AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 05-10-2018, 11:22 PM

Default Do you connect your Oppo to TV or processor?

I have been connecting my Oppo 205 directly to TV, and using its analog audio outputs to feed Parasound P7 preamp. Now I plan to add more speakers to my system, so I’m considering a change.

I own an old Marantz 8801 processor, which supports 11.2 and 4K. I think I have two options:
OP1 - connect Oppo to TV for video; connect Oppo to Marantz (HDMI) for audio.
OP2 - connect Oppo to Marantz for both audio and video, then connect Marantz to TV.

I don’t care about new fancy audio formats, but do want to retain good video quality from Oppo, so it seems OP1 makes more sense. What do you suggest?

Last edited by SAPHANA; 05-10-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:08 AM

OP 2. no bueno if you watch UHD movies - the AV8801 is not HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 compatible so any new UHD titles you play will get downgraded.

I suggest OP 3. use Oppo as processor and up to 7.1

connect direct from pre out of Oppo to power amps and use Oppo for volume control.

The Oppo 205 DAC is very very good
Old 05-11-2018, 02:27 AM
Blown & Injected

I connect my 205 to an Integra DHC-80.6 AVP with a 75" Sony 900E display. The 80.6 is UHD compatible and I have it set to pass video native to the source with no scaling. Main reason is that the scaler in the TV is markedly better for the cable box. The 205 is my only other video source and its video capabilities obviously don't require scaling.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
OP 2. no bueno if you watch UHD movies - the AV8801 is not HDMI 2.0/HDCP2.2 compatible so any new UHD titles you play will get downgraded.

I suggest OP 3. use Oppo as processor and up to 7.1

connect direct from pre out of Oppo to power amps and use Oppo for volume control.

The Oppo 205 DAC is very very good

Yes Oppo is excellent in both video and audio, and that’s why I have enjoyed its analog output for years (my previous player was 105D).

Your suggested OP3 is like my current approach but using Oppo as volume control. The reason that I want to change it is to take advantage of my extra amp and speakers. I understand many folks stick to 7.1 but I want to try something new (to me).

Last edited by SAPHANA; 05-11-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacman View Post
I connect my 205 to an Integra DHC-80.6 AVP with a 75" Sony 900E display. The 80.6 is UHD compatible and I have it set to pass video native to the source with no scaling. Main reason is that the scaler in the TV is markedly better for the cable box. The 205 is my only other video source and its video capabilities obviously don't require scaling.

Yes, if the receiver/processor supports 4K pass through, I believe your way is the way to go for most people.

In fact, in my current setup, I have a cheap Onkyo 4K receiver which I did not mention in the original post. I have several other 4K devices that need AV output, so I connect them to the receiver, then feed the HDMI output of the receiver to the HDMI input of Oppo 205.

Last edited by SAPHANA; 05-11-2018 at 03:52 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:41 AM

If you want something different but don’t want to lose the SQ of the Oppo, you’d have to at least upgrading to something like the Marantz AV8802A or 8805.

I have the 8802A and it is imho very very good. I love the AKM4490 discrete DACs in the Marantz for each channel. The 8805 is just out so you might be able to pick up the 8802A on clearance.

I have tried passing through the Oppo 205 before but it can be a bit clunky and I had sync issues with my projector until I decided to upgrade from my 8801 to the 8802.

The 8801 doesn’t do Atmos or DTSX so it’s not worth using it to get 11 channel audio.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiehowser View Post
If you want something different but don’t want to lose the SQ of the Oppo, you’d have to at least upgrading to something like the Marantz AV8802A or 8805.

I have the 8802A and it is imho very very good. I love the AKM4490 discrete DACs in the Marantz for each channel. The 8805 is just out so you might be able to pick up the 8802A on clearance.

I have tried passing through the Oppo 205 before but it can be a bit clunky and I had sync issues with my projector until I decided to upgrade from my 8801 to the 8802.

The 8801 doesn’t do Atmos or DTSX so it’s not worth using it to get 11 channel audio.

I did consider 8802A, but decided to stick to my 8801, because I don’t want to spend more on my HT systems. 8801 is already good enough to me. I don’t care too much about new audio formats, but do care about channel count. I am still enjoying a McIntosh MX121 (which is “worse” than 8801) in my another HT system
Old 12-18-2018, 01:52 PM

I run my 205 HDMI bit-stream audio to my Classe CT-SSP and 4k Video directly to TV, its pretty great this way, there are some fussing to be done to get the lipsync correct. I think its still off a little bit really don't notice while engaged in watching a movie.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossback rossi View Post
I run my 205 HDMI bit-stream audio to my Classe CT-SSP and 4k Video directly to TV, its pretty great this way, there are some fussing to be done to get the lipsync correct. I think its still off a little bit really don't notice while engaged in watching a movie.

Currently I connect my Oppo 205’s video output to projector and audio output to Marantz 8801. Haven’s seen any issues about lip sync yet.
Old 12-19-2018, 01:18 PM

Yes I do to both via a separate HDMI and I use analog for 7.1 as well and HDMI for audio too, I swap back and forth via the MX 150