AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K version of Passengers. In the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she noticed and was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't seem to concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she has become aware of just what 4K is capable of delivering on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, HDR black levels, and picture clarity are exceptional.
Dan...I have Passengers on Blu-ray, but not yet in 4K. I guess I'll have to spring for it....

UPDATE: Order placed, arriving tomorrow....

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 05-04-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 AM
Semi-audiophile

Congrats to all on their 4K experiences. It sounds awesome! I enjoy reading these posts.

I remember going to one of the Value Electronics annual shoot-outs and had a side-by-side comparison with 4K and 1080p at 65". I had to get very close to the screen before the differences were obvious, about 3 feet. No one (I hope) sits that close to their screen. The factors of screen size and distance are huge. Just as with 1080p and 720p, depending upon how far back you sat, the difference was hard to see.

I still have my Pioneer Elite PRO-111FD plasma, which is still kicking out the jams after almost 10 years. That's a 50" screen, and I've enjoyed its picture the whole time. Recently, the idea has crept into my mind that going to a larger screen would be nice, but given my situation that means a 55" set, no bigger. At the most recent shootout I attended (two yeas ago now) I preferred the Sony 4K OLED over LG's because the Sony had better video processing and sound, though I thought the LG had better color. As for content, my primary interest is in "special interest" type stuff and music, though I've been buying some of the latest superhero blockbusters on blu-ray. A new TV is one of four possible last-gasp upgrades before the reality of approaching retirement hits and such purchases make no practical (or financial) sense. For the record, the other three upgrades would be a new turntable, equipment racks or speakers.

That the 4K idea hasn't gone away may not be a good sign, and this thread's not going to help. Maybe I should just stay away .
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-02-2019, 11:35 AM

Don't forget that major advantages of 4K go beyond resolution. They also include high dynamic range and expanded color palette.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:53 AM

I made the move late last year from my Panasonic 65” VT50 plasma to a Sony 75” X900F in my living room. My calibrated VT50 was a stunning set, but it also presented the struggles with plasma burn-in avoidance that drove me crazy. I love the Sony even though it’s not an OLED panel. It calibrated very nicely, the picture on Dolby Vision content is stunning, and in my “smallish” living room the 4K picture definitely is discernible over the plasma. The only problem for me is it led me down the path of upgrading my AV receiver (MX121 to MX122) to 4K capable and upgrading my Oppo from a 105D to a 205. I also upgraded the patio TV to 4K. So, my one panel cost me a little more than anticipated! No retreats however!
Supporting System: McIntosh MX122 A/V Center; MC205 Amplifier; Bryston 14bSST2 Amplifier; PS Audio P10 Power Reconditioner; Revel Salon 2 Mains; Revel Voice 2 CC; JL Audio f113v2 (2); JL Audio CR-1 Crossover; Focal IC1002 Surrounds
Old 02-02-2019, 04:00 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Don't forget that major advantages of 4K go beyond resolution. They also include high dynamic range and expanded color palette.
I agree with you, actually. Resolution is only one piece of the pie, but I think it gets an inordinate amount of play relative to the other things 4K offers. The new tech is even referenced by its resolution because that will ring best with the public.

I have three obstacles to going after a new set: money, lack of content that I prefer (not big on movies generally), and the fact that my current TV still has an excellent picture with no hitches. I have a 4K-capable Pioneer Elite player, which I got in case I went for a new set, but those three obstacles are pesky and persistent. If I did spring for a new set, it would be because of the bigger screen.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 02-09-2019, 01:01 PM

4K HDR/Dolby Vision equipped tc's are nice , i got my first one in 2017 and is a Sony.
I prefer to buy sony's but when i saw the OLED's were the preferred choice among
plasma owners upgrading, i had to hunt OLED. I bought a 2016 LG OLED model with the curved screen. I was glad i found a 2016 model as it's the last yr 3D was supported.
the 4K OLED HDR/Dolby Vision is nicer than the sony 4K HDR, with no dolby vision support
in 2018 Sony released an OLED of their own but only in 2 sizes, 55" & 65"
as a previous Plasma owner/enjoyer, I do see why the OLED is preferred among
those upgrading.

Hbar
Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
It is apparent to me that I have some self-control issues. Take my interest in 4K television as an example. I started out thinking it was time to upgrade the living room TV from a 52" 1080P set. After some procrastination, which I'm fairly good at, I decided to purchase a new 65" Sony 4K television and an Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. That's a nice upgrade for the living room. When I got to the store to buy the 65" television I could not resist the urge to upgrade the 42" bedroom TV while I was at it, so I also bought a 49" Sony 4K set for the bedroom. Okay, now all is well. I got everything installed and was thoroughly impressed with the 4K televisions. A couple weeks went by and I kept thinking about the 52" Sony 1080P television in the studio, so like a house of cards in a stiff breeze I crumbled and purchased a 55" Sony 4K set for the studio and ordered another Oppo UDP-203 to go with it. Things are looking good, but something was still nagging at me. Things were not quite 100% complete, that is until today when my third Oppo UDP-203 arrived for the bedroom. Finally, the cherry on top. I am now enjoying 4K TV and Ultra Blu-ray discs in the living room, the bedroom, and the studio.

Phew, I think I'm good, at least for a little while.
65" Sony 4K television, can you supply the model number please, my Father In Law wants to up-date his old Plasma before the Rugby World Cup starts later this year.

Ta

Nick
Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 PM

Pssss.... badly kept secret— Among the 4308 lines Ivan sells is Sony televisions.
Dynaudio Heritage Special. Uptone Audio EtherRegen Ethernet Switch. Akasa NUC 10i7 with Roon Rock. Bryston BDP-3 Digital Music Player (with 4 Tb Internal SSD and Synology DS920+ NAS)-->Holo Audio May Kitsune Edition DAC-->Shunyata Sigma USB—>Gryphon Diablo 120 Integreted Amp w Transpatent XL PC. Oppo BDP-105D and BDP-203. Power: Shunyata Hydra Sigma S12 PD. Additional Cabling: WW Silver Electra PC, WW Electra PC, Shunyata Venom 3 PC. Digital: WW Starlight Ethernet, WW Gold Starlight AES-EBU, WW Platinum Starlight USB. IC and Speaker: WW Eclipse 8.

Bedroom System
Ipad with MusicStreamer App-->Schiit Jotunheim DAC/Amp—>Audeze LCD-XC, Focal for Bentley Radiance HO, Massdrop E-MU Teak HP. AK SE 200 DAP.

Mobile Survival Kit
Astell & Kern SP1000M. Noble Kaiser Encore IEM with Double Helix Balanced cable, Westone W80 IEM w ALOaudio Ref 8 cable, Westone W60 IEM, Shure se535 Ltd with Westone Bluetooth Wireless cable-amp. Mark Levinson No. 5909 Wireless HP.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
65" Sony 4K television, can you supply the model number please, my Father In Law wants to up-date his old Plasma before the Rugby World Cup starts later this year.
Nick.......Mine is the Sony XBR65X900E. Last years model. I think the newest one is the Sony XBR65X930E

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 PM

Thanks Dan, both are available in New Zealand- either model will be just perfect for the Father-In-Law!