AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson Sound that Speaks for Itself

Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Retired

Default No. 383

In my 45yr+ of this hobby I've not owned a single piece of Mark Levinson gear. So.......... while dropping off some gear I had recently sold I picked up a No.383 integrated amp (125wpc) to see what all the hoopla is about. I've always been impressed with ML gear, just never owned any. If it performs as good as it reviews I may have to get a matching transport. Will post a pic or two when I get it all "arranged".
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-18-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:35 PM

Sexy!!

Old 05-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Retired

That is very nice, but also very different, compared to my No.383, below. One big reason so many new integrated amps fail (not literally, but are not what I want) IMHO, is they include (as do the latest from ML) an inboard DAC and/or phono-stage, which I do not want. The No.383 is an integrated amp. No unwanted DAC.

After an hour of serious listening I can hear what all the ML hoopla might be about. Great balance from bottom to top with excellent detail. The detail comes without grain or blare, which I will describe as being very "lyrical" (lots of PRaT), for lack of a better term. Will report more after a longer listening session with various genre of music. One physical attribute I really appreciate are the speaker terminals. While a bit 'crowded' back there since I'm running two sets of speaker cables (a true bi-wire), the ability to tighten by hand makes fitting everything together very convenient.

Almost forgot the downside..................... manouvering a 65# piece of gear down the stairs and onto the shelf by oneself. Slow and easy does it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg No. 383.jpg (66.4 KB, 300 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 06-12-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:11 AM

Congrats on a great integrated! I too like my digital separate. All too often the digital that comes built in is no where near as good as what we will typically pair with a device of this caliber. Enjoy!

George
Old 05-18-2019, 03:20 PM
Retired

Thank you. Can say without reservation that my current system has never sounded as good. Has become one of those "why did I wait so long (to try Mark Levininson gear)". moments.

Its interesting that I find that I seem to be turning up the volume more with the 383 than before. Wonder why this might be? Wife notices, as well, unfortunately. Think its time for her to go visit the grandkids or something like that.

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 05-18-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:42 PM

nice piece of kit Glenn. As for the built in DAC, I suppose it's all part of the 'all inclusive integrated' approach. So long as it can be bypassed, plenty of input options, than no worries
Old 05-18-2019, 08:24 PM
Retired

If done like Accuphase, plug-in slot, so easily up-dated (DAC technology changes pretty quickly), or Bryston, don't have to purchase if not wanted, then not a problem. But, if like most, one is given no choice. Mainly I don't like to pay for something I don't want.
Old 05-18-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Thank you. Can say without reservation that my current system has never sounded as good. Has become one of those "why did I wait so long (to try Mark Levininson gear)". moments.

Its interesting that I find that I seem to be turning up the volume more with the 383 than before. Wonder why this might be? Wife notices, as well, unfortunately. Think its time for her to go visit the grandkids or something like that.
As I’ve improved my system over the past few years I too have noticed the volume creeping up a little. For me as the system improvements have led to less fatiguing sound the higher volume really doesn’t sound so much louder as much as it just sounds more like ‘live’ music at realistic volumes. The Levinson you acquired definitely is very refined and not fatiguing in any way so be forewarned the volume may keep inching up as things get better! Enjoy!

George
Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM
Retired

After a couple of weeks with the 383 I'll say it is the most relaxed yet the most musical piece of gear I've owned. It seems it do everything so effortlessly, for lack of a better term. Am going to have to upgrade my CDP to take advantage of the balanced inputs.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:45 PM

Congrats on a great amp!