course the curiosity in me got the best of me once I saw that the PPP offers the information on AC in, AC out and more importantly the THD (total harmonic distortion of AC) both in and out. After unplugging the RGPC, I took the PPP around the house to see if the THD display may be a hoax??? I would have been skeptical if the THD was the same all throughout the house. No, the THD levels and even the voltage levels were different on different wall sockets with repeatable and consistent results of trying a few times, just to see if I can confuse the PPP. The THD levels fluctuated between .9% and 2.4% at different locations. Can't fool this sucker.

Now, of course I just had to see what would happen if I plugged the PPP into the RGPC gear.... Interesting results. With the RGPC 600s, the THD remained the same at .9%. With the Pole Pig, both by itself and in combination with the 600S, the THD, was a whopping 2.9%... More on this later.

Now to the listening part.

The PPP plugged in, all the gear plugged in their own respective power banks which are supposedly isolated from each other with IsoZones that use the inductors built from Nano-Crystalline strips with high permeability soft magnetic material and provide magnetic filtering.

Gear warmed up for 20 minutes and I sat down to listen. Voltage in 118, voltage out a steady 120, AC THD 2.4% coming in, .3% coming out to the gear. (Strangely enough, my dedicated line in my listening rooms had one of the worst THD readings? 2.4% THD. Maybe my electrician screwed up, I'll have to have a talk with him ).

The first thing that struck me was the difference in the overall presentation with the PPP vs RGPC. Playing familiar tracks of various recordings, the macro dynamics and transients, specifically leading edge and the "attack" was much more pronounced with the PPP. The PPP is quite a bit different I thought, the RGPC had a pronounced effect but not to this level.

The initial reaction was as if the resolution of the system went up a few notches and a few thin veils were removed. As I listened more, the new level of resolution persisted. The system sounds quite a bit more resolving and dynamic. This in itself is not always a great thing, it can be fatiguing in the long run. Here is the real kicker though, all that resolution and no fatigue after a few hours of listening... More listening time needed but so far I like what I hear a lot. There is a sense of homogeneity to the sound, there is "more" but that "more" is also very natural sounding. No edginess to the highs, they shimmer and glow, bass is nice and tight with the same definition and resolution. Kick drum has the deep, involving impact, drum heads skin resonate with every stroke, midrange is wonderful, violins are sweet and seductive, voices are expressive and emotional.

If I had to sum it up, there is an increased level of resolution, the harmonics are accentuated but none of this causes any edginess or fatigue. It's almost like having your cake and eating it too. I would imagine the pure AC sinewave really does bring out the best of the gear and the recording, you hear what you were intended to hear from both the gear and the recording.

So how does it compare to RGPC? I plugged the RGPC gear back in and I am still listening but this "older sound" is a bit more familiar to me since I've spent so much time listening to RGPC before.

The best way to describe it would be that although the RGPC increases dynamics, it is still a bit laid back by comparison. The RGPC has a slightly darker overall presentation, there is more emphasis on the overall acoustical space, you hear a little deeper into the soundstage.

I'd say the blacks are a little blacker, there is absolutely no hum with the RGPC, there was a tiny, tiny bit with the PPP from the left speaker, barely detectible by putting the ear right next to the speaker. The soundstage is a little more back, you are sitting a few rows further from the center stage.

So the two are a bit different, the PPP has more of hi-fi'ish effect on the system, the RGPC, more of a laid back presentation and effect on the system. Think Mark Levinson vs Krell "house sounds" here and you will understand the approximate difference between the two.

There is enough difference between the two where one can easily tweak the system one way or the other to their advantage.

There are a few things that PPP has to offer such as a "clean wave" de-gaussing wave that is to be used once in while. There is also a Multi-Wave that extends the peaks of the AC coming out to "deep charge" the capacitors, acting like a bigger power reserve. I will need to spend more time to see what they offer.

I am definitely keeping both, never know when one needs to tweak the system and which way. One thing for sure, either one completely smokes the untreated power approach, even with the dedicated power line that turned out to be extremely noisy in my own room.

The "noisy THD" Pole Pig has me puzzled at this point but can't argue the fact that it does isolate my front end better, there was absolutely no hum with it and a tiny bit of background noise with the PPP probably due to a ground loop that is much more pronounced with no power conditioning in the system. What really has me curious now is what my electrician did with my dedicated line that he charged me good money for.

Video of Paul McGowan explaining the PPP. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL1Wjeq7eHY
Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM

Here is a follow up I did a week later.

It's been over a week and the PS Audio PPP has been burning in over a week straight. I've commented on the original thread that I've noticed a new found level of resolution and bolder dynamics. I've also mentioned that only time would tell if this will be a big plus or somewhat of a minus in terms of listening fatigue.

I am happy to report that the unit has burned in nicely and I really like the effects that "regenerated AC" has on my system. There is a definite increase in resolution through lower level noise floor. The subtle "acoustical space" spatial information is more profound. The subtle reverberations of the recording space are now clearer, allowing me to hear deeper into the recording. The dynamics, both macro and micro are also improved. Trailing edge transients now fade into the black and seem to linger longer as they fade away. The leading edge transients are sharper with more impact and magnitude. Vocals also benefit with more "wind from the windpipe" when the performers take a breath.

There are obvious benefits from the lack of voltage fluctuations, ripples and noise riding on the AC. I'd say pretty much all the parameters have improved. I can't comment on the bass as I have the 2 subs and they are not plugged into the PPP. I'd say my most favorite end result of adding the PPP is the more enthusiastic but totally smooth and harmonically rich presentation. The way it is meant to be. Big thumbs up for PPP!
Old 04-11-2009, 03:06 PM

Serge,

Has the positive experience been mirrored by all the different preamps you have sitting around at the moment??
Old 04-11-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiebrou View Post
Serge,

Has the positive experience been mirrored by all the different preamps you have sitting around at the moment??
The Lamm and McIntosh benefited more than Ayre. What is also weird is that Lamm preamp did not want to play nice with the MDA1000 at all having a persistent and annoying ground loop. I had to separate them through the use of both PPP and a Pole Pig.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Quick question serge, if you had say an RGPC1200C and the PPP, in what order would you use both together? RGPC->PPP->Equip, or PPP->RGPC->Equip?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Quick question serge, if you had say an RGPC1200C and the PPP, in what order would you use both together? RGPC->PPP->Equip, or PPP->RGPC->Equip?
In my not overly demanding setup, I have not noticed an appreciable difference with using both the PPP and RGPC together other than the Pole Pig helping with a very stubborn ground loop with the Lamm preamp. For the most part with the PPP feeding your gear clean A/C, it is game over!
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Media Server Aficionado

Yeah but how to you plug it in? PPP->RGPC or RGPC->PPP?
Old 04-11-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvius View Post
Yeah but how to you plug it in? PPP->RGPC or RGPC->PPP?
In my case PPP->Pole Pig->Lamm LL2 and everything else to PPP.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Media Server Aficionado

OK, that is what I thought.