AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > General Speaker Discussion

General Speaker Discussion Calling all Speakers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-19-2018, 12:36 PM
metaphacts's Avatar
metaphacts metaphacts is offline
Lower Provo River, UT
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Springville, Utah
Posts: 4,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
Thanks for the read permission. I originally read this some time ago. It is certainly illuminating to apply its tenets to many of the industry successions/acquisitions over the time since the article was written.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2018, 01:08 AM
doggiehowser's Avatar
doggiehowser doggiehowser is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,839
Default

Thanks nicoff. Good read.
__________________
AcousSignThunderTA5000PurpleHeartNS WandMasterPearwoodII PSA DSD BHK ThielCS3.7SS2.2
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-23-2018, 12:01 AM
nicoff nicoff is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
Thanks nicoff. Good read.

You are welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-14-2018, 05:52 PM
FreddieFerric's Avatar
FreddieFerric FreddieFerric is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: NOLA
Posts: 56
Default

Very sad to read of Theil's demise. I had sort of figuted they'd be in for some tough sledding after Jim's passing, but to sell out to investors who had zero experience in audio or technology was sort of suicide.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-14-2018, 10:43 PM
godwinaj's Avatar
godwinaj godwinaj is online now
Hi-Fi Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Rural cornfields of Ohio
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Very sad to read of Theil's demise. I had sort of figuted they'd be in for some tough sledding after Jim's passing, but to sell out to investors who had zero experience in audio or technology was sort of suicide.
Brand suicide is exactly what I would call it.

Their *NEW* products were nothing close to what made Thiel special. I always wanted a set of CS3.7. But I'd only seen them in 2 places a dealer in Cincinnati and at CES. The time I saw them at CES it was the Bryston booth that had them hooked to their Amps.
__________________
Main System - Focal Aria 936 Sim Audio 330A | 350P | 280D VPI Scout Jr Ortofon Blue Nordost Red Dawn Speaker/Interconnects
Bedroom - Dynaudio Special 40 Rotel RA-1592 Straightwire Rhapsody S
Office - Focal Aria 905 PS Audio Sprout Rega P3 w/Bias 2
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:24 PM
audioguy3107's Avatar
audioguy3107 audioguy3107 is offline
Save Ferris


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
Brand suicide is exactly what I would call it.

Their *NEW* products were nothing close to what made Thiel special. I always wanted a set of CS3.7. But I'd only seen them in 2 places a dealer in Cincinnati and at CES. The time I saw them at CES it was the Bryston booth that had them hooked to their Amps.
I listened to the 3.7s back when they were new, a fantastic loudspeaker to be sure. I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair when my Avalons came up for sale. They were very natural and reall y got out of the way of the music. Itís also a testament to them for how few you see come up for sale on the secondhand market.

- Buck
__________________
Library: Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Vision, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics B2 Amplification: McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC 402 amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:53 PM
godwinaj's Avatar
godwinaj godwinaj is online now
Hi-Fi Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Rural cornfields of Ohio
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I listened to the 3.7s back when they were new, a fantastic loudspeaker to be sure. I was close to pulling the trigger on a pair when my Avalons came up for sale. They were very natural and reall y got out of the way of the music. Itís also a testament to them for how few you see come up for sale on the secondhand market.

- Buck
IIRC they were built like tanks. Ogled them often when I was demoing and buying my B&W 703 back in the day.

Maybe the few we do see on the secondhand market will come down in price since there isn't a place to get parts or service anymore.
__________________
Main System - Focal Aria 936 Sim Audio 330A | 350P | 280D VPI Scout Jr Ortofon Blue Nordost Red Dawn Speaker/Interconnects
Bedroom - Dynaudio Special 40 Rotel RA-1592 Straightwire Rhapsody S
Office - Focal Aria 905 PS Audio Sprout Rega P3 w/Bias 2
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-14-2018, 11:59 PM
audioguy3107's Avatar
audioguy3107 audioguy3107 is offline
Save Ferris


 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinaj View Post
IIRC they were built like tanks. Ogled them often when I was demoing and buying my B&W 703 back in the day.

Maybe the few we do see on the secondhand market will come down in price since there isn't a place to get parts or service anymore.
I havenít been keeping much track of the Thiel situation in detail.....
Is there any support for owners going forward or are they totally out of luck once something goes south?

- Buck
__________________
Library: Speakers: Avalon Eidolon Vision, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics B2 Amplification: McIntosh C2300 preamp, McIntosh MC 402 amplifier Digital: Ayre C-5xeMP SACD/DVD audio player. Analog: VPI Classic Signature, Dynavector XX2 mkII cartridge. Phono Preamp: Audio Research Ref 2 SE
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-15-2018, 12:04 AM
godwinaj's Avatar
godwinaj godwinaj is online now
Hi-Fi Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Rural cornfields of Ohio
Posts: 104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I havenít been keeping much track of the Thiel situation in detail.....
Is there any support for owners going forward or are they totally out of luck once something goes south?

- Buck
Maybe someone else knows a source. But this is what you get when you go to the website.

__________________
Main System - Focal Aria 936 Sim Audio 330A | 350P | 280D VPI Scout Jr Ortofon Blue Nordost Red Dawn Speaker/Interconnects
Bedroom - Dynaudio Special 40 Rotel RA-1592 Straightwire Rhapsody S
Office - Focal Aria 905 PS Audio Sprout Rega P3 w/Bias 2
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 AM
doggiehowser's Avatar
doggiehowser doggiehowser is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,839
Default

The guy who used to run Thielís service department has bought over the rights to service the Classic Thiel speakers - is not the PSB speakers masquerading as Thiels.

So good news.

Heís also working on special edition upgrades to the Classic speakers. Might be interesting.
__________________
AcousSignThunderTA5000PurpleHeartNS WandMasterPearwoodII PSA DSD BHK ThielCS3.7SS2.2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 AM.

Follow @AudioAficionado
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2017 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Fortress
Fortress
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Sound Anchors
Sound Anchors
Audeze
Audeze
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Acoustic Sciences Corportation
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase