AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Old 04-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Default 4K all the way

It is apparent to me that I have some self-control issues. Take my interest in 4K television as an example. I started out thinking it was time to upgrade the living room TV from a 52" 1080P set. After some procrastination, which I'm fairly good at, I decided to purchase a new 65" Sony 4K television and an Oppo UDP-203 4K Ultra Blu-ray player. That's a nice upgrade for the living room. When I got to the store to buy the 65" television I could not resist the urge to upgrade the 42" bedroom TV while I was at it, so I also bought a 49" Sony 4K set for the bedroom. Okay, now all is well. I got everything installed and was thoroughly impressed with the 4K televisions. A couple weeks went by and I kept thinking about the 52" Sony 1080P television in the studio, so like a house of cards in a stiff breeze I crumbled and purchased a 55" Sony 4K set for the studio and ordered another Oppo UDP-203 to go with it. Things are looking good, but something was still nagging at me. Things were not quite 100% complete, that is until today when my third Oppo UDP-203 arrived for the bedroom. Finally, the cherry on top. I am now enjoying 4K TV and Ultra Blu-ray discs in the living room, the bedroom, and the studio.

Phew, I think I'm good, at least for a little while.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 04-27-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:58 PM

Default 4K all the way

Chalk that up as payback for all the times your reviews and recommendations made us buy stuff we didn’t even know existed.

Last edited by Cohibaman; 04-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......Touché.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 04-27-2018, 05:39 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K version of Passengers. In the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she noticed and was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't seem to concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she has become aware of just what 4K is capable of delivering on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, HDR black levels, and picture clarity are exceptional.

Last edited by jdandy; 04-27-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:01 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Normally, Marlene is the last to notice differences in television picture quality. She is more into the programming, so picture clarity and resolution aren't at the top of her priority list. Last night we watched the 4K version of Passengers. In the first couple of minutes she said to me that the picture looked so much sharper and brighter than DVD movies we watch. I was surprised she noticed and was impressed enough to comment on the picture quality because normally those things don't seem to concern her viewing enjoyment. Now that she has become aware of just what 4K is capable of delivering on the screen I think she will be quicker to identify picture quality differences between the various sources. I was pleased she noticed the improvement.

By the way, the movie Passengers was filmed and edited in 4K, not upconverted from 2K like many of the so-called 4K movies coming out. The color saturation, HDR black levels, and picture clarity are exceptional.
Enjoy the 4K Dan......when my wife notices positive differences in audio video quality, that’s how I know I’ve made a quality purchase since she doesn’t really care all that much!

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 04-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post

jdandy,

You picked a great movie for your wife to view. The opening scene with the flyby shows how good 4K and HDR can look when done properly. Pacific Rim is another good HDR demo however, I don't know if your wife will like it.

V Sharp
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:38 PM
From the BAT cave ...

Dan, I recently got on the 4K/HDR train myself (Sony projector/LG TV) and I completely agree with you - the bang for the buck is definitely there.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohibaman View Post

Chalk that up as payback for all the times your reviews and recommendations made us buy stuff we didn’t even know existed.

Hahaha, ain't that the truth!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 AM
Blown & Injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
jdandy,

You picked a great movie for your wife to view. The opening scene with the flyby shows how good 4K and HDR can look when done properly. Pacific Rim is another good HDR demo however, I don't know if your wife will like it.

V Sharp
Not yet seen it, and it's in Atmos to boot! Should I snag a copy?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:04 PM

Yes!
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v